Beachball (constantly)

David R

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
I never installed a beta or anything, I just upgraded to Leopard using my own purchased copy today.

I seem to get the beachball at random intervals and it freezes my system. It doesn't happen as often as it did when I first upgraded, but it still happens every minute or two.

I opened the terminal, typed "top" to look at the top processes. I see that my system does the beachball thing with something called "update_dyl" appears (at the very top) and is then about to disappear.

A google search didn't bring up anything at all.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

David R

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
Just put the disc in, had it reboot, and went through the prompts. I didn't change any installation options or anything. I just let it do whatever it wanted.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i had to install it 3 times before it worked properly. my suggestion don't transfer your info over if you can. just do a fresh install. there are a lot of apps that don't work in leopard and maybe one of them that was on your tiger machine is causing this. when this happened to me i thought it was the ram on my computer, and mine is litterallly brand new, i just got it. i thought it was stupid to ship a computer with an amount of ram that made it unuseble. It works very smooth now, i think it is something that was on your machine from before that wasn't compatible.

David R

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the suggestion. However, the problem seems to have gone away by itself. How weird.

My system was doing that for the 4 hours or so it has been running Leopard. Maybe it's some after-update process that takes a while to run or something.

If it happens again, I'll try reinstalling like you suggested.

UPDATE: I guess I lied. I'll prob try reinstalling tomorrow to see if that goes away. Too lazy to go through the update again now.

David R

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
Another update - I got frustrated with the system freezes once a minute so this time I ran an Archive and Install (preserving users) and the problem seems to have been fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
It is also important to note that once you install Leopard, for the first 20 minutes or so performance will be a touch on the sluggish side(depending on your hardware) as spotlight re-indexes everything. Afterwards it should be up and running at full speed.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I'm also getting the beach ball more often, anyone having problems with quicktime movie not playing of freezing? I will try to do a fresh install after I back hard drive.

cuanurse

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Virginia
Thanks for the suggestion. However, the problem seems to have gone away by itself. How weird.

My system was doing that for the 4 hours or so it has been running Leopard. Maybe it's some after-update process that takes a while to run or something.

If it happens again, I'll try reinstalling like you suggested.

UPDATE: I guess I lied. I'll prob try reinstalling tomorrow to see if that goes away. Too lazy to go through the update again now.

Weird for me as well. Even after the spotlight had indexed my computer was running extremely slow for a few hours and not it seems back on track. I didn't nothing different! Very odd.. but hope others finding Leopard sluggish have the same luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.