Beatles, AC/DC specifically disabled on Genius

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FJR, Sep 9, 2008.

1. FJR macrumors regular

So genius won't create a genius playlist for any song by The Beatles or AC/DC. Yet it will create smart playlists for plenty of songs that have never been in the iTunes store.

For instance Sad Song, by Oasis has never been available in the iTunes store, but Genius creates a prefectly good genius playlist using it. I have even created fine playlists from bootlegs that obviously aren't on iTunes.

But try to use Genius for Two of Us by The Beatles and you get an error message saying iTunes can't use genius for this song.

The only other thing I can't get genius to work for are really rare bootlegs that probably only a couple hundred people have on iTunes. But its not like millions of people don't have the beatles on their iTunes.

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Well, as the Beatles have been trying to sue Apple from day one, it doesn't surprise me that they are persona non grata.

I'm not sure why AC/DC would be excluded though.

3. graemesangels macrumors member

I noticed the same problem with AC/DC when I tried. It was the first in alphabetical order which is why I tried it. Seems odd though I rarely listen to them anymore so I don't really care.

4. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

I'm guessing its just because they are the two biggest artists that have nothing on the iTues store (since Led Zeppelin finally acquiesced). In fact, they're the only two really significant artists whatsoever that aren't on the iTunes store.

I wonder if the new kid rock CD works, since it famously isn't on iTunes.

Even old Oasis albums that are no longer on iTunes work.

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I don't have ANY Beatles in my iTunes of 3700+ songs :eek:

I do have AC/DC though

6. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

GASP!

I think everybody, at the very least, should have Beatles 1, if you have nothing else at all. If for no other reason than for cultural purposes.

7. cenetti macrumors 6502

I don't care about beatles nor Ac/DC

but it told me about new Metallica single " Judas Kiss"....:D
    so I just bought it.... good job genius

rock on...:apple:

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

LOL :D...I was just as shocked when I searched my library after I read your post. I will have to remedy this soon as they have some excellent tunage!

And for some reason the Genius doesn't comprehend Native American music either?

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I don't suppose the Genius works for my estonian punk bootlegs either.. ah well, that's life.

...No Beatles / Dylan / Waits / AC/DC / Metallica / Judas Priest / Iron Maiden / Rolling Stones stuff on my HD. Now I know why I usually avoid the music discussion. :eek:

10. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I love acdc, but I think this is because the record company that represents thaem went exclusive to another online music store.

11. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

well, yes and no. They do have an exclusive deal with verizon, but its mostly because they don't want to sell single tracks. They've said they tried ot make a deal with iTunes to only make their entire albums available. Also their albums are priced higher for the digital version (11.99) than the physical cds are. AC/DC does this because their non-singles suck and thy would lose a ton of money if people could just buy Back In Black and You Shook Me All Night Long and not the entire album. The Beatles situation is a LOT more complicated though.

But beyond all that, like I said, there are plenty of songs that aren't on iTunes that genius works for. Notably bootlegs from live recordings that aren't sold ANYWHERE, if they're from sufficiently popular artists (like moe.) can even work on genius. It also works on B-sides of singles that were never released on iTunes.

From the best I can tell Genius works as long as A) the song isn't super obscure and B) isn't by the Beatles or AC/DC.

It just seems like spite to me, as I don't think it would violate any contracts if Apple based a playlist around a song they aren't licensed to sell, as long as you already own the song.