Beaten to death........

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stonecoldcrb, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Stonecoldcrb macrumors newbie

Greetings all

I'm new here and am loving all the info from the various posts. I am a PC nut and think myself rather handy with them (WinXP user).

I confess to knowing nothing about Apple's or the OS. But I am ready to take the drive to the store and purchase my first Macbook Pro. Now again I'm sure this has been beaten to death but I need some input. Money isnt a factor as I dont mind spending it to get a good machine and of course I am looking for something that is somewhat future proof, or rather that I can get some good mileage out of.

I plan to do some gaming on it (World of War) and of course the usual PDF viewing/email/internet etc. Word proc. you get the idea. What might you suggest in lines of the proc speed. Is there a big diff between the 2.2/2.4/2.6 versions. Again I have no trouble paying for a speed bump if its noticeable. Being portable is great for me so suggestions on the 15'" or 17" would be great.
    How about the 2GB ram, sufficient? again same for the HD......some suggest size over speed but again I hear that the OS is much snappier than WinXp so I am at the mercy of your thoughts here.

I know that an update is due at some point, sure I can wait, but would prefer not too if such an update isnt really going to "wow" me in terms of speed/ or graphics capability. etc.

My thanks for those of you who care to weigh in with some solid advice for me and helping me to make a wise and sound purchase.

Best regards
    Stone

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you can wait, wait, the next update promises to be big.

I don't think the 2.6 is worth it, 17" is too big IMO for portability and 2GB RAM is good, but not awesome.

Its easy to get to grips with the OS, and it usually takes less than 2 weeks for knowledgeable PC users to be more comfortable with OSX as they were with XP.

3. mr.light macrumors 6502

I plan on buying one as well. I am going to wait. But no later than September. ( Back to school deals should get me an ipod too) :)

I am curious though.... what made you decide to get a Macbook Pro this time?

I think you will enjoy it though.

Welcome.:apple:

4. ~J~ macrumors 6502

First of all, welcome!

I'm sure you will love the Mac OS, as we all have come to. I am an IT professional (of course, XP Pro & server 2k & 2k3), but LOVE my MBP at home.

Ok... I am a bit confused on what you are looking at. None of the systems now have a 2.2/2.4/2.6GHz processor range. The 15" & 17 MacBook Pros (the Mac Pro is a high-end workstation tower, MacBook (Pro) is the Apple laptop lines); is a GREAT machine. If you can wait a little bit, there is supposed to be a revision very soon (hopefully - but no one can be sure exactly when). We dont know exactly what the new specs are going to be, but it would be reasonable to expect a minor clock speed bump & upgrade to Penryn processors. Some are hoping for blu-ray (myself included) and a few other updates to the product line. As for performance, I prefer a 15" display with the highest processor I can get at the time in it. I would recommend this for you as well seeing as how you plan on gaming on it. I dont game on my Macs (XBOX360 & soon a Wii), but there are plenty here that do and can answer questions about that for you.

Hope that helps a little!

5. stomer macrumors 6502a

If you don't know much about Apple or their OS, then I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to switch?

Have you considered a MacBook? The current machines are more than capable of doing most of what you've listed. WoW performance isn't stellar, but adequate.