Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine Meeting with Musicians Over Exclusive Beyonce-Like Album Releases

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine has been meeting with a number of music artists over doing exclusive album releases similar to Beyoncé's incredibly successful iTunes album last year, reports the New York Post.

Citing sources close to the matter, the paper notes that Iovine is using his close connections with popular musicians like Nicki Minaj, Pharrell, and Gwen Stefani to create new side deals that would bring exclusives, with Beats also said to be negotiating additional promotional deals after a successful campaign with AT&T earlier this year.
    The promotional relationship ended a few months ago, and parties are discussing future deals. "They outperformed expectations in terms of the upsell," said one source of AT&T.

[​IMG]

In February, it was reported that Apple's iTunes chief Robert Kondrk met with record label executives during Grammy Week in January about the potential of more exclusive album releases similar to Beyoncé's. Kondrk emphasized sales through digital storefronts like iTunes in those meetings, and asked executives if they could lock down individual track sales after a certain window of time to create greater attention for artists and their music.

Beyoncé's self-titled album broke a number of records after its exclusive release on iTunes last December, selling over 828,000 copies in just three days to become the fasting selling collection of music in the service's history. The album was backed by significant promotion on the iTunes Store and across various social media networks.

Article Link: Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine Meeting with Musicians Over Exclusive Beyonce-Like Album Releases

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

iTunes Exclusives is great for everyone. It rewards the best music fans who choose to consume music in the right way. It rewards the biggest and most talented artists with more revenues. And Apple also benefits from being at the forefront of the biggest music releases.

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Jimmy (with his connections) on the team, going to pay off now?…..

4. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

First - I stongly disagree that iTunes is "the right way". Not until Apple offers a proper streaming at least.
    Second - exclusives are a slippery slope. Do I really need to explain this?

5. tennisproha macrumors 65816

ditto.

----------

biggest and most talented are two very different things. some of this is quite subjective. this easily becomes quite convoluted therefore exclusions aren't very good from that angle.

6. macUser2007, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

macUser2007 macrumors 65832

Nope, most without an iTunes account or Beats subscription will not rush to sign on just to hear these exclusives.

This is how the road to mass piracy begins then, again?

Or did someone at Apple just realize that they paid 2.5 billion too much for this Beats thing?

7. arbitter macrumors regular

Wait what? According to you iTunes is the option to consume music the right way? I agree it is a way. But the right way? Shortsighted.

I for one do not like these exclusive deals. What do people do that don't have iTunes or an Appe account, and already pay for a streaming survice like Spotify. Good for Apple to rake in some money sure, but not good for the consumer. Always better if it comes out on all platforms at the same time. Also prevents illegal sharing of course.

8. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

The only true benefactor of using iTunes is Apple.

9. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Well, it pisses off everyone who choses not to use iTunes (it's gotten quite bad at being a music player actually), can't afford portable Apple players or wants something with high fidelity sound (the original iPod shuffle sounds fantastic compared to every other portable player Apple made).

I think it's silly that you just can't download the CD-quality songs and albums and do with that what you please. I once bought something on iTunes because it was a free giveaway and it's been annoying me for years with its DRM stuff. If it's a thing where it's available on iTunes for a few days before everywhere else, that's fine I guess.

Please let us all leverage what the internet offered us and let music be less mainstream, every top 20 song is practically the same now, just to maximize target audience. Just make good music and live with the smaller audiences. Many artists like Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift are actually legit musicians, the production on the albums are making it all terrible though. Almost anyone can record music at home nowadays on a small budget. Anyone can distribute (iTunes, Bandcamp, Amazon, etc.) and promote their stuff too. Record labels (and movie studios) are clinging onto a business model that is very obsolete.

10. Chad-VI macrumors 6502

Chad-VI

I don't know why I feel that this "Talent" is just computer generated.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I only buy CDs so obviously, I disagree. Consume music the right way? How ignorant.

12. dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

thankfully, most decent (read: old) cds will be on ebay for years to come. buy, rip and stick in a box. discover new (read: old) music on free streaming services. wash, rinse, repeat ;)

13. Teste macrumors 6502

I wonder if Iovine is taking "Doctor" Dre with him to threaten to beat people if they don't comply. Although I wonder if the good doctor enjoys beating only black women and no one else.

14. Gudi macrumors 68030

Gudi

Fixed. :cool:

15. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Getting exclusive albums is not the solution to the iTunes problem; it's just going to piss people off.

iTunes as software needs a serious overall. The software seems to be getting progressively worse.

iTunes also should more toward hi-res audio files. This may be happening given the purchase of beats and the lightning port patents for audio.

As for Beats streaming, its good in some ways but I still like the purchase model (especially because I listen to Progressive Rock and there are just too many releases not on the streaming platforms).

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Great, spolied brat entertainers getting richer. How can people not cherish such things? :rolleyes:

Music delivery is changing and people are getting smarter about this stuff. They'll get what they want somehow, they always do. iTunes can play this exclusive game all they want. Trust me, the teenagers will get Beyoncé or whomever else's music they want when they want it. But, whatever makes Apple happy, I guess.

Good luck with that.

17. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Isn't that like saying we now produce a product that is available from day one to everyone in every store to enjoy no matter who they are, where they are or what choices they have made. Everyone has equal chance to enjoy something.

Now, we are trying to find a way to limit the availability of the product to a range of people that choose to use one store.

And this is better for the public how?

Really, hand dumb witts actually defend backward anti consumer concepts like this?

Can you even imagine what apple fans would say is some other company was pushing hard to stop iTunes users getting access to new things and locking them den to non iTunes stores.

Sometimes I thing some people here really want to go back in time and create locked down access to certain groups again.

Makes me sad.

18. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Rihanna and Adele will probably release their new albums like this.

19. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Personally I do not like iTunes exclusives as long as Apple continues to offer music in a lossy format. When Apple start offering Apple Lossless tracks then I will be happy to buy more music from them.

20. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Well, it's getting time. Up until now, at least what we know, not much happened since the acquisition.

I had hoped for some revamped iTunes Radio service out here, but surely not Hello Kitty earbuds :rolleyes:

21. upthetoffees macrumors regular

Strange *story* to post on here. I would guess that most of the macrumors audience couldn't give a damn about Beyoncé or these *exclusive* acts.

What about the up and coming, struggling musicians Apple?

Sickening..

22. teme macrumors 6502

I don't mind these exclusivity deals if they last for a week or two, and after that the same music is available everywhere. If it's more exclusive than that, then it's bad for everybody including record companies and artists.

23. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

It takes talent to program a successful audio-editing app :)

24. thekeyring macrumors 68040

This. The media playing should be separate from the iDevice manager.

Photos and Books have non-iTunes apps on the Mac, so maybe we also need the same for music, movies, etc?

25. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Lack of high quality audio, DRM restrictions, etc.... not everyone is Apple sheep:rolleyes: