Beachballing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamied95, May 30, 2011.

1. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I'm not kidding, everyday, my MBP 13" beachballs when just doing the simplest of tasks, I had 3 safari windows open (Amazon, Twitter and Facebook) and it just suddenly stopped, and had to shut it down to make it responsive again...

Is there any way to reduce this? Or just any advice?

2. chimera56 macrumors newbie

My iMac did this and the problem was a HDD failure. Run disk utility and select the disk (not the partition) if it's highlighted red and the SMART status say failing then it's time for a replacement drive.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea with problems like these it seems to be the HD. If you can, try backing up your important data that you can't simply get back. If you're only doing files or whatever, I'd download dropbox and put my documents in that. Quick, fast, and easy way of getting everything squared away.

Of course a standard external hard drive would be great. Take it to an Apple store if you have insurance and if not, you could just install your own drive.

4. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

I used to have an external hard drive, but time machine seemed to completely kill it, having to format it after every couple of back ups.... currently back at Seagate so lets just hope my laptop doesn't fail between now and it returning!