Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
0. When I click "New Station from Artist/Song" where can I view that artist or song in iTunes? I looked in My Music but it's not there.

1. I turned off iCloud Music in iTunes General preferences so why is iTunes forcing this on me? If I click cancel it won't "Add to My Music"? My Music only works if you allow save to iCloud Music?

2. When I click the "My Music" tab I see the music on my HD but I don't see all the stations I created.

3. iCloud Music does not mean store your music in iCloud? Does it use my free 5GB iCloud space?

I was disabling iCloud Music because I thought it would use up my 5GB. But now I see that I need to enable iCloud Music if I want to use all of these features like "New Station from Artist/Song" and "Add to My Music" right?

I want to save my radio stations to iCloud Music but I don't want to store my music in iCloud Music since it will eat up 5GB in one minute.

When I allowed iCloud Music iTunes started uploading my music library to iCloud Music I think. This is a no no.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 1.29.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 1.29.40 PM.png
    206.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
0. You have to add the music to "My Music," otherwise it is simply saved as a station.

1. iCloud is required to create a music library.

2. Stations aren't included in My Music.

3. No, it does not use your data at all.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
0. You have to add the music to "My Music," otherwise it is simply saved as a station.

1. iCloud is required to create a music library.

2. Stations aren't included in My Music.

3. No, it does not use your data at all.
Actually I do just want to save as a station but since we're on the topic, is My Music ONLY the iTunes library that sits on my HD? Because I checked My Music and I only see the music from my external HD no stations etc.

What's the difference between an iCloud Music library and a regular iTunes library? If it doesn't use my 5GB then are you saying it will upload my 20GB library to iCloud without charge? Then why use Match? Because Match isn't DRM'ed?

Getting back to Stations. I have saved many stations so far and I cannot find then anywhere. Where are they located? I've checked every tab on my desktop version of Apple Music.

Btw, if I do enable iCloud Music I noticed that everything from my HD is getting uploaded. Does this mean all the music that was sitting on my HD will be force converted to DRM like everyone is complaining about?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Actually I do just want to save as a station but since we're on the topic, is My Music ONLY the iTunes library that sits on my HD? Because I checked My Music and I only see the music from my external HD no stations etc.

What's the difference between an iCloud Music library and a regular iTunes library? If it doesn't use my 5GB then are you saying it will upload my 20GB library to iCloud without charge? Then why use Match? Because Match isn't DRM'ed?

Getting back to Stations. I have saved many stations so far and I cannot find then anywhere. Where are they located? I've checked every tab on my desktop version of Apple Music.

Btw, if I do enable iCloud Music I noticed that everything from my HD is getting uploaded. Does this mean all the music that was sitting on my HD will be force converted to DRM like everyone is complaining about?

My Music will combine the AM library with your HD library once you start adding songs. No stations will be added.

iCloud is streamed, iTunes is local. To my knowledge it will add your library to iCloud with no charge.

Match replaces lower-quality HD songs with non-DRM'd files.

I may be wrong on this but I believe Apple removed the ability to save stations.

It may include DRM in the cloud but your HD files will not have it added.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
My Music will combine the AM library with your HD library once you start adding songs. No stations will be added.

iCloud is streamed, iTunes is local. To my knowledge it will add your library to iCloud with no charge.

Match replaces lower-quality HD songs with non-DRM'd files.

I may be wrong on this but I believe Apple removed the ability to save stations.

It may include DRM in the cloud but your HD files will not have it added.
Huh? We can still create radio stations. There's the "New Station from Artist/Song" I know there are saved somewhere because I saw them on my mother's iPhone. But I cannot find them on the desktop version.

Maybe I'm mistaken? I hope someone else can confirm. If we can't save then that makes Beats 1 even more useless.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Huh? We can still create radio stations. There's the "New Station from Artist/Song" I know there are saved somewhere because I saw them on my mother's iPhone. But I cannot find them on the desktop version.

Maybe I'm mistaken? I hope someone else can confirm. If we can't save then that makes Beats 1 even more useless.
If you start a station from anywhere in the music app, they are listed under 'Recently Played' in the radio tab.

Beats 1 is a separate 24/7 streaming radio station. It's always on, with a DJ playing music.

Those stations are very similar to a Pandora style of streaming music. You can start a station from most songs that are playing on Beats 1, or from pretty much any song either in your music library or in iTunes by clicking the '...' button. As soon as you start a new station, it's put into 'Recently Played' in the radio tab. You can tap on Recently Played to see all of them in a list. I don't use the stations often, so mine looks like this:

EDIT: I just opened iTunes on my Mac, clicked Radio, and it's the same exact setup. I created a new station from a song playing on Beats 1 from my phone, and it's also there in iTunes under a Recently Played.

So hopefully that answers your question...it is still working just fine.

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
View attachment 566197 View attachment 566190 View attachment 566198
If you start a station from anywhere in the music app, they are listed under 'Recently Played' in the radio tab.

Beats 1 is a separate 24/7 streaming radio station. It's always on, with a DJ playing music.

Those stations are very similar to a Pandora style of streaming music. You can start a station from most songs that are playing on Beats 1, or from pretty much any song either in your music library or in iTunes by clicking the '...' button. As soon as you start a new station, it's put into 'Recently Played' in the radio tab. You can tap on Recently Played to see all of them in a list. I don't use the stations often, so mine looks like this:

EDIT: I just opened iTunes on my Mac, clicked Radio, and it's the same exact setup. I created a new station from a song playing on Beats 1 from my phone, and it's also there in iTunes under a Recently Played.

