Beard trimmer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, May 9, 2015.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

So my 1.5-decades-old beard trimmer went to beard trimmer heaven a few weeks ago, and my beard is growing out of control. I need to buy a new one soon. Anyone here have a recommendation for a good beard trimmer? I'm not too particular -- two settings would suit me just fine -- a as-close-as-it-gets-without-actually-shaving mode and a sexy-stubble mode. :)

2. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Just get a Wahl trimmer with the haircut kit and use the guard size you want. Works great, lasts forever and sometimes on sale for 20-30 bucks.

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Get a "prosumer" grade, corded Wahl. Solidly built, no charging hassles.

A few years ago I had pretty long hair, we were OOT, I wanted a new phone (seemingly unrelated ... but hang tough ...). I went into the local Apple Store (in a mall), scored a new iPhone, and was being driven crazy by my hair, so when I was exiting the mall through a Sears (good tactical entry point to get to the Apple Store), I rode the escalator up, up, and at the top was a wall of Wahls, on a huge sale. Picked one, BUZZED off all my hair (the clipper and I did a great job) :D

Anyway, that same clipper has done hair duty, lots of beard duty for 5+ years, and shows no signs of any issues or performance degradation.

Holy smokes you posted with the same thing while I was writing my response. :D

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I use a Conair rechargeable hair trimmer to do my goatee. Last one I bought was around $30-40 and has lasted for several years now. I trim my beard once a week, so trimmer gets some use. Once you trim your beard the first time, easy to remember what attachments you used for the different lengths.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just use scissors, I guess that may be too old school but it works for me :)

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I get my hair cut and beard trimmed every two weeks so I let my barber do all the work.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I bought an Axe branded Phillips Norelco beard trimmer yesterday. Rated highly on Amazon. Charging it up right now, will let you know how it works.

8. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Wahl. Adjustable head to cut close to skin, or up to about 1/8" for that scruffy look. Also several clipper attachments to cut up to 1 1/4" for longer beard. Got mine for $5 at thrift store. Costco has them new for around $25.