Beamsync pitfall

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Just out of curiousity, I thought I'd try disabling Beamsync on my latest acquisition, my 1.5Ghz 12" Powerbook.
    I'd tried this before on either my Quad or Dual G5 with no noticeable difference, using the Let 1K Windows Bloom benchmark as reference.
    On my Powerbook, using the same benchmark tool, the score had gone from 11 seconds to 16 seconds once beamsync was disabled, oh well I thought, I'll re-enable it and be back to normal again.
    Not so, the benchmark was still at 16 seconds after rebooting.
    My solution was to remove the windowserver.plist file that had presumably been created by the Terminal beamsync adjustment - and now it's back to 11 seconds (the plist contained no data apart from the beamsync flag just made).

That was on Tiger, I wanted to see how this effected my 17" DLSD on Leopard. Similar story, 13 seconds without adjustment, 18 seconds with.
    I realise this is all based on one crude benchmark but I've never felt any improvement in any other respect when tinkering with the beamsync settings - maybe best left alone useless you are using a CRT?

2. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

I discovered that not too long ago.

Enabled all the hidden "accelerating" graphical settings, then after a while I thought boot was taking too long. Disabled everything, boot took much less time. And so, I think those tricks are only good for G5's... And perhaps early Intels, of course. Speaking of, does anyone know if QuartzGL or Quartz2DExtreme are enabled on Snow Leopard? Would be cool if they are.

How do you like your 12" PowerBook? Not having a brilliant time with mine, all feet (even the display's) are off, the F11 key is wedged between the "-" and "=" keys, and when it's in Leopard, it heats up too easily. All I can really do is tape replacement rubber feet to their respective positions, and I must admit the computer is cooler for it. Tiger is probably the best OS for it, especially with TFF.

I swear that's the last time I'm mentioning its flaws, even though none of them are really its fault.

3. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

I love it - I've had a few before - waited a long time to get a decent 1.5Ghz at a nice price, they've been going for £100+ recently.
    As much as I love Leopard, Tiger is the better option on some machines, this being one.

4. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

Agreed. Part of me is wondering if I should take Leopard out of mine.

I'd bet that Leopard is the better option on all G5's, while Tiger is best on most G4's.

5. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Depends on your needs I guess, my Dual 2.3 G5 doesn't go online and the apps don't require Leopard, so Tiger is on it. The GUI is super snappy.
    Leopard was post Intel - never was going to be optimal for any PowerPC but you can't get away from it's feature set and compatibility.

6. Lastic macrumors 6502a

Out of curiousity , what is Beamsync ?

7. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Without looking it up I don't know fully, I just understood it was a feature more critical to CRT displays and pointless with LCDs. Something about unecessary redrawing to the frame buffer too....I just homed in on the increased performance angle...which so far has proved non-existent.

8. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

Basically V-Sync, if you know what that is.