Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a recent interview with TechRadar, Beats president Luke Wood discussed how the company has changed under Apple's leadership, and the upcoming Powerbeats Pro headphones.

powerbeatsproiphone.jpg
The new Powerbeats Pro

According to Wood, the Powerbeats Pro is "the culmination of the full integration of [Beats and Apple] working together from a technological standpoint." The company even took into consideration its reputation for creating bass-heavy products when building the Powerbeats Pro.

Wood said the company has "learned the tools of [its] trade" over the years and improved its products, particularly after being acquired by Apple.
"We thought we were pretty good until we got to Apple, and then we started learning what 'good' really was", he admits between sips of green tea.

What was Apple doing that Beats wasn't? "Apple had so much incredible discipline and rigor around product quality" Wood says.
When asked if a Beats product would ever add in biometric sensors for heart rate monitoring, Wood said he doesn't think that will happen: "We never want to labor customers with a bunch of useless, borderline avant-garde tech." He pointed out that many users already have smart watches with this ability, and having it in a headphone would be unnecessary.

Apple announced Powerbeats Pro earlier in the month, with a launch planned for May 2019. The $250 headphones are completely wireless and are sweat and water resistant, with earhooks and tips in four sizes that ensure they will stay put during workouts. Apple said the headphones feature up to nine hours of listening time, and they also come with a charging case like the AirPods.

Article Link: Beats President Luke Wood: Powerbeats Pro is 'Culmination of the Full Integration' of Apple and Beats

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna

In a recent interview with TechRadar, Beats president Luke Wood discussed how the company has changed under Apple's leadership, and the upcoming Powerbeats Pro headphones.

powerbeatsproiphone.jpg

The new Powerbeats Pro

According to Wood, the Powerbeats Pro is "the culmination of the full integration of [Beats and Apple] working together from a technological standpoint." The company even took into consideration its reputation for creating bass-heavy products when building the Powerbeats Pro.

Wood said the company has "learned the tools of [its] trade" over the years and improved its products, particularly after being acquired by Apple.
When asked if a Beats product would ever add in biometric sensors for heart rate monitoring, Wood said he doesn't think that will happen: "We never want to labor customers with a bunch of useless, borderline avant-garde tech." He pointed out that many users already have smart watches with this ability, and having it in a headphone would be unnecessary.

Apple announced Powerbeats Pro earlier in the month, with a launch planned for May 2019. The $250 headphones are completely wireless and are sweat and water resistant, with earhooks and tips in four sizes that ensure they will stay put during workouts. Apple said the headphones feature up to nine hours of listening time, and they also come with a charging case like the AirPods.

Article Link: Beats President Luke Wood: Powerbeats Pro is 'Culmination of the Full Integration' of Apple and Beats

What a liar ... apple and quality where does this man live ... parallel universe?!

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
The company even took into consideration its reputation for creating bass-heavy products when building the Powerbeats Pro.

That's hard to read.

• Does that mean that Apple took it into consideration that Beats have traditionally sounded like a fart under a wet blanket, through a pillow?
  • Does that mean that Apple decided, "these are not going to sound like a fart under a wet blanket, through a pillow?"

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I’m glad the echo chamber of Apple haters who prefer to spend more time bashing Apple on Apple “Fan” sites than cheering the release of products they are fans of on sites for their fans, have no effect on Apple’s sales or products they make. It used to upset me, now I feel sorry for then. Unless they are being paid, which Samsung has been caught doing around the world.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
So these are totally geared towards fully sealed in-ear 'eh?
Hmm..

Does anyone else not like that when running?

I don't know what it is, but I feel like I end up "hearing and feeling" every single contact with the ground when using fully sealed in-ear for running..

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hmm..

I don't know what it is, but I feel like I end up "hearing and feeling" every single contact with the ground when using fully sealed in-ear for running..

Stick your fingers in your ear while running or achieve your maximum hear rate and you'll experience the very same thing. You're hearing it internally.

