Be Sure to User American Express Tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FarSeide, Jul 10, 2008.

1. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

If you have an American Express Card, be sure to use that to make your purchase. Amex protects your purchase incase you get a defective unit and at&t or Apple refuses to exchange the item for you. They will also protect you against price reduction if Apple decides to start lowering their price after you made your purchase.

I dont work for Amex but I thought I would just share my experience.

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

And Amex will also replace your iphone if it is stolen or lost within 90 days. Just need a police report to file the claim.

I too, dont work for Amex.

3. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Damn, lucky Amex people. Barclaycard used to do that here in the UK but I think they stopped, must have been loosing too much money through it.

4. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I forgot to mention that Amex also offers extended warranty (1 Year Beyond your iPhone warranty). I think you have to pay additional fees for this but I'm pretty sure its cheaper than the Apple Care.

5. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

No fee for the extra protection. Visa does. You do have to pay upfront for the repair, Amex will pay you back. Of course, open a case with Amex before your repair.

6. ceiph macrumors regular

my bank (fifth thiird) has a gold debit mastercard that will double warrenty, 90 accidental and stolen protection and price assurance. so its not just amex.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Good luck getting Apple, O2 or Carphone Warehouse to accept American Express. It really is the most rejected card of all.

If you have Amex, consider switching to Visa or Mastercard and save yourself a lot of hassle and embarrassment.

8. David G. macrumors 65816

The Apple Store accepts Amex, i just checked the :apple: website. Don't know about the others.

9. twynne macrumors 6502a

So does CPW - I used it for my iPhone purchase and to verify my identity.

10. koshper macrumors member

bought my iphone from CPW this afternoon with AMEX (UK)

11. island macrumors 6502

island

12. elbirth macrumors 65816

are you sure this is true for all Amex cards? I thought I recalled reading somewhere that this was only a feature of select versions of the card. If it is for all, then great. I was going to use my Amex One card anyway

13. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

i thought the iPhone wasnt on sale until the 11th?

14. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Do you work for Visa?? Of course Apple accepts Amex. I have used there numerous times. There is no hassle or embarrassment.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

... unless you insist on holding it up to your face and saying "I never leave home without it!". :)

16. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

maybe he is bitter cause he cant get AX ?

17. szsz macrumors newbie

:confused:

I've never NOT used my Amex to buy Apple products. And yes, I have a bunch of them.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I tell people who don't take Amex to pound sand. I'll take my business elsewhere.

And Apple will gladly take it. They have for all my purchases and it's the ONLY card I use.

And yes, I DO work for them.

19. elbirth macrumors 65816

In the UK, it IS the 11th already

20. MathiasMag macrumors member

Who is this embarrassing for? Surely the store that doesn't accept one of the major credit cards in existence? Having a card rejected due to insufficient funds or credit may be embarrassing, but not if the store isn't important enough to accept the card.

Right, but that comment was in response to koshper having bought the iphone in UK "this afternoon", I think very few transactions has occurred in UK in the afternoon of July 11 2008 at this point.

21. CyberGreg macrumors regular

yup... what ^^^ he said... well except for the "work for them" part. If a business doesn't take AMEX most likely they will not get my business.

PS AMEX IS the business card, Visa wishes it was "everywhere you wanted to be".
    ;-)

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The fact that you can only get an American Express card from American Express is a real stumbling block too. My credit card was issued by my bank.

23. MV ROB macrumors member

You might want to double check on this to be sure. I have been on the phone with AMEX and some of my other credit card companies to find out all my benefits of each card. I knew AMEX offered an extended warranty and other stuff. I was doing this research before i purchased my macbook air (which will be here tomorrow!) Anyways, AMEX no longer offers the price guarantee that they used to. They dont offer it on ANY of their cards. They do offer the replacement deal if it gets damaged or stolen, but not lost (yes i confirmed this twice) Also, the extended warranty will extend UP to one year. So if you have a one year warrranty it extends it to two. If you buy applecare as i will on my macbook air, it extends it one year past the three years offering a total of 4 years. Now i didnt get the specifics of how they handle it, but 4 years of warranty for me on a macbook air is good enough for me. Ten to one i wont keep it that long anyways. They did tell me it will also extend the warranty one year on the iphone as well. Call your amex and have them connect you to that department as they did with me. Certain and specific documents must be kept if you ever file a claim. But again, price guarantee and lost no longer are covered with any AMEX card
    And yes i will be using my AMEX for my 2 iphone purchases as well!

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I just checked on the American Express site and it seems that they charge £60.00 per year for the card alone. What a waste of money.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

hate to break it to you but most places accept AMEX. All major bussiness do. In the 6 months I have had my AMEX I have run in to 2 places where it got turned down. Both where small bussiness. One being my denist so it is not a big deal there. I am going to use checks from now on any how. the other was a small resturant.

But for everything else they take it. It is very rare to get it turned down. Also most people who carry an AMEX carry a back up card that is either VISA or Matercard. And it really is no embrassment more just kind of ok damn here is my other card.

More false crap from the same guy. Go check the site again. They offer a lot of cards that have no fees. I have blue cash card. Guess what NO FEES. The charge cards carry a fee but there credit cards do not.

Really do some research instead of spitting out this crap......

Lastly what is the problem of not getting the card from a bank. Hell most of our credit cards we use today are not back by our bank. It seems to be back by Bank1, and chase being the big 2.