Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njsa04playa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
new joisey
Hey everyone i just wanted to share my thoughts on the beats by dre solo hd version...

-Previously i have had a pair of klipsh si4 in ear headphones and now that i have these beats, the sound quality of the klipsch was noticably better...

Now onto the beats...

The solo hd version that i purchased from best buy for 200 dollars a few days ago is extremely overpriced. The one quality they have above any other headphones is the style and how they are basically an accessorie for any other spoiled teenagers like myself... I listen to them out of my macbook pro 13 and the bass is amazing on these headphones as others have said, but there is something lacking in the mids.. The highs arent reproduced as well as 200 dollar headphones should be but they are still there, the mids i have a hard time discerning.

Im not sure if it is just these headphones or all over ear headphones since i do not have previous experience with prolonged usage of on ear phones, but after about 15 minutes the exterior of my ear is in pain (not the eardrum) from i guess being pushed back against my head? It makes the headphones uncomfortable and awkward to wear with this constant pain on the outside of my ear...

BUT..... These headphones are friggen hot, the red on them pops and i like the control talk feature...

So thanks for listening to me ramble, but if you have any questions on them just holla...

-R M

p.s. attached is just a generic picture (The studios not solos)

Attachments

• 447930.jpg
    447930.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 10,976

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
While I was shopping around for good headphones I tried some of these out. The bass is pretty powerful but the overall range didn't seem nearly as good as the Bose QC 15's. I went with Bose and have not regretted it one bit. $300 may be a lot to shell out for headphones but they sound better than the $400 pair of beats by dre in my opinion.

njsa04playa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
new joisey
While I was shopping around for good headphones I tried some of these out. The bass is pretty powerful but the overall range didn't seem nearly as good as the Bose QC 15's. I went with Bose and have not regretted it one bit. $300 may be a lot to shell out for headphones but they sound better than the $400 pair of beats by dre in my opinion.

But there is also a difference, the 400 dollar pair of beats are meant for djs and sound producers not audiophiles that like their music, my belief is that the dj and studio headphones of any brand have all the different tracks not mixed together and each sound is easily discerned from the other, wheras with the QC15s they were made for regular day to day people

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks for the review, OP. Very interesting and comprehensive, and it is always helpful when someone takes the time and trouble to post such a detailed and thoughtful review.

While I never seriously contemplated actually getting the beats, you have certainly convinced me not to do so, and for that, I thank you.

Cheers

njsa04playa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
new joisey
Thanks for the review, OP. Very interesting and comprehensive, and it is always helpful when someone takes the time and trouble to post such a detailed and thoughtful review.

While I never seriously contemplated actually getting the beats, you have certainly convinced me not to do so, and for that, I thank you.

Cheers

Any time, if theres anything else you need me to review just let me know! i have an addiction for gadgets hahah...

The beats are good if u only listen to rap/hip hop and want a fashion accessory hahah...

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Thanks for the review. I've seen a lot of DJ's using these lately... I still use my Sony MDR-V700DJ which used to be the "cool" DJ fashion accessory, but unlike many other fashion accessories, the 700's were revolutionary in their time, and very functional. I will probably get the Beats ones when my 700's break..

But for listening to music at home, and truly enjoying the full range of sound, there is nothing better then the Bose On-Ear headphones. I compared them to all the other Bose and DRE models at the time, and they sounded the best.... They are also much cheaper then the QC headphones from Bose ($179 and you can often get them refurb or used for $99 bucks).

I would only recommend the QC models to those who fly more then a few times a year for the noise canceling, but as I said, the on-ear ones sound better then the QC.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I have both the the Solos & a pair of Bose headphones, and to me each has their own strengths.

Like the TC pointed out, the Solos are not despite their supposed intentions, headphones you can wear for extended periods of time. Because they are on ear headphones, they clamp on ears to stay, putting pressure on. Their isn't a true fit like in ear or over ear headphones. Matter of fact, I often find myself adjusting the headphones because any movement seems to make the Solos slide off. A strange thing considering headphones that have a controller on them, meaning they are intended for you to wear them with your iPhone.

What I do like about the Solos though is the bass, and how much more I seem to be able to crank the sound up over my Bose. The Bose are a more comfortable fit, a very comfortable fit. The sound though isn't as intense, it's a more measured overall stronger sound. The Bose are headphones I would want to wear for extended periods, but not if I wanted to really blast some music.

I've been considering the Studios as a tradeoff, but $300 headphones is a bit much for me since I do not consider myself much of audiophile. The comfort is there in the Studios, and when you listen to the canned BEP music they use to demonstrate the sound does seem strong enough.

