Beach ball of death when there

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DryEyez, Sep 21, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Beach ball of death when there is anything in trash. This has happened three times and it becomes completely unresponsive to anything. The only way to fix this is to go to safe mode. When I go to safe mode it loads up fine, I go in, empty the trash (usually just one file in there, it hasn't got loads and loads of junk in or anything), turn off the wi-fi, when I reboot it fixes it.

This is the only way to fix it. Not sure if it is me turning off the wi-fi or emptying the trash, as I did this all three times, but I imagine it's the latter...Any ideas as it is quite annoying. And the first time took me ages to figure out.

Not sure why one item of trash destroys the computer or whether it is the wi-fi? (Can't imagine it's the wi-fi though, trash would make more sense)

Help is most appreciated!

2. matt94gt macrumors member

how old is your computer? have you tried any mac clean up programs such as MainMenu? Might be best to re-install the OS and maybe you could upgrade at the same time.

3. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac is 1 year old. it's a 2010 15" i5 2.3ghz mbp. And I only installed Lion a few days ago. It was a completely clean install, erased all data on the mac, and overwrote the data then installed Lion which I burned onto a disc.

Edit - Just to add I've looked all over the internet and not seen anyone else with this particular issue that is resolved by emptying trash in safe mode. Is part of the hdd corrupt, is it about to die? Can't think of any other reasons. Help is appreciated as can't figure this one out.

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

In a case like this I would tend to think hard drive as well. If you are into troubleshooting some more, you could boot from a flash drive or hard drive with Lion installed on it. If you have a spare external, boot your Mac up to Lion Disc, format your flash drive or external to HFS+ using disc utility, and then choose to install Lion to the external.

Then intentionally boot to the external drive and try whatever behaviors were causing problems. Most of the time a technician will just boot to a different HD like this, except to be most thorough they will actually connect the hard drive in place of the existing to avoid unwanted variables.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Run the utilities and whatnot to verify the status of the HD; if it is the HD (which sounds like the culprit) then you might see something pop up.

Either way, if you did a clean installa and you're experiencing problems, chances are, something internal isn't working correctly.

Make sure you're backing up your machine with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or something, if you aren't already.

6. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran a utility to check the hdd status and it came up with nothing out of the ordinary and said it's in fine condition. I'm wondering if this is to do with lion at all? Anyone else experienced this problem at all....

7. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Still continuing to experience complete freezing and locking up of the system, even under non-demanding tasks. e.g. booting up...

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight