Beats headphones + lightning connector for HD music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pogoyoyo, May 19, 2014.

1. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

Just thought of this... what if apple bought beats which is probably the largest headphone manufacturer for the same crowd that buys iPhones, because they want a headphone maker onboard with a new lightning connector standard for headphones for HD music (among other reasons I'm sure) when they announce it this year or next year? And maybe Apple will one day get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack?
    They are after all known for their crazy moves like that...

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I like the idea and I'm sure apple has some crazy ideas but I doubt they would get rid of the headphone jack and just use the lightning connector for earphones because then u couldn't charger your iPhone and listen to music at the same time...
    Or u couldnt charge your iphone and have headphones in while watching a movie or playing a game.

3. pogoyoyo thread starter macrumors regular

2x lightning connectors? Or maybe a push for a different, even smaller connector?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Using a better connection isn't going to improve crappy headphones.

5. zipa macrumors 65816

The 3.5 mm jack is perfectly fine and dandy for HD-audio. No need for any new connectors for that reason.

6. pogoyoyo thread starter macrumors regular

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Jack may be fine but the headphone amp has always been noisy which is people use dock and/or lightning connector for clean audio.

8. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

You think the cheap amp in the headphones will be any better?

Will they include a 3.5mm also so we can use our own amp?

9. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Yeah, I read about the article today and came back here and saw this. That would be pretty bad. I run every day, so I depend on my 3.5mm jack. I don't want to buy bad $300 headphones for running.

10. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I doubt they will get rid of the 3.5mm connector in the next 7 years and peoples reaction to the news is mostly just Chicken Little. They are just adding another option, that yes, they will probably use on new Beats headphones.

11. chabig macrumors 68040

If Apple did remove the 3.5mm jack, I'm sure there would be a small inline Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

12. stuffradio macrumors 65816

It would probably cost $30-40 though knowing Apple.

13. zipa macrumors 65816

But the Lightning port has no support for analog audio, so you can't have an adapter. You'll need a DAC.

14. HobeSoundDarryl, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I know "we" will probably spend months (or more) trying to rationalize $3B for Beats but to the OPs rationalization of buying Beats to build them with lightning connectors, the fall back question of "But why Beats" applies. Conceptually Apple could have purchased ANY headphone-making company if the driver of the purchase was to build headphones with lightning connectors. Or they could have built their own Apple-branded headphones with lightning connectors.

Personally, I think the Beats purchase was about trying to "buy cool", buying a company mostly because of it's high profit margins, and maybe buying some shortcut to a subscription music service. I'm less inclined to buy that it's about getting the leader(s) as it seems like Apple could have done that for a lot less than $3B.

Also personally, I think this push toward lightning connector headphones is good and bad. The good is in it's implication that there's probably going to be a significant upgrade in the quality of music files made available via iTunes. If iTunes Match allows local music replacement with THOSE files, anyone's library could get a significant upgrade (perhaps even better than CD). The bad: adapters to go from lightning to the 3.5" standard (even iDevice to Macbook inconveniences, airplane jacks, all other audio equipment). There's also the local storage challenge of these larger-to-much-larger music files else it's "stream everything from iCloud" which probably makes AT&T, Verizon, etc happier.

Here's Forbes take: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...enly-beats-deal-makes-sense/?partner=yahootix which seems to mostly revolve around the profits at the expense of consumer utility.

15. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Almost all the posts are saying "OR". The iDevice must have 3.5mm OR the ability to use Lightning headphones. Why not "AND"? There is absolutely nothing holding Apple back from having Beats headphones with an 3.5mm plug AND a lightning plug. Think about having the cord disconnect at the headphone itself, and shipping with both a Lightning cord and a 3.5mm jack. :rolleyes: