beach ball when quitting safari?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsprimal, Jun 8, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

quick question. i have google chrome open with 2 tabs, facebook + macrumors. i opened safari to surf another site, non flash based. no other apps open besides safari + chrome. so when i went to command + Q (quit) safari, the safari name on the top left corner of the screen hi-lights blue, then stays lit up for a couple seconds, then the beach ball icon comes up, spins a little bit then it finally quits.

is this normal sometimes? i usually never had this issue when quitting apps using command + Q, ir usually just closes instantly.

thanks all!

2. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

My MBP sometimes does this too, and i don't like it.
    I really don't think it's normal, but since i have the problem too i obviously can't be sure.

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

My brand new MBP beachballs on all kinds of tasks from time to time. Seems normal to me for a computer. I think people sometimes give osx too much credit when it comes to things like speed. A mac is still a computer afterall, so it still has to deal with limited resources which will cause deadlock from time to time.

4. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

You have a good point, but i'm still not sure getting beachballs often is quite normal. Lots of people in here, and on other forums, claim that they never, or only at very heavy tasks and opening of very heavy apps, get the beachball.

Could we perhaps get some other People's experiences, please?

5. ryanfacer macrumors newbie

I get this all the time on many different tasks, my old White MacBook never seemed to get it.

6. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Yeah, thats the wierd thing. I've heard multiple people saying that their older Macs didn't do it. I don't get this.

The beachball is a sign of the Windowserver (think it's called that) having to wait, since there's not enough resources at that moment.

So, why do it appear more often on a newer and better specced machine?

7. mudwoman22 macrumors member

Yea..this doesn't happen to me...

but I do get the "beachball" (ha...I always called it a rainbow wheel, I had no idea what you were talking about at first)...on itunes a lot (but it never happens anywhere else)...I have a new mbp..I have no idea why this happens so much either :/
    sorry,
    and good luck :)

8. rasmusDoh, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Thanks for your response. I just wanna hear - even though you say you never get it anywhere except iTunes - do you get it when opening certain apps (for the first time after a restart, so the apps isn't cached in the RAM)?

9. mudwoman22 macrumors member

Sorry for the late response....no...just itunes :/ and then occasionally I get it when I run too many apps at once...Word definitely has some freak outs, but I think that's due mostly to the program, not the mac

10. McMoronic macrumors member

Possible solution

Empty out your caches and use onyx to clean up your system.

11. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

When having done that, do you never get beachballs?

12. rasmusDoh, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

rasmusDoh macrumors regular

What computer do you have?

Now, i know i've kinda already asked you this with the previous question. However, if you have Garageband (from the preinstalled iLife package), can you please try opening that app and tell me how long it takes and whether or not you get a beachball from launching it.

It's just as a little test, since that's one app that always give me a beachball on startup, and i'd like to know if that's normal.

13. mudwoman22 macrumors member

I have the new 15 inch mbp i5 core....I do get the rainbow wheel when opening garage band, but only for a brief couple of seconds...it loads really fast

14. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

ive never opened garage band, and i just tried opening it and i too get the rainbow wheel for a few seconds. i believe in this case, it's absolutely normal being that it needs to load up a lot of stuff (capt'n obvious ;)) but yeah, i dont think thats something to worry about.

15. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes it beachballs for a few secs. From I click icon until it's ready for use takes roughly 20 sec. (which beachball for a few secs just after it starts loading)