Beach ball frequency on Mavericks

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm using the new Macbook Air- Haswell i5/8/256 It was lightning fast on Mountain Lion. I only saw the infamous apple beach ball once from July up to this month... and that too an app was not responding and that's why.

But since I upgraded to Mavericks, I have been seeing it on a daily basis. Even when just browsing on safari.

Not that it's that big of a deal, but it just seems like there are more 'pauses' when using the Air.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Lbrtn

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
i wiped out my disk and made a clean installation of Mavericks on my mid-2011 Macbook Air yesterday and i'm experiencing the same issue. unlike with Os X Mountain Lion i see beachballs pretty frequently with Mavericks and on very simple tasks like opening Skype or opening of some small text document... i doesn't mean that the system freezes completely though, just the beachballs appear way too often and that made me suspicious.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
been noticing it as well. Upgraded on a mid-2011 11" from ML. I see at least a few during the course of the day and they last about a few seconds at most.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
been noticing it as well. Upgraded on a mid-2011 11" from ML. I see at least a few during the course of the day and they last about a few seconds at most.
Hmmm, I upgraded the same machine from ML to Mavericks and haven't seen a beach ball yet.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Agreed, it appears for just maybe 2-3 sec and then goes away, but it does certainly and is frequent. I still feel ML was well 'snappier' for lack of a better word or maybe more fluid.

robdrj45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
USA
Same here - I see it briefly a few times a day. Doesn't seem to impact performance, though. That said, I rarely saw it before upgrading.

beachrat

macrumors newbie
The so-called upgrade has completely killed Safari for me -- nothing but the beachball. Can't get in, won't load anything, nothing but a spinning circle of colorful fail. (Here thanks to Firefox!)

OS X 10.7.5 on a MacBook Pro circa 2011, 2.7 GHz intel core i7, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, couple hundred gigs of space on a 500 GB hard drive. Not sure what else to mention that could be helpful.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Agreed, it appears for just maybe 2-3 sec and then goes away, but it does certainly and is frequent. I still feel ML was well 'snappier' for lack of a better word or maybe more fluid.
That's so strange. It's reversed for me. I used to get is so often for a few seconds when doing things like opening Skype or MS Word, but now it seems to happen way less often.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I have the same issues. I'll see the beach ball when I should never see it, like opening a new tab, or Pages or Skype.

It's just a few seconds, but its so often.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Less Beach Ball for me since Mavericks. I used to see it often on Facebook while running some FB/Safari extensions. Less so now.

beachrat

macrumors newbie
The so-called upgrade has completely killed Safari for me -- nothing but the beachball. Can't get in, won't load anything, nothing but a spinning circle of colorful fail. (Here thanks to Firefox!)

OS X 10.7.5 on a MacBook Pro circa 2011, 2.7 GHz intel core i7, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, couple hundred gigs of space on a 500 GB hard drive. Not sure what else to mention that could be helpful.
FYI for anyone having similar problems -- some have said uninstalling Glims extension will fix Safari. I'm at work now and can't test, but in case someone is searching in vain thought I would provide the same tip I found elsewhere this AM.

We'll see! :rolleyes:

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
I clean installed mavericks on my mid 2013 13" MBA and I'm still getting random beachballs.

w00d

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Yes, and it's super annoying. I see beach ball every day since "upgrade". Most noticeable for me is command-tab into Chrome is sometimes super slow, it takes 2-3 seconds for the browser window to come to the surface.

This is on my 2013 MBA i7. Only thing I like so far about Mav are the tabs in Finder.

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Sounds like it might a chrome issue

Yes, and it's super annoying. I see beach ball every day since "upgrade". Most noticeable for me is command-tab into Chrome is sometimes super slow, it takes 2-3 seconds for the browser window to come to the surface.

This is on my 2013 MBA i7. Only thing I like so far about Mav are the tabs in Finder.

Try turn turning "Pepper Flash" off

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Post Mavericks the machine was running snappy, after updating iPhoto, I notice this lag and yes Beach Ball appear more often for a few sec then they go away, I'm trying to figure out why the lag/keyboard lag I have 3 tabs open on average and that's about it
128 SSD, 8RAM late 2012 Model, 65 GB Free I usually load stuff on external HD, Should I wipe everything off and do a clean install of Mav?

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I was getting beachballs constantly and now they're resolved actually! Even my iTunes was cutting out frequently, I couldn't listen to a song without skipping in ML.

ASKendrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm having this problem too on my late 2013 13' rMBP. The system doesn't hiccup but I see it a lot across the OS, from just browsing in Safari to hovering over the minimise and maximise buttons.