Beach Balls Aren't Fun

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m3kilpat, Aug 29, 2009.

1. m3kilpat macrumors regular

I recently got a new unibody 15" MBP. I've noticed beach balling going on at times when it shouldn't seem to happen. For instance, yesterday I got it when I opened Mail right after I restarted. At the time of beach balling I had 3GB of ram free (out of 4GB) and the processor was at 1% usage.

At another time I was playing Warcraft 3 and was lagging bad (due to only having integrated graphics and no discrete), but that was expected. After the game ended I tried to quit via command+Q and the screen was frozen for over 2 minutes and I wasn't able to do anything else. I had to restart using the power button.

I've also noticed very slow flash performance using firefox. For instance I was playing a game called hedgehog launch 2 from armorgames.com but in firefox it crawls so slow that I cannot play it and must use safari. Safari is a little slow but not nearly as bad as FF. I really don't know why because flash games were fine on my last Toshiba PC (using FF) that had way worse specs than this mac, including slower integrated graphics.

Has anyone else experienced problems like me or have a solution? I just don't understand why I'm getting beach ball issues when I have plenty of free ram and low cpu usage and plenty of hard drive space left to cover swapping.

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Check your console for issues