Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I’d be fine with iOS if developers would get some of my professional app’s working on it. But as it stands, that’s honestly looking less and less likely. It sucks that we have lightning fast hardware with only a handful of app’s that take advantage of it.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
No. Make better iOS apps. The processing power is there and iOS should be at least as efficient to execute code as MacOS. Many tasks and apps typically need large screens for efficient interactions so rather make a 17-20 inch desktop "iPad" than putting MacOS on a small screen device. We see a co-development of apps and hardware at the moment so it will take some time before we get desktop apps to iOS.

Reactions: secretk and ejin222

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I’ve been a big follower of Steve Jobs, read his books and some of his papers, and he always likened the PC industry to the automobile industry. ie we always will have garbage trucks, motorcycles, sports cars, SUV and tons of other vehicles a variety is always needed.

Which is why I like iPad OS. Being it’s own separate secure OS which is safe and fast and has features a MacBook Or Mac Desktop does not have. Also developers would have a nightmare coding emulation you run x86 software on Arm A12X CPU not to mention a 4GB -6GB RAM limit.

So I’d say no being honest I would not like to see, the iPad Pro run Mac OS. Tell us why you think different or why you agree ?
I’m with you.
I like iPadOS for being more open and more capable than “old iOS”, for sure. I hope about multi users development in the future, too.
But I don’t want macOS on an iPad. Apple is not Microsoft.
[automerge]1578042097[/automerge]
Good: Ipad running MacOS.
Better: Ipad running Windows 10.
fortunately it won’t happens.
I’d like to keep that garbage as far from my ipad as i can.

Reactions: ericwn and brucemr

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
I would think that an iPad could not run a desktop version of OS X (Catalina, Mojave) since Bionic processors are ARM architecture, and OS X runs under x86-64.
That the iPad had OS X would be a super breakthrough but it would be weird since it would compete directly against Macbooks.
I think the revolution that Apple should take is to make its own processors and stop relying on Intel.
Actually he had to do this before, currently the Desktop and Notebook PC market I think it will go down over the years.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Never, that would be a huge step back in my eyes. iPadOS already has a bunch of advantages over macOS. I tried it the other day and everything felt so slow and dated. Apple should stay the course they are on and continue to develop iPadOS. No reason to go back in time.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
In reality, the question is moot because of the arm vs x86 problem. On top of that, the two OSes along with their corresponding apps and hardware, are designed with conflicting emphases—one for mobility and simplicity, the other for power and customizability. The hardware and software are made for each other specifically, so it’s not simply a matter of mixing and matching whichever software and hardware one wants.

Hypothetically, if macOS could somehow run on an iPad well, I would first ask which iPad we’re talking about. For my iPad Mini, I wouldn’t see the point of running macOS. For my 12.9”, yes, it would be beneficial to have that option since ipadOS doesn’t always do what I need (again, purely hypothetically). In fact, on the 12.9” size device, I never truly need ipadOS other than Pencil functionality, so if I had to choose a single boot OS, it would be macOS, if it supported the Pencil.

But as it is, I can only use the Pencil on ipadOS, and it works out well enough.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
To me mobile shouldn’t be inferior or gimped even. Take the Facebook philosophy on mobile development. Facebook has a different approach on mobile va desktop but can essentially accomplish the same things.

evilmurries

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I would like to see the iPad be able to adopt some aspects of macOS in order to make it a more full fledged operating system. If there are features that can make iOS a more stand alone platform / laptop replacement, they should be considered.

Some of the big ones (already mentioned most) are mouse control, file management, and deeper software capability across the board. While I do think iOS should be its own unique thing, better interoperability with macOS would be awesome. For instance, my pipe dream is to be able to code on an iPad, and send the information over to my mac for rendering / execution / testing.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Personally I'd just like a MacBook that had really thin bezels and used the iPad Pro's processor. It seems really powerful and power efficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.