While I wouldn't consider the Beat Solos just 'eh', I would say to someone who does wear their headphones for an extended period, to look at the Bose.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Any time, if theres anything else you need me to review just let me know! i have an addiction for gadgets hahah...

The beats are good if u only listen to rap/hip hop and want a fashion accessory hahah...

Thank you for your kind offer.

No, definitely not hip-hop, nor rap, nor heavy metal, not my idea of fun listening at all. My preferences are more in the line of classical, smooth jazz, trad, R & B, funk, fusion, soul, easy listening, and some pop.....

If you have ever come across the Thinksound Rain in-ear earphones, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

While I am currently looking out for a really good set of in ear phones (I have a pretty good Bose and a pretty good Sennheiser but woule like something better), I am curious to get some feedback on both the Thinksound (very ecological) and, also, a set that a poster on another thread recommended to me, the Shure 535; these are extraordinarily expensive, but I was assured that they are extremely good.

Anyway, once again, thanks for posting your very interesting review; it is always useful to learn about these things.

Cheers

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I've never bought anything made by Monster or BOSE.

That is because you are no fool.

Bose = overpriced mediocrity.

Dr Dre Beats = I gotta look cool (but everyone thinks I look like a tool)

Lady Gaga Beats = See above, but for eight year old girls

Monster = Applies analogue technospeak to digital cables and fleeces the innocent. Monster applies to the prices, not the value of the product.

People, if you continue to buy this rubbish you will only encourage them.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That is because you are no fool.

Bose = overpriced mediocrity.

Dr Dre Beats = I gotta look cool (but everyone thinks I look like a tool)

Lady Gaga Beats = See above, but for eight year old girls

Monster = Applies analogue technospeak to digital cables and fleeces the innocent. Monster applies to the prices, not the value of the product.

People, if you continue to buy this rubbish you will only encourage them.

Fair enough, and while barbed, still probably a fair comment, but what do you recommend?

And never will..Overpriced crap. I've been an audiophile for 40 years. This stuff is garbage

As an audiophile, what do you use and what would you recommend?

Cheers

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
Beats by Dre and Bose are in the same business, they take decent components, pack them into a good looking shell, and market the crap out of them. You can easily find a product from a professional brand such as klipsch or senheiser that beats the performance for half the price.

njsa04playa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
new joisey
Thank you for your kind offer.

No, definitely not hip-hop, nor rap, nor heavy metal, not my idea of fun listening at all. My preferences are more in the line of classical, smooth jazz, trad, R & B, funk, fusion, soul, easy listening, and some pop.....

If you have ever come across the Thinksound Rain in-ear earphones, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

While I am currently looking out for a really good set of in ear phones (I have a pretty good Bose and a pretty good Sennheiser but woule like something better), I am curious to get some feedback on both the Thinksound (very ecological) and, also, a set that a poster on another thread recommended to me, the Shure 535; these are extraordinarily expensive, but I was assured that they are extremely good.

Anyway, once again, thanks for posting your very interesting review; it is always useful to learn about these things.

Cheers

If you dont mind me asking, what is your price range? I still have my Klipsch Si4 In-Ear headphones and they are very very high quality.

I bought them for 80 dollars from best buy but they can be had on the internet for 60 (USA Dollars) easily. If anything do what i did... Buy a few pairs of headphones from BestBuy use them all for about a month then return all of them except the ones you are keeping... This way you do not screw the system and although you are paying more than you can find online for them that premium is because you got to tryout those and a bunch of other headphones and compare them listening to YOUR setup with YOUR music whereas you can listen to them In-Store on music that was optimized for them where some models may be more worn than others.

But i can vouch for the Klipsch, it was between those or the Beats Tours In-ear (150 price tag) and the klipsch way out performed them in durability (Tours broke after 1 week) and sound, Klipsch was much fuller and defined versus synthetic bass heavy beats..

KLIPSCH Si4 In-Ear Headphones, best in ear headphones on the market under 250

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
At Future Shop, Monster used to run a demo on a split screen TV (a sort of picture in picture) showing Monster cable vs competition. It was smoke and mirrors (sham) as the left half used component and the right half composite. This puts their ethics squarely in the sh....
Seems I wasn't the only one who noticed.
Future Shop
Frys
BOSE marketing

Last edited:

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
Shure 535

I would agree with people who recommend Klipsch, Sennheiser as real audio headphones and yes BOSE and Monster are companies that prey on technically illiterate people. However expensive as they are Shure 535's are probably the best IEM phones in existence, physically very comfortable, great but accurate bass, incredibly detailed mid range and silky smooth extended highs. Drawbacks are the high price , the total isolation from the outside world and the realisation that you really need to rip at speeds of at least 320 or lossless in order to fully utilise the 535's amazing ability to open a window into the music. The clear version is also an ubergeek looker!!!:)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
At Future Shop, Monster used to run a demo on a split screen TV (a sort of picture in picture) showing Monster cable vs competition. It was smoke and mirrors (sham) as the left half used component and the right half composite. This puts their ethics squarely in the sh....

