Be interesting how well Siri does work...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Oct 9, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Looking forward to all of your reviews as sometimes what works successfully on ne key note doesn't always for everybody else.

2. efyou macrumors regular

Hopefully it recognizes what I'm saying better than google voice does. (I'm sure it will)

3. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I was very impressed with the demo. Im sure itl work fine!

4. richard.torble macrumors member

richard.torble

I've been very impressed with the demo as well. It could be amazing but it could also be complete rubbish. Not because of the software itself but because the real world may just make it impossible to use. You ever used your Sat Nav voice control when connected to your phone? It's impossible. It cannot hear you over the road noise. Actually talking to someone is even worse, the only thing anyone has ever said to me over that is "What?", "I can't hear you" and "Don't worry, I'll call you later"

It also needs a WiFi/3G connection to work. If you're not in one, it won't work. So if you live in the country, you will be quite limited.

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Good point. I hope it will be as good in the real world as it was in the demo. I can imagine myself using it all the time. I live in the Netherlands, but I'll put it on English to get the best results.

It'll be cool to track how much gas i buy. Fill my car up , get in drive off and just tell Siri Note that I spent 50 euro's on gasoline.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think the demo is only really proof of concept. They clearly set it up and made sure to say things in the way that it would definitely understand. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but I want to see how accurate she is.

7. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I'm gonna ask that women a lot of questions to see how good she really is :p

8. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

I was just wondering if you could use Siri for translation .. like could you ask it .. what's spanish for good to meet you ?

or even better if you speak to some one who doesn't speak your language .. you could hold ur phone up to the person .. and siri would know what language the person is speaking and then convert it for me .. it this possible ? that'd be so epicly coool

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Pretty sure thats not possible , yet. Otherwise they would have demoed it. But an epic idea for sure. That would be great to have. And I don't see why they couldn't do that

10. iBram15 macrumors member

iBram15

It's still Beta, so I think it would be possible in the future, maybe iOS 6?

11. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

Has anyone here used dragon naturally speaking on their
    PC? Its nuance's flagship product.

It is pretty good but it is not even close to 100% in the real world and therein lies the problem. Once you have to start correcting stuff, it is game over and people stop using it.

I am LOLing at people who think they can text with siri in their car while driving. the background noise will be crazy. Odds are that your phone will be on a car holder feets away from your mouth. No way in hell are you gonna get accuracy to make it practical.

My issue isnt about how good siri is as a piece of software/ Even before we go there, you have the issue of voice to text which is nowhere near good enough to be practical to use in a phone in the real world.

I think a lot of you have bought into the apple coolaid and are setting yourself up for disappointment.

12. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

what I really want to know is if I can use to activate bluetooth, (i.e. Siri, turn bluetooth on or off depending what state it is currently in).

13. richard.torble macrumors member

richard.torble

Interestingly, in the video, the guy was using the in-line microphone to speak the text and the car wasn't even moving!

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

DNS is pretty damn good now. Even if it's not 100%, Siri commands aren't just dictation, it can understand context and intent because it has sets of actions it can perform. This aids in allowing it to perform these actions even if it's 95% sure it knew what you said rather than the 100% you'd need for dictation for an accurate result. I think.

Well, you'd pick up the phone and do it. My car is quiet. The Maybach 62 has great insulation :D

To be fair, it offloads the voice onto extremely powerful servers, it's not all getting processed on the phone.

For dictation, I think you're right. I don't think you're right for the commands and stuff.

15. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

that would be great! no need to go through settings to toggle switches like that would be a huge time saver! every second counts

16. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I hope it works well. Only problem I might have with it is that I talk pretty fast so I hope it picks up what I say.

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Google voice was great on samsung galaxy s2. I have high hopes for iphone

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I know few people that could sit down and in 30 seconds type out a full page of text with punctuation and formatting and not make multiple errors. If your goal is 100 % with dictation then that's not going to happen but 90% correct entry with proper punctuation and formatting is something DNS user who have used the program do everyday.

It gets better though. With DNS you can setup macros that you call via voice. Doctors or Lawyers can simply utter " New Client intake form" and the entire form pops on the page and allows you to tab and fill out forms solely with the voice commands.

The only thing that has stopped people from moving to programs to DNS in larger numbers is the price and their fear or accents and inability to enunciate properly.

19. Saberj macrumors regular

Not to mention, dictation on a text message will be a lot easier than with a full page of text. And it's supposed to read it back to you when you are done. I don't think it will be perfect, but I don't think it will be much trouble, either.

20. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I think it's going to work well. I never use the regular voice control on most phones but I think I'll actually use Siri a lot because of all the stuff it can do.

21. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

If it pass a recognition of my british english with an italian accent, then is good.