Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I guarantee you, if you know how to shoot, have the time, the extra hardware and software, you'll make better movies with an iPhone 7 than others with a Pro.
To make it easyer:
NEW PHONE with features vs OLD PHONE with SKILLS
Which one are you?

Last edited:

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I'll be sincere.

3 long trips a year and I add up around 3000 photos at least. I do have a family and job, so less time for the rest of the year.
I know where you are going, but I will definitely pay up to what I can to have some wonderful memories to cherish upon in the Highest quality feasible. DSLR remains out of the question when you have little ones around in those times and they tend to come out of bag less frequently.

10 years from now.. even 4K videos will be less. Time will not come back, memories will stay.

Best part is, there's very little learning curve..

Now if I did not have the money, I would have enjoyed the iPhone 7 which I had few years back.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I have kids, and over the years my pictures of them have been taken more and more with iPhones than other cameras - in fact, I sold my DSLR several years ago because I found I just wasn't using it. For me, every camera upgrade is worthwhile, in that it means I'll have higher quality photos to work with (to print, to edit, to share, etc) and since organic photo ops are literally once-in-a-lifetime events, I want as good a camera as possible. I'm really excited to upgrade my iPhone X to the iPhone 11 Pro Max, mainly for the cameras (and also the insanely upgraded battery) ...

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
A skilled photographer can take amazing photos with whatever you put in their hands, even a box brownie.

What the improvements in the camera systems really help with, is allowing amateurs, or less skilled photographers/videographers take better shots with ease. So as a rule of thumb, I’d say any improvements are welcome considering the target market.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
What's this extra hardware you speak of? A professional video camera? I can take better videos with my Xs than I could with the 7 and I could probably have taken better videos with my 8 than with the 7 without "extra hardware and software".

Reactions: aFlockaCgulz

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I have kids, and over the years my pictures of them have been taken more and more with iPhones than other cameras - in fact, I sold my DSLR several years ago because I found I just wasn't using it. For me, every camera upgrade is worthwhile, in that it means I'll have higher quality photos to work with (to print, to edit, to share, etc) and since organic photo ops are literally once-in-a-lifetime events, I want as good a camera as possible. I'm really excited to upgrade my iPhone X to the iPhone 11 Pro Max, mainly for the cameras (and also the insanely upgraded battery) ...

Basically this. My wife was a big supporter of the SE.....until we had our baby. Then, one night she told me to pick up the XS for her because she realized the photos were not as good as the ones I took (especially with low light and all). Also with taking 4K 60FPS videos, all of the baby’s video are taken in that format, because well by the time she is old enough even 4K will be old tech. In the last few month her iCloud backup basically grew by 100GB. These are the moment you get once in a life time.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Basically this. My wife was a big supporter of the SE.....until we had our baby. Then, one night she told me to pick up the XS for her because she realized the photos were not as good as the ones I took (especially with low light and all). Also with taking 4K 60FPS videos, all of the baby’s video are taken in that format, because well by the time she is old enough even 4K will be old tech. In the last few month her iCloud backup basically grew by 100GB. These are the moment you get once in a life time.
Because these moments are once in a lifitime, you should really use more advanced equipment than a phone. Professional video camera.
Therefore your argument doesnt stand up for me.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Coffee_Time is this years troll for the 2019 release, ignore him.
If I was not intrested for the new iphone line, I wouldnt be here. Now Im a troll for wanting to buy the 11 Pro. Guess what? Yesterday Ive made my decision and bought the second LG V50 for my wife. Yes, Apple has lost it. ..... NOOOOOT about the money

screenshot-www.ebay.com-2019.09.18-15_34_46.png

Last edited:
Reactions: UltraInstinct

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
You were never interested in buying an iPhone based on your posts and the fact that you seem to need to tell everyone that you bought an LG V50. It's a good phone, don't need to justify it to everyone here since almost none of us are interested in it, there's an non-iOS/iPhone sub forum just for you :)

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
You were never interested in buying an iPhone based on your posts and the fact that you seem to need to tell everyone that you bought an LG V50. It's a good phone, don't need to justify it to everyone here since almost none of us are interested in it, there's an non-iOS/iPhone sub forum just for you :)
You allways seem to amaze me! Now you know why I'm in this forum.
[doublepost=1568810849][/doublepost]I was inches closer to buy the iphone Pro 256GB! Inches!
[doublepost=1568810955][/doublepost]But this is my stile, I'm more negativist and allways put the product I'm intrested in the worse light I can.
For sure iphone 11 Pro is a best buy IMO! Best BUY! Mark my words and we'll talk about it maybe in the beggining of 2020 when things settle down.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Because these moments are once in a lifitime, you should really use more advanced equipment than a phone. Professional video camera.
I have proven I can take great photos with my iPhone. I can also take the crappiest of pictures with my DSLRs.
I have captured some pictures that are mediocre that are more meaningful than some perfect pictures I have take.

