Beach balling

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Katnic81, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Katnic81 macrumors newbie

Our 6 month old iMac will beach ball for 3-4 min with any applacation we run. Sometimes it will just end the app and turn off other times it will keep beach balling. It will freeze while listening to or watching movies on front row. When we restart it it sometimes will have a folder with a question mark pop up instead of the apple. It has come on on it's own after being turned off and has been running slower. We have tried doing a clean install and it still hasn't shown any improvement we also did the latest update on os. I have read a lot of scary things about the new updates. Can anybody help us?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Take it to an Apple store and show them. It sounds like a hardware malfunction.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Run a diagnostic on the Hard Drive. Sounds like it is the issue. Hear any clicking at all?

4. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Check the Console - there may be messages in there that will be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

5. Katnic81 thread starter macrumors newbie

we ran the repair disk twice before we tried the clean install...no clicking. I have tried writing tech support. I really don't want to pay someone a hundred dollars an hour to look at my mac. It's still so new and i am just frustrated that i paid so much for a computer that is running slower than a PC right now. I really love this machine and I am loyal to mac. my emac is still doing fine never had a problem with it, but this is really annoying!

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If it's only 6 months old, it will still be under the 1 year warranty. Just take it to an Apple store and they'll find out what's wrong with it.

7. Passive101 macrumors regular

You have tried a fresh install of the OS right?