So hopefully that answers your question...it is still working just fine.
Thanks man.

BUT.....Big difference. This new iTunes only has "Recently Played". This is a big big fail because the previous iTR lets us create infinite stations and those stations would always be listed there with square album covers just like the regular music library. Remember? Click + sign and enter in artist or song and that station is there forever. None of this recently played only crap. How am I supposed to remember hundreds of dope stations? Get what I'm sayin'?

So I guess this is how it is for the "new improved" iTunes?

Man what a disaster.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia

Thanks man.

BUT.....Big difference. This new iTunes only has "Recently Played". This is a big big fail because the previous iTR lets us create infinite stations and those stations would always be listed there with square album covers just like the regular music library. Remember? Click + sign and enter in artist or song and that station is there forever. None of this recently played only crap. How am I supposed to remember hundreds of dope stations? Get what I'm sayin'?

So I guess this is how it is for the "new improved" iTunes?

Man what a disaster.
You can still create and play any station anytime, anywhere. I just created a station from my phone, and it popped up right away in iTunes. Then I created a station in iTunes, and when I open the Music app and tap on Radio, it's right there. There is an entire page of stations that you have made or listened to that you can scroll through. I'm not understanding the problem...? See my screenshot below - all of those stations were played from my phone. As soon as you start a station, they're added across all your devices immediately. So if you start one on your computer and then switch to an iOS device, it's always right there...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 47

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
I kind of see what you mean, as far as pressing the + button to create a new station..

When you pressed the + button to create a new station, you had to enter an artist name. I guess the process changed slightly...but you can still go to any song, artist, album etc and start a station. You can even start a station directly from the song playing on Beats 1...and just like before, a list of all of those stations, with the square cover art is listed right there in iTunes, as well as across al of your devices.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Also, just like before when you searched for an artist after pressing the + button ... If you hit the radio tab and search for an artist, at the bottom of the search results you'll see a list of the same radio stations as before...they're still there. I took a screenshot as an example. Does that help? It's the same setup in iTunes, except in iTunes next to the track name you can hit the menu button and see even more stations. Either way, it's all still there...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 46

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I find it an improvement having stations under "Recently Added" as my list was severely cluttered when it was iTunes Radio. Just gotta get used to selecting the song and starting a station.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Ah I see mconk. What they have done is put all the stations under recently played like you said even though that doesn't make good sense.

What defines recently played? 1 week? What if my station was made 3 months ago will it still show up? We have yet to find out. This will be the true test.

Last question is did the new iTunes remember your stations from a long time ago? I can't remember if you said yes or no.

This will answer my question about what Recently Played really means. Are your stations from a year ago in the Recently Played area? If so that is a bd labeling idea on Apple's part.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Ah I see mconk. What they have done is put all the stations under recently played like you said even though that doesn't make good sense.

What defines recently played? 1 week? What if my station was made 3 months ago will it still show up? We have yet to find out. This will be the true test.

Last question is did the new iTunes remember your stations from a long time ago? I can't remember if you said yes or no.

This will answer my question about what Recently Played really means. Are your stations from a year ago in the Recently Played area? If so that is a bd labeling idea on Apple's part.

Mine surprisingly has most if not all my old stations under Recently Played.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Mine surprisingly has most if not all my old stations under Recently Played.
ok so poor labeling and the cause for my confusion. Hopefully Apple fixes this.

I liked it when stations and music were separate

EDIT: Hmm I'm still not getting stations in the Radio Recently Played area. What it's showing is only Beats 1 since it's a station and I payed it. All the stuff I clicked "Add New Station from Artist/Song" isn't showing.

AND...We can't delete those Recently Played stations!! We could delete any station in iTR by right-click delete before.

Every time I click Add New Station from Artist/Song iTunes doesn't do anything and I get no UI feedback and nothing shows up in Recently Played.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
ok so poor labeling and the cause for my confusion. Hopefully Apple fixes this.

I liked it when stations and music were separate

EDIT: Hmm I'm still not getting stations in the Radio Recently Played area. What it's showing is only Beats 1 since it's a station and I payed it. All the stuff I clicked "Add New Station from Artist/Song" isn't showing.

On Mac for me at least most or probably all my past radio stations from song/artist are showing up in Recently Played.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
On Mac for me at least most or probably all my past radio stations from song/artist are showing up in Recently Played.
When you click Add New Station from Artist/Song what happens for you? What UI feedback do you get? Do you then see that new station in the Recently Played area?

I get no feedback and iTunes stops. No play nothing.

Could it be because I disabled iCloud Music? EDIT: Nope, even enabled I get nothing.

Last edited:

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia

Every single station you have ever started and played now shows up under recently played. Whether it was a mo th ago, or a year ago...they're all there.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Every single station you have ever started and played now shows up under recently played. Whether it was a mo th ago, or a year ago...they're all there.
Not for me. I'm in the For You section listing to a song and clicking New Station from Artist. All of the sudden iTunes playback stops (which it shouldn't), and when I check Recently Played in the Radio section nada. Every single time this is the result.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I use an app called Flux that changes the hue based on the sun...it's much better on the eyes at night.
Ah I remember that app. It got pulled from app store. I'm using the desktop version since yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.