Beach ball, hard power off, grey screen of death :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexwithad, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Title basically says it all, but here's more detail. I was browsing the Internet on my MacBook pro 13 inch alumn 2.25 4 gig upgraded ram from crucial. And all the sudden i get the beach ball so I go to iTunes same thing I try and command quit them both doesn't work iCal works and so does aim. But after a few minutes safari and iTunes still beach ballin' so I power it off by holding in button. I go to turn it back onit powers up makes the usual chime and is on the grey screen with apple logo then I get the spinning gears or whatever. Ive searched google and all the stuff I found is outdated by years but I still followed what they suggested like holding in shift for safe mode did nothing. I also tried booting from the disc didn't work. I then tried resetig pram and it did nothing either. I also used the second cd to do the hardware test both ( short and quick) and no problems arose. I think that's all I did I can't remember it's late. Tomorrow I'm gonna call apple care and deal with it. Just thought I'd post to see if anyone else expierenced it and how they worked out. Most things i've read are HD failures :(. Sorry for my spelling and such as I'm on my iPhoneright now. Thanks!

2. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

3. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah one of the things I forgot to type, I'm going to try that tomorrow morning or afternoon seeing how late it is. I'm not sure if that's the problem though becaus i've been using the new ram for quite some time, actually since I got the laptop almost a month ago. I used the 2 gig for maybe a total of 2 hours.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

i had 4gb for 5 month and then one started to get "crazy" ..
    (mbp 17" 2.4ghz)

i got replacement ..

therfore you get lifetime warranty on good ram.

5. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm confused as to what you are saying...but I replaced the ram and still the same problem. I'm going to call applecare right now hopefully I do not have to take it in seeing as I just drove an hour to the apple store sunday to replace my iPhone 3gs because it was malfunctioning :(

6. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

i'm sorry for you,

you could try reupdate 10.5.7 combo or run diskwarrior 4.1.1 from extern hdd.

7. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

Took it in today, they wanted to replace the harddrive and me drive home and then drive back a few days later once they replaced it. So I got them to replace it with a brand new one from the shelves it doesn't make sense for my harddrive to crash 1 month after I bought it...

8. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I had pretty much the same problem with my iMac. Apple had problems getting it to boot from external sources as well. They ended up replacing the hard drive.

9. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

How old was your iMac? They couldn't get it to boot from the disc or the external HDs they had. I couldn't make sense of them replacing the hard drive on a brand new laptop so I had them replace it.

10. Yell0w macrumors regular

not to thread-hijack, but my macbook pro (early 2008) has the same issue. it starts up so slow, and have times where it beachballs like crazy. i have 4GB ram installed. do i need to defrag the hard-drive?