IMO the picture may not be perfect but the the story, event and/or memory is crystal clear.

Reactions: swandy and SMacDuff

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A professional video camera...do most typical people work in Hollywood doing filming?

Reactions: SMacDuff

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
A buddy and I owned a photography/videography business for years after we graduated high school, doing everything from weddings, to engagements, to babies, to clothing companies product shots and lots of music videos, but it got old quick, between non-paying clients to people wanting everything for almost free, we gave up our studio and business but still shoot for a select few clients that always treated us right.

To be honest, the iPhone X I am using shoots amazing video, paired with some external lenses, stabilizers and rigs, I use it more than pulling out my DSLR especially when out of town.

So to answer your question, yes I REALLY record a lot (my 256gb X is almost full - about 10gb left) and want the new camera features.

Reactions: Azathoth123

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
A buddy and I owned a photography/videography business for years after we graduated high school, doing everything from weddings, to engagements, to babies, to clothing companies product shots and lots of music videos, but it got old quick, between non-paying clients to people wanting everything for almost free, we gave up our studio and business but still shoot for a select few clients that always treated us right.

To be honest, the iPhone X I am using shoots amazing video, paired with some external lenses, stabilizers and rigs, I use it more than pulling out my DSLR especially when out of town.

So to answer your question, yes I REALLY record a lot (my 256gb X is almost full - about 10gb left) and want the new camera features.
And I bet you'll make better final videos witth your X than 99% of the new Iphone 11 PRO users in this forum. That was my point. It's not about the features, it's way more about who uses them.
I'm also a noob who shots and records, in some sort of "BULK" videos, his children growing up hopeing that one day, I'll learn to edit those bulks into something magnificent.
Just Saturday I made 4.93 GB of photos and small videos capturing what I think are unique moments.
Over 43 GB with my new phone from 31 july. Who's telling me 64 GB is enough, doesn't know what he's talking about. Especially if you have iOS and can't move them to a laptop like android does.

Last edited:

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I'll be sincere.

3 long trips a year and I add up around 3000 photos at least. I do have a family and job, so less time for the rest of the year.
I know where you are going, but I will definitely pay up to what I can to have some wonderful memories to cherish upon in the Highest quality feasible. DSLR remains out of the question when you have little ones around in those times and they tend to come out of bag less frequently.

10 years from now.. even 4K videos will be less. Time will not come back, memories will stay.

Best part is, there's very little learning curve..

Now if I did not have the money, I would have enjoyed the iPhone 7 which I had few years back.

This is the thing that makes me lean from a perfectly good iPhone 8 to one of the new models. It's not so much that I need a new phone today, it's that I worry years down the road my kid's pictures just won't appear as clear/crisp/wonderful as they could when I look back with future standards.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Seems like it wasn’t quite so much me that was doing that.
Why?
[doublepost=1568815580][/doublepost]
What's this extra hardware you speak of? A professional video camera? I can take better videos with my Xs than I could with the 7 and I could probably have taken better videos with my 8 than with the 7 without "extra hardware and software".
Extra hardware related to the phone. Extra lenses, gizmos, etc

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Right, because my professional video camera is in my pocket as I run alongside my son, whose training wheels I just took off, and is now riding a bicycle, unassisted, for the first time ever. Lol

What WAS in my pocket that day was my iPhone, and I managed to take a great picture of him as I ran alongside him (great motion blur behind him, while he remained focused and clear) ... and that's a memory I will always cherish. I definitely prefer to be 'in the moment' as much as possible (not distracted by cameras and phones, etc) but when opportunities like that present themselves, why NOT have the best camera available, right in your pocket? It's not rocket science.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.