Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I just noticed today in the tool bar where I have some bookmarked items a weird issue that I never saw/had before. When I right click on one of the items to remove it I get the beach ball and I have to force quit Safari from the dock. I tried it several times and even rebooted the computer. Everything else seems to be working okay and never had this happen before. Also I noticed when I tried to save another bookmark to the bar I also get the beach ball. I am able to right click a bookmark to open in a new tab and that works just fine. It seems the problem is just trying to remove or add a link to the bar is when I get the beach ball. It's a late 2012 iMac which has been running perfectly.
Any ideas why this is happening? thanks for a reply

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just as a routine maintenance measure, I'd suggest:
- booting from the recovery partition
- launching Disk Utility, and have it "repair" your regular partition
- do you get "a good report" ...?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I just noticed today in the tool bar where I have some bookmarked items a weird issue that I never saw/had before. When I right click on one of the items to remove it I get the beach ball and I have to force quit Safari from the dock. I tried it several times and even rebooted the computer. Everything else seems to be working okay and never had this happen before. Also I noticed when I tried to save another bookmark to the bar I also get the beach ball. I am able to right click a bookmark to open in a new tab and that works just fine. It seems the problem is just trying to remove or add a link to the bar is when I get the beach ball. It's a late 2012 iMac which has been running perfectly.
Any ideas why this is happening? thanks for a reply

Check HDD SMART. If that's clean, run volume verification in Disk Utility. Also check for operating system updates through the App Store, and ensure that when you shut down/restart your Mac, the option 'reopen windows when logging back in' is disabled (unticked).

If all comes back OK, and the issue is persisting after OS updates/restart, I suspect it might be the RAM. Quote this anyway and we'll go from there :)

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Check HDD SMART. If that's clean, run volume verification in Disk Utility. Also check for operating system updates through the App Store, and ensure that when you shut down/restart your Mac, the option 'reopen windows when logging back in' is disabled (unticked).

If all comes back OK, and the issue is persisting after OS updates/restart, I suspect it might be the RAM. Quote this anyway and we'll go from there :)
[doublepost=1464801058][/doublepost]Thanks to both of you, everything checked out okay but nothing worked

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Cleared website data (aka cache, cookies)? I had that happen years ago when history got large. Once trimmed down and the save setting set to 30 days, Safari has been working smoothly.

Only other time I had an issue with Safari was when one of my extensions, an ad-blocker (can't remember which one), dragged Safari down. Switched to a different one (AdGuard) and things were back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.