Beats By Dre vs Bose

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hydrocity, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hey can anyone give me some advice on what type of in-ear headphones are better.

I had the Bose in ears and they were very nice, but they broke. I hear the Beats by dre are also good, so I am not sure if I should go back to bose or try Beats by dre.

I like alot of base as I listen to techno-ish type of music.

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

These will crap all over both these headphones if you want something in the same price range. The bass on these things are amazing and they have a great sound!

http://www.unclewilsons.com/shop/step1.php?number=644

3. in0va3 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Get the monster turbine at amazon for $100 with more bass! I think im getting that over the bose mie2i or dre tour

4. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have never heard of those, but I will look at them. I have not looked around, but I live in Canada, so I am not sure if that site delivers to Canada.

I had these before, and I did not find it had the same bass as the Bose. It was a while ago (2 years?) so they might have been updated or something.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Monster Turbines are supposed to be much better than the Beats by Dre. The problem with the Turbines is their lack of an iPhone remote for changing tracks and adjusting volume.

Granted, what I said about the Turbines is just based off of widespread opinion, but I can certainly believe it. The Beats Tours I have tried were OK, but I'd only recommend them if they were half the price.

Personally, if I were getting an IEM for my iPhone, I'd look at either the Klipsch S4i, and the new Denon C560r. I think the Denons are more suited to you. I just bought them as well. ;) I owned the Klipsch for 8 months though. It's regarded as the best iPhone earphones due to overall sound, and the remote. Still, the Denons are better. Such incredible bass, but it doesn't become a distraction or result in poor performance at other frequencies.

The DiddyBeats and Dre Beats are probably very similar.

6. in0va3 macrumors member

I feel that the Klipsch S4/i are really cheap on durability by the looks of it compared to Bose or Monster. But thats only by the looks and I've seen the plastic part near the jack crack a bit in the internet.

The Tours are really overpriced IMO. They just really popular that they had to be priced that high. Nothing special about it except it's looks and it's cable design and color.

I'm really looking into the Monster Turbine :) and Bose MIE2i (it's not sold in stores yet so Turbine for now). I'm still trying to find out the warranty of Turbines though since online stores says 1 year while a Monster rep told me it's 3-years. I just want to confirm. :confused:

Higher priced earphones like Shure's SE 315/425/535 are purely for sound quality and durability and even though it's so expensive, it's worth it for it's quality. Not much people buy it though since it's a lot of $$$. I'll look at those years later once I get myself a $100 pair of earphones.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I just wrote a review of my new Denon C560r in the New Purchases thread in the Picture Gallery forum. Reliability is the one thing I really don't like on my previous Klipsch S4i. They weren't even the worst pair I have ever had. I had even worse experience with JAYS. :eek:

And while I would have looked at other earphones, I really wanted the iPhone remote. It's such a pain to switch tracks without it!!

8. ADMProducer macrumors regular

I have beats by dre Studio headphones.

They're the best pair of headphones I've used for clarity/bass etc.

They don't have LOTS of bass, that have the perfect amount. They also have amazing clarity in the higher up frequencies that most headphones struggle to produce.

Being a part time music producer it's important to hear my mixes perfectly so i'd recommended either the Solo, or Studio headphones.

9. leepetersonuk macrumors member

I've owned both.

For in ear the Bose and Beats aren't too far off, but I prefer the sound isolation and buds on the beats.

Over ear the Studio's are way better to my ears than Bose.

10. 301finest macrumors regular

I owned a pair of the in-ear Monster tours. They sounded great and they were really nice headphones. Only problem was the fit. They do come with different bud ends, but they never seem to stay in my ear. But for the most part I enjoyed them. I recently upgraded to the Solo's HD and I love em

11. CZK, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Bought beats tour by dr dre last month.

They lasted for a good 2 weeks. ( right earphone is dead.......)

Pretty ****** for 200 bucks earphones. I am going to rebuy them and return them switch pairs in the box since i lost my receipt.
    ________
    Toyota Tercel Specifications

12. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Are you comparing which one is worse? Because beats and bose are one of the crappiest "performance to price ratio" earphones/headphones in the industry.

Since your in Canada, i suppose you will be buying from futureshop, you should get any of the MONSTER TURBINE series if you have to get monster products. The cheapest would be monster turbine and the most bass would be turbine pro gold.

Otherwise you could get sennheiser ie8 these should have more than enough bass for you. Cheaper options would be Klipsch S4i or the hippo vb recommended by frenchjay, that unclewilson online store ships to canada and their customer service is top-notch.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I have had both, and am currently using the dre beats

the bose were much, much, MUCH more comfortable...and I'm thinking of picking up a pair (my last pair was stolen)

however, although they do sound very good, the sound quality of the bose is not nearly as good as it is on the beats.

If you aren't much of an audiophile, go with the bose. They will still sound worlds better than any cheap set of earphones, and are the most comfortable in ears i've ever used. However, if what your looking for is the best sound quality of the 2, the beats are the obvious choice

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I completely disagree
    although I will say I think the beats are a bit overpriced for what they are

15. in0va3 macrumors member

bose are in between, not very good and not very bad, just middle

16. shadowjeff macrumors regular

As i said, performance : price ratio meaning for what you pay, you could other better headphones. Though the beats sounded pretty bad to me when i demoed them, the beats still look pretty cool though.

And if you an audiophile, you wouldn't go with beats or bose. Check out head-fi.org and you will see how badly these two are bashed.

17. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

If i was you i would save up some money and buy the sennheiser ie8.

There is very little chance you will be disappointed. Not just the amazing sound quality and soundstage but the cable is one of the best on the market. You can replace the kevlar coated cable from the headphones in the event they break which wont happen anytime soon if your careful.

Honestly i went through four pairs in a year and i can't even imagine going back to bose after listening to these. The hippo vb are very good aswell just the non replaceable cable is the only issue for me. They have tons of bass and the housing is well built.

If you buy the sennheiser they will last you years!!

18. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I picked up the Bose Quiet Comfort 15s, which have been ranked as the best active noise canceling headphones by a ton of tech sites. I tried the Dre studio headphones for a few days, but the noise cancellation wasn't adequate for me.

The QC15s are fantastic and really helped me study for my comprehensive exams.

19. alent1234 macrumors 603

the general rule is don't buy anything made by Monster or Bose. the exception is that Bose is OK for old people. Monster is crap for everyone

20. swiftbmx macrumors regular

You should have named this thread; "What pile of sheeeet headphones should I spend $100-150 on?" Seriously, avoid both unless you are getting them for next to nothing. There's many better headphones that are in the same price range. Even the Apple In-Ear are better than either of those. Monster's Turbine line is the only one worth buying.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

what others?
    Im interested to see, because for that price I can't think of many better sets

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

you sir, are incorrect

23. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Panasonic rp-hje900

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...ormance/RP-HJE900/Overview/4673251/index.html

Review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-hje900

Head direct re0

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38

Review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/head-direct-re0-in-ear-headphones

Both of these are similar priced or cheaper and will absolutely crap on either the Bose or beats hands down!!

24. gnychis macrumors 6502

I purchased a pair of Shure E500s (now renamed) for $320 4 or 5 years ago, and they are *by far* an excellent investment. The SQ is amazing and they're extremely durable. The sound isolation is also great, it's like putting in ear plugs. You only hear your music. Well worth if it you're thinking a long term marriage with a pair of headphones.