Beachball for approx 10 sec when opening app first time...

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Since using lion whenever i open an app for the first time - most of them - i get the beachball for 10 seconds'ish then i can start using app. The system remains useable so only the app is affected for that time.

It just happened using Quicktime so its native as well as 3rd party apps.

I found this thread about deleting ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity/ but it didnt work for me
http://www.macworld.com/article/163227/2011/10/fix_a_lion_file_opening_hang_in_mac_os_x_10_7_2.html

Anyone experienced this problem and know a fix?

Thanks.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Since using lion whenever i open an app for the first time - most of them - i get the beachball for 10 seconds'ish then i can start using app. The system remains useable so only the app is affected for that time.

It just happened using Quicktime so its native as well as 3rd party apps.

I found this thread about deleting ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity/ but it didnt work for me
http://www.macworld.com/article/163227/2011/10/fix_a_lion_file_opening_hang_in_mac_os_x_10_7_2.html

Anyone experienced this problem and know a fix?

Thanks.
How much memory is on your system? What kind of system exactly are you running?

Lion supposedly runs in 2 gb of RAM but a lot of people think that 4 gb is a better ( more realistic ) system base to run it.

Shot in the dark guess is that maybe your system is swapping out memory to fit in your new app.

What does activity monitor show you on the system memory tab?

xgman

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2007
First off, go into startup items in finder and login items in preferences and turn every startup thing off, reboot and see what happens. It may be some background app. Then if not fixed, check in finder in launch daemons and launch agents. From there I would run certain disk repair commands (google mac disk repair for suggestions), permissions fix etc.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
I have the latest MacBook Air 13 Ultimate i7 4Gb 256 HD etc.

So it very unlikely to be a ram problem. The MBA FLIES on everything except the first time opening most apps - i havent logged which ones but def both apple and 3rd party.

I hardly ever see the beachball, esp for any longer than 1 sec, except in the scenario outlined.

Its def a permissions or something problem.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
lol how was I able to guess that the OS would be Lion, just from reading the heading of the thread!??!

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Finder>Applications>Utilitys>Disk Utility
Then repair the permissions (click main HDD or SDD then repair permissons)
Or click verify disk ;)

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Finder>Applications>Utilitys>Disk Utility
Then repair the permissions (click main HDD or SDD then repair permissons)
Or click verify disk ;)
Thanks but this was the first thing i did - doesnt work.

I found this but i havent tried it yet i dont know 'fully' how icloud works on the mac.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3428558?start=0&tstart=0
"I will get the spinning beachball for 5-10 seconds and cannot interact with the program in any way."

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I have the same exact issue with Pages and Preview. Interesting to think that it's iCloud because that makes sense.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011

blueteq

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Lion Beach ball when opening apps

I had the same issue and it only seemed to affect "Lion Ready" Applications.
As soon as I signed out of iCloud the symptoms disappeared...

Not the solution I was hoping...

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
I finally got around to turning docs & data off in icloud settings.

So far, ive not noticed any delay & spinning of previous icloud ready apps.

I only have one mac so icloud aint that important it seems, and i use dropbox & backup every few days to external.

Anyway, nice to know its not some weird untraceable lion bug - that would bug me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.