Monster is still pulling this type of stunt on its latest cables. Take a look at this:

http://monstercableshdmi.blogspot.com/2011/06/magnetic-ferrite-cores-beads-for-24awg.html

Ferrite cores for digital data transmission, if you please. Because those 1s and 0s will look so much better without 'interference'.

trevolly

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
any thoughts on the B&w P5?

I did this review quite a while ago for my companies website, I thought I'd post it after the above request.....please remember that it's my opinion, I'm no expert or DJ =, just someone who enjoys good quality sound........

Renowned for their attention to detail in both design and sound quality, Bowers & Wilkins mix their products with classic looks and cutting edge technology. High quality materials make their products look and feel luxurious, as well as ensuring they last. To buy a Bowers & Wilkins product is to buy in to an experience.

In January 2010 Bowers & Wilkins launched their first set of stereo headphones, the P5 Mobile Hi- Fi Headphones. Nicknamed “Concert for One” the B&W P5 are a set of portable headphones designed with quality on the move in mind. Using high quality materials, (the headphones are only made from metal and the softest of New Zealand Sheep’s leather), the P5 headphones use a noise isolation system to ensure that the wearer experiences fantastic sound quality whether walking down the street or sitting on the train. Pop these on your ears and the world around becomes perfectly muffled so your ears can appreciate the quality of the music that you are about to hear. No need for noise cancellation techno shenanigans with these little babies!!

The P5s have been designed with the iPod in mind and works with all iPods; the headphone cable is also fitted with a “Works with iPhone” remote and mic. No need to worry about having to reach for the iPhone if you get a call or want to change track.

The P5s come with a mighty reputation to live up to, and after using these for a week I feel they more than live up to what other products from Bowers and Wilkins, like the Zeppelin have delivered.

Designed with a retro feel in mind the P5s initially felt quite big to be used as a “portable” headset but after putting them on and feeling the leather ear pads cushion around your ears, they feel straight at home and it is amazing how you soon you almost forget they are on! The P5s ship with a padded pouch to look after them and two interchangeable audio cables which are changed by removing the magnetically attached earpads.

Where most headphones use effects from the headset to deepen the bass and enhance treble, the P5s concentrate on using the most advanced technology to be used in headphones. High quality ultra-linear neodymium magnets and highly-optimised mylar diaphragms deliver a rich, natural sound with an incredible level range. No need for gimmicky effects from these headphones, let the music do the talking!!

After trying out many different genres of music, I was blown away with the bass these offered: delivering pure, deep tones, but never sounding as if they were “faking it” like some headphones can. At the other end of the spectrum, the treble on these headphones handle beautifully: crisp clear vocals ring out. At no point in listening to the P5s do either ends of the audio spectrum become mixed and suffer.

Combining these areas make these headphones reawaken music that I have previously listened to, and I find myself trawling through older albums, smiling as I notice different sounds and vocals I’ve missed before. After owning these headphones for a week I find them opening up even more, offering more performance.

PS: The Dr Dre's are overpriced and really not worth the money, poor, plastiky build quality and the bass is overpowering to the point it's false.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you dont mind me asking, what is your price range? I still have my Klipsch Si4 In-Ear headphones and they are very very high quality.

I bought them for 80 dollars from best buy but they can be had on the internet for 60 (USA Dollars) easily. If anything do what i did... Buy a few pairs of headphones from BestBuy use them all for about a month then return all of them except the ones you are keeping... This way you do not screw the system and although you are paying more than you can find online for them that premium is because you got to tryout those and a bunch of other headphones and compare them listening to YOUR setup with YOUR music whereas you can listen to them In-Store on music that was optimized for them where some models may be more worn than others.

But i can vouch for the Klipsch, it was between those or the Beats Tours In-ear (150 price tag) and the klipsch way out performed them in durability (Tours broke after 1 week) and sound, Klipsch was much fuller and defined versus synthetic bass heavy beats..

KLIPSCH Si4 In-Ear Headphones, best in ear headphones on the market under 250

Thanks for that, much appreciated and you are not the first to recommend the Klipsch on these fora, so it is something I really ought to look into. Apologies for the delay in responding to your question, I haven't visited the forum for a few days for an extended trawl through the various sections.

