BE WARNED: MacMall 32-bit Windows 7 OEM with VM-Ware Fusion Bundle

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BC2009, Dec 7, 2009.

1. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

I ordered 2 x 27" iMacs with Core i5s (one for me and one for my wife). One has arrived, the other is still pending. I ordered both with OEM Windows-7 Home Premium and VMWare Fusion bundle.

The first came with 32-bit Win-7 on my 64-bit-supporting VMWare Fusion on a
    64-bit iMac. Hard to believe anybody would do that, but it happened.

Before I ordered the OEM Win-7 bundle with VMWare Fusion I clicked to read the "More Info" on the bundle and it describes it as "takes full advantage 64-bit hardware and memory"; HOWEVER, the product identifier says "32-bit" so I called (pre-sales) and I was told that it was a typo that occurred when they created the bundle. However it was apparently not the case.

MacMall is correcting the problem and getting me the 64-bit version at no cost (with a return of the same-priced 32-bit media), but it took some doing and alot of explaining as they did not seem to understand. I heard everything from:
    - Its a typo, you will get a 64-bit version (wrong)
    - Windows 7 Home Premium does not come in 64-bit, you have to buy Professional or Ultimate (wrong again)
    - The 32-bit version will still take full advantage of your 64-bit hardware (again wrong)

Eventually they agreed they made an error and they claim its because Parallels does not support 64-bit windows installations and they wanted their bundles to be consistent (not sure if that's true -- that could be wrong too).

I also got them to fix my pending order so that it now indicates a 64-bit windows-7 OEM installation in the item list so the installer tech does the right thing.

So if you have a pending order with an OEM WIndows 7 and VMWare Fusion you might want to give them a call and have them fix things before they ship. I was only able to fix things after the fact because I was on record as having previously asked to make sure it would be 64-bit and received a wrong answer followed by several others. If you call BEFORE they ship they should be able to help you since the 64-bit part number and 32-bit part number are both bundle priced at $105.99.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

unless you are doing some very heavy graphics or video work and have more than 4GB of RAM you will never notice the difference

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Whether the OP would notice the difference or not is irrelevant. If you don't get what you ordered, then it's worthy of a complaint :)

4. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

lolmao parrales does support 64bit OSes since like version 4(at 5 now)

5. BC2009 thread starter macrumors 68000

BC2009

I would notice....

The machines I ordered have 8GB of RAM and for development reasons I have encountered the need in the past to run a Java VM at more than 2GB of RAM (not possible with 32-bit).

On top of that, I intend to use these machines for the next 7 or 8 years (just like my last PCs). I'd rather not purchase another version of Windows in that time to run newer software that may require 64-bit in the future.

So I would say that in addition to "getting what I ordered", there are several good reasons to follow-up on it.