Beach ball frequency on Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AXs, Oct 27, 2013.

1. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Hey guys,

I'm using the new Macbook Air- Haswell i5/8/256 It was lightning fast on Mountain Lion. I only saw the infamous apple beach ball once from July up to this month... and that too an app was not responding and that's why.

But since I upgraded to Mavericks, I have been seeing it on a daily basis. Even when just browsing on safari.

Not that it's that big of a deal, but it just seems like there are more 'pauses' when using the Air.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

2. Lbrtn macrumors newbie

i wiped out my disk and made a clean installation of Mavericks on my mid-2011 Macbook Air yesterday and i'm experiencing the same issue. unlike with Os X Mountain Lion i see beachballs pretty frequently with Mavericks and on very simple tasks like opening Skype or opening of some small text document... i doesn't mean that the system freezes completely though, just the beachballs appear way too often and that made me suspicious.

3. daonesteven macrumors 6502

been noticing it as well. Upgraded on a mid-2011 11" from ML. I see at least a few during the course of the day and they last about a few seconds at most.

4. Oui macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I upgraded the same machine from ML to Mavericks and haven't seen a beach ball yet.

5. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Agreed, it appears for just maybe 2-3 sec and then goes away, but it does certainly and is frequent. I still feel ML was well 'snappier' for lack of a better word or maybe more fluid.

6. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

i'm having this same exact issue. mac mini late 2012 16gb of ddr3

7. robdrj45 macrumors member

Same here - I see it briefly a few times a day. Doesn't seem to impact performance, though. That said, I rarely saw it before upgrading.

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

weird - obviously you're not alone but i haven't had a single beachball since upgrading.

9. beachrat macrumors newbie

The so-called upgrade has completely killed Safari for me -- nothing but the beachball. Can't get in, won't load anything, nothing but a spinning circle of colorful fail. (Here thanks to Firefox!)

OS X 10.7.5 on a MacBook Pro circa 2011, 2.7 GHz intel core i7, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, couple hundred gigs of space on a 500 GB hard drive. Not sure what else to mention that could be helpful.

10. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

That's so strange. It's reversed for me. I used to get is so often for a few seconds when doing things like opening Skype or MS Word, but now it seems to happen way less often.

11. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Well it does not bug me, comes for just a sec mostly now. All in all, I am loving mavericks :D

12. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I have the same issues. I'll see the beach ball when I should never see it, like opening a new tab, or Pages or Skype.

It's just a few seconds, but its so often.

13. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Less Beach Ball for me since Mavericks. I used to see it often on Facebook while running some FB/Safari extensions. Less so now.

14. beachrat macrumors newbie

FYI for anyone having similar problems -- some have said uninstalling Glims extension will fix Safari. I'm at work now and can't test, but in case someone is searching in vain thought I would provide the same tip I found elsewhere this AM.

We'll see! :rolleyes:

15. uncle808us macrumors newbie

uncle808us

I get this in a lot of software apps. on my Mac Book Pro's with the new Mavericks.10.9
    Just a glimpse every now and then when working in an app.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I clean installed mavericks on my mid 2013 13" MBA and I'm still getting random beachballs.

17. w00d macrumors member

Yes, and it's super annoying. I see beach ball every day since "upgrade". Most noticeable for me is command-tab into Chrome is sometimes super slow, it takes 2-3 seconds for the browser window to come to the surface.

This is on my 2013 MBA i7. Only thing I like so far about Mav are the tabs in Finder.

18. bit density macrumors 6502

Me too...

My guess is that it is the memory compression "feature".

19. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Sounds like it might a chrome issue

Try turn turning "Pepper Flash" off

20. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    do it one more time, I had to - flawless performance now ;)

21. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Post Mavericks the machine was running snappy, after updating iPhoto, I notice this lag and yes Beach Ball appear more often for a few sec then they go away, I'm trying to figure out why the lag/keyboard lag I have 3 tabs open on average and that's about it
    128 SSD, 8RAM late 2012 Model, 65 GB Free I usually load stuff on external HD, Should I wipe everything off and do a clean install of Mav?

22. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

I was getting beachballs constantly and now they're resolved actually! Even my iTunes was cutting out frequently, I couldn't listen to a song without skipping in ML.

23. ASKendrew macrumors 6502

ASKendrew

I'm having this problem too on my late 2013 13' rMBP. The system doesn't hiccup but I see it a lot across the OS, from just browsing in Safari to hovering over the minimise and maximise buttons.

24. iterva macrumors regular

Same here.

25. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

My 2012 MBA is crashing daily since Mavericks install. Beach ball every time I try to wake from sleep. Not good.