Beats by Dre iBeats vs Heartbeats 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Orlandoech, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Anyone listened to them? I need some new headphones and mainly listen to R&B, RAP, and HipHop so I prefer some bass over insane treble.

Any other suggestions welcome. I've tried and HATED the following;

Klipsch S4i (way too much treble and non-existent lows)
    V-MODA ReVamps (yet again way too much treble and non-existent lows)
    Logitech UE 600vi (horrible sound for the $)

Looking to spend $130 or less.

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have the Tour Beats, they list it as their "high definition audio" it's their most expensive earphones. Though, I think the price has gone down. Though, I think the price has more to do with the flat, tangle-free cable. Make sure yours has "ControlTalk" it's the iPod/iPhone feature on the cable.

Anyway, the earphones sound great. Clarity is great. Highs and lows, great bass. If you find the correct earpiece in the at least 10 pairs they give you, and you form that isolation seal in your ear, the sound will be amazing. I've spent loads of money on others, but this one has been the best.

3. al0513 macrumors 6502

4. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Just tried both the iBeats and the BOSE IE2's,

While VERY similar sound, the IE2's are leaps and bounds more comfortable. The Dr iBeats don't stay in my ears with crap. Yes I did try all of the ear buds. For $10 less the Bose sound identical, I'll stick with the Bose. Thanks everyone.

The lows in the BOSE IE2's are amazing, I actually think they have better lows then the iBeats.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Honestly, I think you should consider. I had the original Bose and I didn't like it. It had too much bass and I usually like bose. I have several of their speakers. I actually just googled the beats you were talking about - that's their low end model and probably hardly contains earpieces. You should consider the highest end, Tour Beats. It's a great sound. It has the ControlTalk/Mic on the wire. Last I checked, Bose didn't have any control or mic on the wire.

It's actually a lot cheaper now, just $3 above your limit:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09WXVHDGPHJVGQESYSJX

6. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I dont need a mic/controls although convenient. The Tours fit seem similar to the iBeats. The iBeats had 6 different size buds, the default ones fit best but weren't comfortable at all to me. The Bose are extremely comfortable to me.

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

8. r2fa3l macrumors regular

The heartbeats are better.
    If you want the Beats Tour though, you can purchase a refurb for $89.95 on Monster's refurb website. I own them and they honestly sound amazing.

Don't even bother with Bose's IE2 line. The sound is decent, bass is good, and treble is alright, but they leak A LOT of sound.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Totally agree. He just needs to find the right earpiece. Tour has every imaginable size and shape than their lower end model. It goes DEEP into my ear canal and can actually isolate ALL SOUNDS. I can barely hear anything. I have done this on a plane also. Almost comparable with noise canceling headphones! I've never achieved this with any other earphones. I'm so happy about mine. Give it a try.

At that price, I may pick another other up as a present. Manufacturer refurbs are always good.

10. Orlandoech, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Thats a killer deal. Im just afraid they die on me after 90 days and I just waste $90. And the reviews are so poor every where you go its sad.

11. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

x1,000
    Don't buy into the beats crap. I returned mine.
    Look around Head-fi, GREAT site for headphone info.

12. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I don't know if you're just googling the bad reviews it has, but the lowest it got was 3/5. Mostly due to the pricing.

You have a 1-year warranty. I've had mine for almost a year. They're still kicking. I'm not careful with mine either. I yank them out of my ear and I carry my phone while its still attached to it. Still works awesome. I like the fact that I can shover it in my pocket and instantly taking it out without fiddling with the cables. I love that flat, tangle-free cable.

I google the Bose IE2 reviews and it pretty much got the same exact ratings as the Tour, 3/5. The low ratings was mostly due to the fit of the earpiece, it was too "open"

Of course there WILL always be positive and negative outliers for both but the average is what matters, but believe what you want. It's your money and your ears. Maybe I hear differently than you and have different level of comfort.

14. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol Im not "googling" bad reviews, Im reading on Amazon.com where I buy most my things. There are MORE 1 star reviews than any other reviews (5, 4, 3, 2).

Also, the REFURBs only come with a 90 day warranty. I refuse to drop $90 for something to die from lack of QC after 90 days.

15. Frenchjay, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

16. njgeek macrumors regular

17. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

So I gave in and went and bought the beats by dre tour's and I must say... they suck as bad as the ibeats but for more money.

Easily the worst headphones Ive bought. They ace my ears, they dont stay in very long because they are so heavy and they sound on par to my $40 Titan SkullCandy's. Ill be returning them back to bestbuy today.

18. daemonite macrumors member

19. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

Where can you get the hje's for under 130? Panasonic discontinued them in the us, so unless you live in japan theyre around 300 converted.

I listen to the same music as the op, I have found that my go to are the meelectronics m6 (50 retail) can be had for 20, because they have great bass and clarity, but don't have to baby them. Absolutely no microphonics, and best cable I've had on anything less than 150. If your'e bent on spending more, I would go with the hippo vb (variable bass), monster turbine pro gold or copper (refurbished for 99), shure se215, or if you can find the above panasonics for 100 (the original price for these) then go for it, although if you don't like harsh treble (s4), you may not like these. They supposedly have very good range though due to zirconia used in the housing.

20. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Here they are for 140$.

http://www.yesmicro.com/product_p/rphje900.htm

Like you said I think they are discontinued but in the event the cable breaks Panasonic will have an inventory of replacements to send out to you. Not only that but another companies cables fit these headphones if you just wanted to buy them.

The Hippo Vb are great but they are also difficult to find. I would just save a little money and get the IE8's which are better than all the other mentioned and are readily availability with accessories.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

tons of great reviews on http://www.head-fi.org like others said. it's a audiophile geeks stomping ground. if you read they are not to nice on the Dre line. ;) honestly http://www.meelec.com/default.asp some great stuff too for the price. also for the million time ajays four $70 have vg reviews love mine..

22. bl00per macrumors member

23. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Are those the ones where you have to drape the cord over the top of your ears?

24. labman, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

I wish people would learn Dre is more gimmick and style then sound. I have yet to read a positive review from a audiophile on any Dre headphones. I bet even Dre himself doesn't like them. There are better headphones in every category and for much less money. The site intentioned is the place to get reviews from audiophiles not people that just think they look cool.

25. nutritious macrumors 6502

They aren't kind to most kind of celebrity branding, for the most part. And they're not into the type of the sound the Beats line provides, which is exaggerated bass. However, young people love that kind of sound. They were designed to sound the way they do, which is what most audiophiles don't get. They confuse it with being crappy. I find the build quality to be crappy outside of anything but the Pros. But I understand why the non-audiophile loves their sound.

I personally don't like the beats. I have some AD900s and M50s. But most people who don't know about sound will find the beats to be better sounding because of all its bass.