Beach Ball! Windows slowing me down?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mac.wubaby, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mac.wubaby macrumors newbie

Hey newbie here so go easy but have a question:

I started off with Parallels 4 and installed the 64-bit Win7 but then decided to switch back and do 32-bit instead through Windows OS because I noticed it was running a little slow. There's no difference though but now I can't go back to 64-bit. Now I'm using Parallels 5 and there is no difference. I just transferred my system from Parallels 4 to 5 and not a reinstall. Furthermore, I'm trying to run TeamFortress 2 off steam in windows and the only way it can be somewhat playable is when I turn all the video settings completely down but even then water reflections completely freeze up my computer.

I've considered removing completely the Windows virtual machine and reinstalling windows 7 to go back to 64-bit mode. I'm also wondering if I'm not dedicating enough RAM to the Windows machine. I tried to play with it but when I split my 4 GB in half it slowed both OS down. Also, I am using Snow Leopard and I saw alot of people saying to do a clean install of Snow Leopard but I'm worried about doing that. I do have Time Machine backups but I'm just worried whether my Office 08 for Mac will still work since I downloaded it from my EPP rather than getting a disc and I don't know if the software will think I've done a new install on a different computer and my original serial code won't work anymore. Help please anyone?

{edit} Also just wondering if anyone knows how to make Windows recognize the mic in the computer. For some reason i think it only recognizes the speaker jack and I don't want to use my headphone mic to chat on TF2

my computer: summer 09 13" uMBP, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Don't run high end games inside a virtual machine, Its a :apple:bag of hurt:rolleyes:. If you absolutely have to run games directly on a Mac OS, try something like or based on 'Wine'.

I hear Crossover Games runs TF2 pretty well, and there's a free trial. - http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/