Beach ball with everything I do

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Jul 26, 2010.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

My MBP is 2 1/2 years old now. Seemed to be running great, but this past week, seems like with every program I load, every folder I open, each command on Excel, etc, etc, I get the beach ball for about 3 seconds before I get where I want to go.
    Thoughts why??? It does get annoying after a while.
    My wife has a PC and really gives me the business over it... not that her Vista is any better, but I keep trying to talk her into an iMac <hee hee>.

Frank

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Happens to me as well periodically (My MBP is on the 4 year mark).

I just backup my files, then wipe and format the whole drive. Gets rid of a lot of temp files and other nonsense that you could spend ages trying to poke out with a cursor. Can't beat a good clean out.

3. Mini Me macrumors member

Rather than start a new thread, I have a similar problem, my 2009 Mac Mini is fine opening folders etc, the one problem I do have is with the BBC website, it really badly beach balls (for about eight seconds) whenever I visit a page that has one of their small video clips on. It just seems to get stuck buffering, especially now as some pages have two or three clips on.

I'm in the UK and everything else works fine on the machine and on the web, not sure what's causing it, would do a fresh install today if I could be sure it would cure the problem .. so any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

PS I'm using latest version of Safari, tried Firefox and had the same trouble.