Beard trimmer recommendations?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
So my 1.5-decades-old beard trimmer went to beard trimmer heaven a few weeks ago, and my beard is growing out of control. I need to buy a new one soon. Anyone here have a recommendation for a good beard trimmer? I'm not too particular -- two settings would suit me just fine -- a as-close-as-it-gets-without-actually-shaving mode and a sexy-stubble mode. :)

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Just get a Wahl trimmer with the haircut kit and use the guard size you want. Works great, lasts forever and sometimes on sale for 20-30 bucks.

Reactions: 0002378

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Get a "prosumer" grade, corded Wahl. Solidly built, no charging hassles.

A few years ago I had pretty long hair, we were OOT, I wanted a new phone (seemingly unrelated ... but hang tough ...). I went into the local Apple Store (in a mall), scored a new iPhone, and was being driven crazy by my hair, so when I was exiting the mall through a Sears (good tactical entry point to get to the Apple Store), I rode the escalator up, up, and at the top was a wall of Wahls, on a huge sale. Picked one, BUZZED off all my hair (the clipper and I did a great job) :D

Anyway, that same clipper has done hair duty, lots of beard duty for 5+ years, and shows no signs of any issues or performance degradation.

Just get a Wahl trimmer with the haircut kit and use the guard size you want. Works great, lasts forever and sometimes on sale for 20-30 bucks.
Holy smokes you posted with the same thing while I was writing my response. :D

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use a Conair rechargeable hair trimmer to do my goatee. Last one I bought was around $30-40 and has lasted for several years now. I trim my beard once a week, so trimmer gets some use. Once you trim your beard the first time, easy to remember what attachments you used for the different lengths.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Wahl. Adjustable head to cut close to skin, or up to about 1/8" for that scruffy look. Also several clipper attachments to cut up to 1 1/4" for longer beard. Got mine for $5 at thrift store. Costco has them new for around $25.

Johnsontulane

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2018
Judging by your use, I'd recommend either the Panasonic ER-GB60-S or the Remington Mb4045. They are both great and last long, as well as being washable for easy cleaning. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Judging by your use, I'd recommend either the Panasonic ER-GB60-S or the Remington Mb4045. They are both great and last long, as well as being washable for easy cleaning. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Sounds like something has probably already been figured in the past 3 years.

Reactions: millerj123

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He posted a recent photo in another thread, looks like he still hasn't figured it out ...

Well, maybe that's a good thing then, otherwise there wouldn't be that photo to post.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Since the thread is already revived. I just trim my beard when I cut my hair. So I use a Wahl clipper.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Get a "prosumer" grade, corded Wahl. Solidly built, no charging hassles.
I picked up a Whal Lithium Ion trimmer a few years ago. My charging "hassle" is that the battery lasts for so long that I cant always find the charger. But for all practical purposes, a quick 15-minute charge is sufficient to shave.