Beatmix application for OS X (like Sound Forge)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aussie.damo, May 13, 2007.

1. aussie.damo macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm interested in creating music mixes using MP3s. Is there an application for OS X that can do this? Sorry if this is a really obvious question and double sorry if the application that does it is GarageBand or something.

TO explain a bit more clearly, I've got extended mixes of certain dance tracks. They have long intros and outros and i'd like to be able to mix them into each other (beatmix). The finished product would be one track that has no gaps, so one song rolls into the next.

I used to do this with Sound Forge in Windows Land, not sure what comparable products there are for OS X. I'd love one that's easy to use, cheap or free to buy and can work directly with MP3's (rather than, say, WAV files).

Thanks in advance.

Damo

2. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ding ding: Mac Rumors Guides: DJing on the Mac.

Lots of info there. :)

Ableton Live's Demo can play MP3s and does almost everything the full version does - you just can't save anything.

3. aussie.damo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, but I don't think they're really what i'm looking for. I don't want something that simulates decks, i'm really after something that acts like a wave editor. All the info there seems more geared towards people who want to use their Mac for live DJ ing. And Ableton looks massively complicated and super expensive too!

This is a free version that I used to use on Windows. You open up multiple MP3's, they are presented as sound waves and you can mix them.

So, anything like that (and preferably free) for the Mac. Something that's as easy to use as WavePad would be great too.

Damo

4. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Audacity is a good program that allows lots of editing, mixing of separate tracks and so on. I've used it a lot for podcasting and mixing the various supplements together on them.

Make sure you get the LAME LIB encoder if you want to export your finished products as an MP3.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    you want an App like Traktor DJ from Native Instruments for seamless time stretching ect.

Ableton Live is nice for time stretching, fading, matching loops.

But for straight up beat matching/crossfades Traktor is the goods