Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Maybe I should try the larger tips to see if that blocks out the outside noise better. The thing is that I really don't mind the outside noise. I was running in the gym today and I heard very little of the ambient noise there. I should probably look at the settings on the earbuds. I'm used to earbuds that don't have anything that you can set so I didn't set anything. I didn't even look at the options.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
People hearing me on calls say I sound great, but it’s *their* voice quality and Siri’s voice quality for my ears that is a little lacking/lifeless. Maybe Beats needs to tweak it a little.

This exactly.

I’m told I sound great. They (Siri and the caller) sound grainy or tinny.

I will also say they do (BFP) a better job when walking and running than the APP for me. The APP , I can hear my steps. I don’t hear them with BFP.

Reactions: ReardenMetal

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
People hearing me on calls say I sound great, but it’s *their* voice quality and Siri’s voice quality for my ears that is a little lacking/lifeless. Maybe Beats needs to tweak it a little.
Try some of the settings in accessibility for beats like boosting soft noise.

Reactions: ReardenMetal

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
The Beats are a little bit better than APP when sitting still. However, I tried running outside (slowly) this morning and I could hear the wind blowing by the ears a lot louder than APP.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Does anyone else’s hiss when connected and nothing is playing? This is with ANC and transparency off.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Is anyone else experiencing low volume on the BFP? My first edition AP are louder than these. Please help.
FYI, I took someone’s advice from one of these threads and used the audio accessibility settings to change the sound profile of the BFP to ‘balanced sound’ and not only do they sound better, I think they sound a little louder.
To do this, go into Settings on your phone
then “Audio-Visual,”
then to “Headphone Accommodations”
next switch “On”
then you can select ‘Balanced Tone, Vocal Range, or Brightness.‘
i liked Balanced Tone, and I think it really improves the sound and slightly increases the volume.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
FYI, I took someone’s advice from one of these threads and used the audio accessibility settings to change the sound profile of the BFP to ‘balanced sound’ and not only do they sound better, I think they sound a little louder.
To do this, go into Settings on your phone
then “Audio-Visual,”
then to “Headphone Accommodations”
next switch “On”
then you can select ‘Balanced Tone, Vocal Range, or Brightness.‘
i liked Balanced Tone, and I think it really improves the sound and slightly increases the volume.

Also in these settings try setting soft sounds boosting to moderate or higher.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
That accessibility stuff isn’t improving audio any more than the EQ settings in Apple Music do. And bumping the soft sounds volume is just amplifying the audio which introduces a ton of hiss.

Reactions: Minarets

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
That accessibility stuff isn’t improving audio any more than the EQ settings in Apple Music do. And bumping the soft sounds volume is just amplifying the audio which introduces a ton of hiss.
I think that’s your opinion re accessibility. Obviously, it does have an effect or it wouldn’t exist—and people wouldn’t choose to use it. The sound profile settings noticeably alter the sound. If you don’t like it or can’t hear a difference, fine. I definitely notice a difference using the balanced tone. Soft sounds does introduce a hiss, which is why I don’t use it, but I can see that it might be helpful to some.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Has anyone used these on an airplane yet? I usually travel with my Bose QC 35's but would love to have a company alternative. I've used APP and was set to pick up a par but these came out and seem like they check all the boxes except for the cheap case. Are these contenders for air travel?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Has anyone used these on an airplane yet? I usually travel with my Bose QC 35's but would love to have a company alternative. I've used APP and was set to pick up a par but these came out and seem like they check all the boxes except for the cheap case. Are these contenders for air travel?

It seems like the best approach on these, from what I've gathered here, is to have different types for different uses. I've used these in the gym and running outside and they are really great for that but others have said that other models are better for phone calls and that might be the case for the plane. So now I have to consider a model for not working out in the gym. These devices, while a great convenience and pleasure, are a rabbit hole unto themselves.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
In this other thread, there is a review as good feedback for ANC on flights. Post 41:

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011

The BFP were very good on my flights so far. Flying again tomorrow. They sound better than my APP for music, general listening and flying. Their ANC is not as good as my APP as far as no music on and how much noise are they blocking but for listening to music, I’d rather have BFP than any other true wireless headset so far. Maybe it’s how they fit in to the ear?

Over ears block more noise but if you are just tryin to block sound for a quiet flight keep the QC35 but I don’t like traveling with the big case or the band that’s left in my hair from the headphones when I Arrive to my destination. Also for some reason BOSE feel like my brain is being sucked out. I get headaches from their noise cancellation.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I think that’s your opinion re accessibility. Obviously, it does have an effect or it wouldn’t exist—and people wouldn’t choose to use it. The sound profile settings noticeably alter the sound. If you don’t like it or can’t hear a difference, fine. I definitely notice a difference using the balanced tone. Soft sounds does introduce a hiss, which is why I don’t use it, but I can see that it might be helpful to some.

Balanced tone works well for me.

