beat matching...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bluap84, Jul 26, 2011.

1. bluap84 macrumors 6502

is there any easy way to do this? I guess its easy with a song with a good beat but drum and bass where the beat is all over the place? Any ideas?

im trying to use this track

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Beat matching is a way to mix from one song to the next.

Do you mean cutting to the beat?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was software out the to help this process but I don't know any off the top of my head. I just pick the instrument out that I want to cut to and cut to it. The track you linked to seems like it would be very easy to cut to. I just skimmed though parts of it and the snare, bass drum and synth are all pretty well defined. The more you do it the easier it is to pick up the instrument you want even when you are scrubbing through the timeline.

In FCP I usually just drop the footage I want to cut onto the timeline, use control-V to make cuts on the beat, then go back and fine tune the edits. I'll usually work in chunks of a dozens cuts or so. Some people like to hit "m" to drop in markers on/near the beat but to me that seems like more steps to the process.

I haven't tried it in FCP 10 so I don't know what methods work best.

Lethal

3. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

sweet ill give that a go thanks.
    one think in FCPX is that the audio track sometimes moves with the clips / cuts

any idea how i can stop that?

4. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

Seems like a pretty easy track to beatmatch... As mentioned above, kick drum and snare are consistent. If you use after effects check out trap code sound keys for automation of triggering effects.
    (for some reason copy and paste isn't working on the iPad, google it!) :)

5. Poeben macrumors 6502

In theory you could use an audio editing program, e.g. Protools, to split the audio track into regions based on the beat using something like Beat Detective. Export the result as OMF or AAF and import into your sequence. You would end up with 'chunks' of audio that you could more easily snap your razor/markers to. However, last I read FCP X can't handle OMF/AAF files yet--and you would need appropriate audio software.

6. bluap84, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Instead of creating a new thread...the above song is going to be going with my edit.

Im going to cut to the symbols where i can...but what would be the next thing to cut to do you think? Theres some quick bass beats but these are quick and not very loud so doesnt make much of an impact with the edit. But there are a lot of these which would make cutting a dream...

after symbols what would you use?

7. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

bump to top. as i didnt wanna start a new thread

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Didn't get what you meant at first then realised you mean cymbals! I normally cut to the 'beat' so I work out if the track is 4/4 3/4 or whatever and mark out the beat on the audio track using markers and then make the edit where the markers are.

I have realised recently though that some of the best cuts are not actually to the beat and a mixture of the two can make for some really interesting visuals.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, you should really only cut to the beat as an underscore or to emphasize something. If you do it too long the edit becomes visually boring and predictable. The visual edits themselves should have a beat and rhythm all their own that, ideally, can survive w/o any audio at all. Of course some types of edits are more tied to musical ques than others, but even in that case editing in lock step w/the beat can quickly become lackluster.

Lethal

10. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ah right...so i should mix it up?

use cymbols in one section, the beat in others...interesting! ill finish it up over the weekend, as the weather is looking ******.

Should see it online Sunday evening GMT

11. De Rocca macrumors member

Did anyone mention that you can do 'cut to the beat' very easy in Imovie11 ?

12. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

i wasnt using iMovie dude...but surely if it does it all for you. Isnt that cheating? lol

i have completed my edit though, ill upload it soon! :D

13. Sesso macrumors newbie

Its not cheating. It makes creating things easier and faster. In the end it will make you more productive.