Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seb1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Hey Im just after some advice and your experiences with beats by dre. I'm thinking of getting a pair would like you thoughts on them. Cheers

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
They're good, you have my guarantee. There's zero sound-leakage and the headphones offer a comfortable fit over your ears. If you have extra dough, go for the Pro.

seb1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Are the pro a lot better??? I do like bass but I'm an all around listener so will they be suitable for use with rock/pop/indie so on really don't know much about the headphone department of things just know I want a good pair for on the bus to work and around the house at night.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
My wife got me the Solo HD for xmas last year and I love them. I prefer the Solo HD just because of their size.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Don't get any of the Beats By Dre. If you enjoy music, try Sennheiser, or my favorite at the moment, Grado. Here is a good alternative to the Solo's:

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR325is-Headphones/dp/B000J1N3HW

They might not exactly be pretty, but if you appreciate sound, only go with the best. :)

sr325is.png

seb1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Cheers for all the input what are they like for durability because I'm quite heavy handed???

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Do not buy any headphones by dr dre they are just a gimmick. There are not the worst sounding headphones but you can get some for the same price or less that sound way better. Like the previous poster said get a pair or grado or sennheisers for superior sound quality and build quality. :)

JessicaR

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Pros:
they sound awesome
they get rid of background noise

Cons:
they are expensive
they do not always fit into iphone cases

Do not buy any headphones by dr dre they are just a gimmick. There are not the worst sounding headphones but you can get some for the same price or less that sound way better. Like the previous poster said get a pair or grado or sennheisers for superior sound quality and build quality. :)

agree i have sampled these headphones and was expecting a hella lot more - given the hype and all the +ve reviews (marketing)

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Don't get any of the Beats By Dre. If you enjoy music, try Sennheiser, or my favorite at the moment, Grado. Here is a good alternative to the Solo's:

They might not exactly be pretty, but if you appreciate sound, only go with the best. :)

sr325is.png

Completely agree. Beats By Dr. Dre is just a gimmick, and there are better headphones for a much cheaper price.
I bought a Solo HD once, tried it on right outside of the store and went right back in the next minute to return it.

If you're into bass get a Sony XB500, it's much better than Dr. Dre's and 1/3rd the price. But try to find a way to stop the leak.

seb1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Cool a lot of food for thought. Are there many that have the iPhone control? Just don't want to whip my iPhone out all the time to skip track. Cheers for all the help!!!!!! I appreciate it.

seb1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I'm still deciding never thought it would be this hard to chose headphone lol but when your parting with £150, do the dres come with warranty?

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I have the regualar Solo's and I love them, great because of the iPod control and if u have a call come in the built in mic support

no background noise at all for me

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

sr325is.png

I don't know about that exact Grado model, but the problem with Grados is that they're open design, which means they don't really block out outside noises, and they leak sound so that everyone can hear your music. They also produce no bass!!!!! And regarding their appearance, I don't think they're ugly at all! ;)

Anyway, for a somewhat full list of earphones/IEM with a remote, check the list of earphones I juuuuust wrote here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1133273/

It's not complete, but it's probably close! Other people have added a bunch of other models as well.

Last edited:

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
^ Agreed with the Grado statement..

Ah, but I use my Grado's for home listening. And yes, even though they are open, I don't use them in particularly loud places. Yes, they do leak a little bit of sound. However, the bass isn't really the sound signature of the Grado's (I have the SR-125i's), to be quite honest, it's all equalized and has a midrange heavy sound signature. That's what I love about my Grado's, nice mix of highs and lows, and an awesome midrange. Oh, and the soundstage isn't congested like some other brands I have tried.

seb1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
So I'm taking away from this that grado are better for home use, but dress are better for no sound leakage?

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
So I'm taking away from this that grado are better for home use, but dress are better for no sound leakage?

Umm, Dre's have a lot of sound leakeage, depending on the model, especially the studios. The Solo's arent' that bad thout. Get some IEM's if you want to take it on the road or some noise canceclling ones like Able Planet or Bose.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Not exactly.

Basically, all open headphones are designed for use when you're alone. They leak sound, much like sound would leak out from your window when it's open. ;) The shell of the headphones themselves actually have openings for the sound to leak out. The people sitting beside you will be able to hear all your music clearly (very annoying for everyone else), and you will hear every conversation happening around you, or traffic noise, car engine.

Closed headphones are designed so that they're not vented, so the headphones are designed to direct the music to the listener's ears (inside the "cup" of each headphone). They will naturally "muffle" all sound around you, since wearing closed headphones is like putting your hands over your ears. In-ear earphones (IEMs) muffle the sound better than closed headphones, but closed cans are much better than open.

The reason why some people like open headphones is because they have what audiophiles call a bigger "soundstage". It basically means that every instrument can be heard distinctly, and it sounds like the music is coming from different areas of a really big concert stage. It's not a big deal for most rock songs, dance, rap, pop, etc. It's when you get to bands that use a lot of rich sounds and instruments where this may be a problem.

In-ear monitors (IEMs) are good because they're very portable, and produce strong bass AND sound isolation. IEMs can easily produce more bass than headphones (closed or open), and so most of them do. ;) However, they have the lowest soundstage (compared to nearly every pair of headphones), so the music all sounds like it's coming directly into your ear rather than from a bunch of different directions. It may not be a big deal, depending on the type of music you listen to. Personally, I don't think you'd care much. ;) Also, headphones will always give you high sound quality, even for $50. To get the same sound quality from in-ears, you need to spend at least $100 (or double the money) to match a $50 pair of headphones.

You said you listen to rock/pop/indie, and outside (on a bus), so I'd get closed cans with strong bass ("low frequency"), and also decent treble and clarity, but not necessarily too much. The Audio-Technica ES7 "Ear-suit" are small and portable like the Dre Solo HD, and look awesome. :) Amazon LINK. They're easily driven by something like an iPod or iPhone, unlike some of the larger headphones that may need more power than an iPhone can provide. They're also closed headphones, but small headphones don't generally isolate (muffle external noises) very well, and that includes the Earsuits. :eek:

If you don't mind a slightly larger pair of headphones, there are several on the market I could recommend.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.