Also I get no hiss with soft sounds increase.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Its not an opinion. It’s a fact. Those settings are there to aid the hearing impaired. They’re not there for audiophiles.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

I've used the BFP on 5 flights already and used APP for years. I use a Bose A20 aviation over the ear headset when working in front by the big windows and it for reference is way better than the QC35.

QC35 is better than APP/BFP for ANC. But NOT by much. I find the BFP is the worst of the 3 for ANC, but it is VERY close to the extent that it is far more important to me fit, comfort and convienance. Because the APP don't work well for me in workouts, it makes sense to use the BFP and use it exclusively because why in the world should I bring multiple sets of ear buds? They ALL cut noise to just a background hiss, they all allow music to shine even on the airplane and all allow podcasts and spoken word stuff to sound great. Quieter ANC is always awesome, but at a certain point when you are talking about the last 1-2% of noise not being eliminated other things matter more... and the BFP for me are MORE than good enough considering everything else about the size and fit are better for me, and like I said I've used the best ANC headset in the world too so I have a point of reference of what is possible.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
More fit testing! I'm finding that if I wear the headphones like this picture here (from the Verge's review):

DSCF6032_Edited.JPG

They basically feel invisible in my ears. IE rotate the wing so it sits in the "fold" of my ear, rather than push it into the fold of the ear behind it.

If I compress the wing so it fits into the recessed section of my ear (which is what you're "supposed" to do and feels fine on my left ear), that's when I get the uncomfortable pressure that causes fit fatigue on my right ear.

So, out of curiosity, how is everyone else wearing these?

this person is wearing the BFP incorrectly. it is entirely possible it is secure for him but when wearing it like this it basically is like an APP or Beats Studio Buds in that the round silicone seal in the ear is the sole thing holding it in. if you are lucky and the fit is great for your particular ear it will stay, but otherwise it will fall out. the wingtip is designed to be physically touching a fold in your ear and creating a slight bit of upward pressure in your ear to provide a 2nd contact point that locks it in. hopefully the ear fatigue gets less for you, i don't have that issue at all but leaving the wingtip out kinda defeats the purpose of this design and you might be better off with more compact buds in that case that doesn't even have a wingtip.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
After much consideration and research I ended up getting the BFP and I'm very happy with them. I have the 2nd gen airpods and the APP and these Beats are easily my favorites. I spent a lot of money searching for eartips for the APP and finally found the Chargen's worked best for me. Even so, they only stay in a short time before I need to press them back in. I found myself constantly adjusting the APP fit and experimenting with various tips and sizes etc etc. I never found a truly comfortable fit that would stay in for any extended time.

The beats stay in easily, zero adjustment needed. I am not an audiophile so I can't say which of the 3 sound better. I do like the color choices with the beats and decided on black for mine, no issues so far with them looking gross or dirty.

I do miss the wireless charging but it's a minor inconvenience compared to the major hassle of actually wearing a comfortable earbud.

Overall I would say that if you already have APP and are happy with them these aren't an upgrade, BUT....if you are like me and aren't satisfied with the fit of the APP these are very much worth the price.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
After much consideration and research I ended up getting the BFP and I'm very happy with them. I have the 2nd gen airpods and the APP and these Beats are easily my favorites. I spent a lot of money searching for eartips for the APP and finally found the Chargen's worked best for me. Even so, they only stay in a short time before I need to press them back in. I found myself constantly adjusting the APP fit and experimenting with various tips and sizes etc etc. I never found a truly comfortable fit that would stay in for any extended time.

The beats stay in easily, zero adjustment needed. I am not an audiophile so I can't say which of the 3 sound better. I do like the color choices with the beats and decided on black for mine, no issues so far with them looking gross or dirty.

I do miss the wireless charging but it's a minor inconvenience compared to the major hassle of actually wearing a comfortable earbud.

Overall I would say that if you already have APP and are happy with them these aren't an upgrade, BUT....if you are like me and aren't satisfied with the fit of the APP these are very much worth the price.

I expect Apple to come out with a version with wireless charging in a year or two and will upgrade when that happens. The BFP seems like a really popular accessory these days. What I'd really love is if they just sold a case with wireless charging. Or of someone came out with a clever attachment that would fit on the bottom of the case and do wireless charging.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
A question I have for these, if I'm happy with the fit of the oem tips would there be any reason to buy aftermarket ear tips? I've read good things about Spinfit's and I've used Comply in the past but wasn't sure if there's anything that would give any type of added benefit over oem?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
A question I have for these, if I'm happy with the fit of the oem tips would there be any reason to buy aftermarket ear tips? I've read good things about Spinfit's and I've used Comply in the past but wasn't sure if there's anything that would give any type of added benefit over oem?

I don't like the Comply tips myself. I tried them out several years ago and they weren't for me.

You can try aftermarket tips but larger tips might be a problem fitting into the charging case. I did try out the Beats Flex tips and I have a drawer with various tips dating back to 2008 but I think that it's best to use the tips that work with the device.

On another note, does Apple sell replacement tips?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

I got the Comply TW-200-C's on my BFP and it increased the isolation nicely, and I personally find them more enjoyable in the ear, but that might be subjective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.