Be careful buying used iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stayfly2407, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

With apple using the same name with all these iPads on the box, and the boxes looking identical like the ipad2 and the new iPad. There's no way to distinguish the 2 from the new. Someone could say they have the new iPad for sale & put their old ipad2 in it. Be weary

2. urkel macrumors 68030

:p

At least you're getting something. There's always Craigslist stories where the ripoff leads to a person losing both the money AND the product.

3. deeddawg, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

You must have been weary when posting this, as (and I mean this with respect) you are incorrect about the boxes being the same if we can believe Apple's website. See below. Similar, yes. Same? No.

There's also the matter that anyone buying one in person who doesn't read the model # and config on the back of the box to ensure it's whats expected then match the serial number on the box against the serial number on the back of the ipad inside the box is just begging to be scammed. I'm not saying being stupid make it so you deserve to get scammed, but I find it difficult to be sympathetic if the most basic fact checking would have prevented it.

Craigslist robberies almost always seem to have "It didn't feel right" as part of the story. I've done lots of CL transactions, never a problem. Talk to the people. Meet indoors in daylight in a public place with no crowds and preferably limited exits. Coffee shop or small cafe. Parking lots and mall food courts are too easy for a crook to grab the money or item and run off into the crowd or waiting car. Get there sufficiently in advance that you can choose a seat facing and away from the door, plus nobody knows what you drove. Follow your instincts, if it doesn't feel right don't do it.

iPad2 box: http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/images/ipad_2_box.png
    [​IMG]

new iPad box: http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/images/new_ipad_box.png
    [​IMG]

4. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

there are always cruces so be carful

now if you buy the new iPad from a person not a store so u r paying extra for sure,
    so only pickup personally no shipping,

5. number84 macrumors 6502

if you know what to look for, you can tell the difference. the box is slightly different: 1) background on the iPad is blue for the new iPad; 2) there's an iCloud sticker on one of the sides.

as for the iPad itself, turn it on and you can probably tell by the retina screen and check the model number. also, the rear camera is bigger, but that is probably more of a subtle difference unless you had an iPad 2 previously.

6. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

That doesn't stop a scammer from taking the iPad out of the actual iPad box, adding something inside to offset the reduced weight, and then shrink wrapping it again. Although opening the box is an easy way to avoid buy 1.5 lbs of wood or rocks.

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Are you actually suggesting that someone would buy an iPad from a stranger and not even open the box to make sure it wasn't full of rocks? :rolleyes:

8. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

That is exactly what I am suggesting. Have you looked around lately at some of the people that are wandering around this planet? I'm sure I could find 10 people within a 5 block radius of where I am sitting right now that would buy an iPad that was wrapped and not open it.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I've sold my iPhone 3 and original iPad via Craigslist and a meeting at Starbucks and had easy transactions. I'll sell iPad 2 this Saturday the same way.

Since I'm a petite girl, I've always brought along my husband just as a second person, and we all sit down at a table and the buyer gets to thoroughly inspect the original packaging and unit, and make sure it turns on, apps launch, etc.

I've heard Craigslist horror stories of people picking up the iPad and running out of the coffee shop, but so far I've met nice, normal people that wanted the transaction done as quickly as I did. :)

10. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Yea, i always sell all my stuff on Craigs. Iphone 4, Iphone 4S, Ipad 1, and Ipad 2, all smooth transactions. But alot of people may not even notice the wallpapers on the box are different. And you can just google that same wallpaper and it shows up, easily making that your wallpaper on someones old ipad2. This is a post just to be weary buying from someone espically if this is your first ipad.

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

On Ebay they will most likely adopt the "Early 2012" designation, like they do with the MacBooks. This eliminates any ambiguity.

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Anybody that stupid doesn't deserve to be wandering around this planet. :D

13. tommot82 macrumors regular

When you place an order for a new ipad on apple website it actually lists it as New iPad (3rd Generation). just like the old ipods

14. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

You also might want to thoroughly disinfect your used iPad to remove any fecal matter on it.

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Things like that are very rare and make a splash in the media but are not realistically worth worrying about too much. I can't see somebody going through that much trouble to meet somebody and leave a paper trail behind of emails and or text messages just to snatch an iPad out of your hands and run.

If you wanted to do that, just waltz into any crowded public area and snatch somebody's iPad out of their hands and run. Much easier and safer if you're the thief. ;)

Use common sense and you will be fine.

16. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you can't spot a fake, you don't deserve the original. It's not exactly hard to open up the box and look at what iPad it is anyway, they do have enough differences to be able to tell. Hell, the box itself is enough.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

I always verify serial numbers on Apple's website.

Cause some idiots claim "brand new" when I ask for serial number, they don't respond back.

Of course, they will find a sucker on craigslist.