Beachball...WHY!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evanrousso, May 18, 2007.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

I have a macbook and an imac both running the newest OSX update. Both machines are running a 2.0ghz core 2 duo processor and 1gb of memory. I am constantly getting the beachball when working with applications. People have told me that I need to up my memory to 2gb but I really think that OSX should run fine with 1gb of memory. I have run Onyx to delete all the clutter from both machines but I am still getting the beachball.

Any suggestions?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Use Activity Monitor to see how many things are running and how much CPU each one is taking. If there are no surprises, what (and how many) things are you doing when you get the beachballing?

3. tvguru macrumors 6502

If you open Activity Monitor and check out your memory, look under page outs. If there are a lot of page outs then it is a lack of RAM issue if I remember right.

4. cube macrumors G5

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Uhh....?

6. cube macrumors G5

You can see it well on NeXT.

7. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

It usually happens in Firefox or iTunes.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Are Firefox and/or iTunes the only things you have open at the time? Also keep in mind that widgets can take up memory even when you aren't accessing dashboard.

Also, do you have ample space left on your hard disk for the virtual memory files?

9. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Don't get distracted, follow emptyCup's advise. If your going to get to the bottom of this you need to start at the begining.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

True. (see my 'tar....)
    Also on earlier builds of 10.

But nowadays people speak of the "dreaded spinning beachball".

But, that's a bit off topic ;)

The OP is right that 1 GB of RAM is sufficient for normal every day home use, and shouldn't give these spinning beachballs (or CD's).

Good idea to check out Activity Monitor to see if the app is demanding alot of CPU time. If you are comfortable in the Terminal, then using "top" will also give you vaulable data, i.e. RAM consumption (check out the page-outs!), and CPU time per app.

11. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been using activity monitor for the past few days trying to see what it is that is stealing my memory, and it seems that my browser on my imac, Flock, uses a lot compared to the other apps (I use firefox on my laptop).

Does anybody here use flock?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How often do you restart your Mac?

Forget the article. Most of those suggestions for speeding up OSX are just plain silly. (Empty the Trash? Who is he kidding?)

13. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I've heard Dashboard is quite a resource hog. If you don't use Dashboard, in Activity monitor quit the widget processes. This should help, though you really shouldn't need to go through this trouble.

14. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

if you're only running firefox and itunes and not much else, it's not a ram issue. If you want number 1 answer, back up your files and reformat your computer and install only os x and the programs you want. leave out all the trail crap, the printer drivers, the fonts, and the translations, they just take up space...this not only will open up HD space, it'll fix your beachball problem because there's something off in OSX. If you don't want to do that, load from the boot disk and run a permission repair and a disk repair, basic but it works sometimes.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Whatever you do, don't reformat, and especially not as first resort. The chances of this being the best solution to your problem, assuming you even have one, is close to nil.

First things first. How often do you restart the Mac?

16. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So, how long after the restart does it take for you to begin seeing the beachball again?