Beachballs, beachballs, beachballs.... Thanks Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ScottFitz, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

"nuff said. Latest rev MBP 15. Upgrade to Lion, beachballs beachballs and more beachballs. Thanks Apple. In your haste to rush the OS to market and cash in, you obviously forgot to test this out fully. I guess we are your beta testers. Sucks to be us.

2. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I initially disagreed until I opened System Preferences, and saw the Desktop & Screensaver pane icon.

3. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

Beach balls everywhere, especially Safari it's driving me insane.

Poor to release it in this buggy state. They should of taken another 4 -5 months and released a very stable os.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Nonsense. Some people's systems are going to have issues with every new OS. Get on the phone with Apple or better yet, take it into the Apple store and get it fixed.

5. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Perfect logic. :rolleyes:

6. Nixir macrumors newbie

so glad I got my mbp 15 right before the lion downgrade :D I get to upgrade to the (eventually) fixed lion for free too haha.

Thanks for beta testing:p

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a Mac Pro, Mac Mini and MacBook Air and all 3 of them have worked perfectly with Lion...no problems whatsoever. So it's not apples fault that you probably installed some 3rd party applications that screwed up your system.

8. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

It's Safari's fault. I can't wait for Chrome to get the Lion compatibility upgrade

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Again, safari works pretty amazingly well....what do you find wrong with it?

10. lukekarts macrumors regular

Chrome seems pretty good, better than Safari, in Lion. What compatibility are you looking for?

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I'm not really seeing any.

Early 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 15-inch
    6 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
    Powering numerous devices including printer, 3-4 external hard drives, speaker system, 24-inch display

Clean install of Lion (not an upgrade.)

12. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

whoa I didn't know I can have 6GB of ram in my early 2008 MBP. I thought 4GB was the limit.

I was going to buy 4GB because it's just $47 at crucial but I don't see 6GB for the early 2008 on there.

I only have 2GB on here and most of the time I get beachballs and stuff because in Lion it constantly uses 1.99 GB and leaves me with ~10MB free memory. I used to get a lot more free memory in SL.

13. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

The MBP is less than 3 months old. Working perfectly fine before I "downgraded" to Lion. I'm a huge apple fanboy to be honest. This one has left me wondering. And, the nearest apple store is 200 mi away.

It's reality. It's them, not this computer. Wait... do I know this? Because like the fanboy I am, I upgraded my 18 mo old iMac as well. It's slightly worse on the iMac.

Keep the blinders on.

14. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Open the console app and check if there are any crashes reported which might give an indication of what could be wrong.

Sorry you are having issues.

I have upgraded a 2009 17" MacBook Pro and a 2011 27" iMac from Snow Leopard to Lion. Both computers are working great with Lion. No slow down in performance on either computer. The WiFi speed has even improved on my iMac (108MB/s for Snow Leopard vs 162 Mb/s for Lion). Plan on upgrading my Mac-Mini this weekend.

15. tom5304 macrumors regular

It was the spinning beachballs and the overall lagginess of Lion that sent me running back to Snow Leopard.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm glad you agree.

It's pretty interesting going through this same scenario with every OS release. When you've been around as long as I have in the computing world you see the same thing every time. A small percentage of people will scream that the OS is a piece of junk or "not ready for prime time" and blah, blah, blah. At the same time the vast majority are having little to no issues. When they post or mention that they are having no problems, they are castigated for having "their heads in the sand" and being "fanboys" (man I hate that term).

If you are having issues with Lion, and I'm not suggesting that some aren't, let Apple help you figure it out. It's good for all of us. I'm having a few issues myself that I'm confident that Apple will iron out. Overall I think this is a great release.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Then you're running something that isn't Lion compatible. I have 5 Macs (2010 iMac i7, 2011 MacBook Air, 2009 13" MacBook Pro, 2008 MacBook, 2007 MacBook) all running better than ever with Lion. No beachballs at all.

I don't think the new OS is to blame at all. People said the same about 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. If you're running extensions or apps that aren't compatible, you'll have problems. If Spotlight hasn't finished re-indexing, let it complete. If you have a corrupt font, seek it out.

18. superericla macrumors 6502

The only time I've seen a beach ball running Lion is when joining a server on Team Fortress 2 which I got in Snow Leopard as well. Everything is running faster for me and I'm running a 2011 15" MacBook Pro.