"Beach Ball" on Taskbar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rhysticlight, Jul 24, 2011.

1. rhysticlight macrumors newbie

I upgraded to Lion yesterday, on a late 2007 macbook with 4 GB of RAM. Overall the machine seems to be running at much higher CPU usage than with SL and with more noise from the fans than before.

One thing I have noticed is that whenever I mouse over the top right section of my taskbar (i.e. wihere the wifi, and volume is) I constantly get a spinning beach ball. This is really annoying as I can't access my wifi or sound options.

This only occurs when I mouse over icons associated with the OS (e.g. wifi or volume or symbol viewer) but not with 3rd party apps like evernote, dropbox or papers.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips?

2. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Spotlight is probably indexing your drives. Give it some time and the system should settle down.

3. rhysticlight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, didn't realize it had to re-index after the upgrade. That would definitely explain it.

4. rhysticlight, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

rhysticlight thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, so this doesn't appear to be a spotlight indexing issue. It went away for a while all morning and has now started again for an hour or so. Apple elements of the taskbar are completely frozen, including the clock (so annoying!).

Update: For anyone else experiencing this problem. I went into my Activity Monitor and noticed a process called " SystemUIServer" was taking up 83 % of my CPU constantly. I killed the process and my taskbar reset and appears to be working o.k. now.

I don't know if this is a permanent fix at all, but at least it saves you from having to restart the computer.

5. macnvrbck macrumors regular

Macbook Air running hot since upgrading to Lion beach balls

Same here. I have a the previous 2.13Ghz 4GB 256 Macbook Air that has been running hot since upgrading to Lion. Toolbar freezes on occasion and the area above the F4 button is very hot. Hot like in I'm doing handbrake encoding not just having a single safari window open.

Brian