Re price, as I like quality products (and have an Apple computer, a Leica camera, etc), and am prepared both to take the time to do the research necessary and spend what the asking price is for what I have decided to buy, price is not the determining factor - quality (and time thinking, planning, researching are) are.

I have had Bose and Sennheiser in-ear buds, and, while good, I actually would like to get something better - i.e. better quality, better sound, more comfortable, etc.

I would agree with people who recommend Klipsch, Sennheiser as real audio headphones and yes BOSE and Monster are companies that prey on technically illiterate people. However expensive as they are Shure 535's are probably the best IEM phones in existence, physically very comfortable, great but accurate bass, incredibly detailed mid range and silky smooth extended highs. Drawbacks are the high price , the total isolation from the outside world and the realisation that you really need to rip at speeds of at least 320 or lossless in order to fully utilise the 535's amazing ability to open a window into the music. The clear version is also an ubergeek looker!!!:)

Thanks for your comments; this is what I have heard from other sources - and from reviews; I must give them some serious thought.

I did this review quite a while ago for my companies website, I thought I'd post it after the above request.....please remember that it's my opinion, I'm no expert or DJ =, just someone who enjoys good quality sound........

Renowned for their attention to detail in both design and sound quality, Bowers & Wilkins mix their products with classic looks and cutting edge technology. High quality materials make their products look and feel luxurious, as well as ensuring they last. To buy a Bowers & Wilkins product is to buy in to an experience.

In January 2010 Bowers & Wilkins launched their first set of stereo headphones, the P5 Mobile Hi- Fi Headphones. Nicknamed “Concert for One” the B&W P5 are a set of portable headphones designed with quality on the move in mind. Using high quality materials, (the headphones are only made from metal and the softest of New Zealand Sheep’s leather), the P5 headphones use a noise isolation system to ensure that the wearer experiences fantastic sound quality whether walking down the street or sitting on the train. Pop these on your ears and the world around becomes perfectly muffled so your ears can appreciate the quality of the music that you are about to hear. No need for noise cancellation techno shenanigans with these little babies!!

The P5s have been designed with the iPod in mind and works with all iPods; the headphone cable is also fitted with a “Works with iPhone” remote and mic. No need to worry about having to reach for the iPhone if you get a call or want to change track.

The P5s come with a mighty reputation to live up to, and after using these for a week I feel they more than live up to what other products from Bowers and Wilkins, like the Zeppelin have delivered.

Designed with a retro feel in mind the P5s initially felt quite big to be used as a “portable” headset but after putting them on and feeling the leather ear pads cushion around your ears, they feel straight at home and it is amazing how you soon you almost forget they are on! The P5s ship with a padded pouch to look after them and two interchangeable audio cables which are changed by removing the magnetically attached earpads.

Where most headphones use effects from the headset to deepen the bass and enhance treble, the P5s concentrate on using the most advanced technology to be used in headphones. High quality ultra-linear neodymium magnets and highly-optimised mylar diaphragms deliver a rich, natural sound with an incredible level range. No need for gimmicky effects from these headphones, let the music do the talking!!

After trying out many different genres of music, I was blown away with the bass these offered: delivering pure, deep tones, but never sounding as if they were “faking it” like some headphones can. At the other end of the spectrum, the treble on these headphones handle beautifully: crisp clear vocals ring out. At no point in listening to the P5s do either ends of the audio spectrum become mixed and suffer.

Combining these areas make these headphones reawaken music that I have previously listened to, and I find myself trawling through older albums, smiling as I notice different sounds and vocals I’ve missed before. After owning these headphones for a week I find them opening up even more, offering more performance.

PS: The Dr Dre's are overpriced and really not worth the money, poor, plastiky build quality and the bass is overpowering to the point it's false.

A great review and thanks for posting it; much appreciated. Prior to reading this thread, I had never heard of the Bowers & Wilkins range; must admit that you've certainly piqued my curiosity; in fact, now I must head off to do some research on the topic.

What you've said about the Dr Dre's also echoes what quite a few others have already posted.

Cheers

kim2272

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Sunshine State
Thanks for the review. I must say that I agree with you OP. The headphones are very nice and look cool. I eventually reurned them and bought Bose headphones for $80 less for a couple of reasons. I have tinnitus, which is ringing in the ears which I got from one of my chemotherapy treatments. The bass on the Beats affected it even more. Also, after listening to music for half an hour, my ear drum and head started to hurt. I love the Bose AE2 because they allow me to listen to music without the pain and I think the sound quality is great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.