What I'm keen to find out more is ...
2x Beam-Forming microphones per unit! One is very close to the inner ear plug while the other is on the outside ... curious if noise reduction is a lot better than what they've defined it as (avoiding the noise cancellation - when it does exactly that).

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Lightning instead of USB C and no wireless charging is preventing me from buying these.

I don't get this sudden fixation on USB-C. I just bought the Sennheiser True Wireless earphones, and I think the only thing I'd change about them would be switching for a micro-USB port (or Lightning, but they're not Apple, so doubtful). They're literally the only device I own that uses the C, and I have phone, tablet, e-reader, watch, etc.

I will say that if you're looking for USB-C, though, they're perfect. I can't believe how good they sound.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't get this sudden fixation on USB-C.

Me either.

It's going to be so so so so long before it's even close to as ubiquitous as the other older USB connectors. In the meantime it's mainly frustrating.

As you said though - if you're someone who's "all in" on USB-C and replacing non-C stuff everywhere preemptively, it's great... for me I just don't replace things like cables and chargers unless they're actually in need of replacement. Hugely wasteful IMO to do otherwise.

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I’m glad the echo chamber of Apple haters who prefer to spend more time bashing Apple on Apple “Fan” sites than cheering the release of products they are fans of on sites for their fans, have no effect on Apple’s sales or products they make. It used to upset me, now I feel sorry for then. Unless they are being paid, which Samsung has been caught doing around the world.

Well at least in balances out the "take my money" posts for Apple product releases that aren't that great or much of an upgrade over what they currently own. Nice to have objectivity on both sides of the fence but it's pretty rare.
[doublepost=1555965705][/doublepost]
Hmm..

I get that a little bit but I think I'm kinda indifferent as sealed usually sounds better and helps block out noise I don't want to hear while running. Though sometimes its nice to hear whats around you for safety/not bumping into people purposes.

When I'm on the train though the open format of my AirPods definitely sucks and I have to play the music too loudly. I think eventually I'll buy the Sony wh-1000xm3's for commuting to work and AirPods for running/working out/cycling(low volume and or one ear) or puttering around purposes. These beats might have made sense to offset both, especially if the sound has improved but having a set of ANC is nice for the plane and traveling as well.

sigurros

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Hmm, do you have any idea what you're talking about?
[doublepost=1555950866][/doublepost]Lightning instead of USB C and no wireless charging is preventing me from buying these.
Same here. They are exactly what I’m looking for but no wireless charging??? Crippled right from the start!

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Does Apple disclose whether the batteries are replaceable or—if they aren't—what the product life expectancy is? Earpod owners are reporting expired earbuds with less than two years of service. Is a bit expensive for wireless convenience.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
It took them 5 entire years to achieve "full integration" of what is essentially Apple hardware with the Apple logo hastily erased and the Beats logo drawn on top?

C'mon. I'd be embarassed to be going around saying stuff like that.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Bass-heavy headphones are a pointless concept. To appreciate bass, you have to feel it rather than hear it. It's great when it's coming out of a floor speaker and reverberates in your bones. Not so much when it makes your ears throb.

Reactions: Dezmond

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Bass-heavy headphones are a pointless concept. To appreciate bass, you have to feel it rather than hear it. It's great when it's coming out of a floor speaker and reverberates in your bones. Not so much when it makes your ears throb.

That’s a matter of taste. Beats have never been for fans of balanced sound.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
That’s a matter of taste. Beats have never been for fans of balanced sound.
It's not a question of balance. It's the nature of bass. Its meant to be felt rather than heard. Listening to bass without feeling it is like the poster described.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Me either.

It's going to be so so so so long before it's even close to as ubiquitous as the other older USB connectors. In the meantime it's mainly frustrating.

As you said though - if you're someone who's "all in" on USB-C and replacing non-C stuff everywhere preemptively, it's great... for me I just don't replace things like cables and chargers unless they're actually in need of replacement. Hugely wasteful IMO to do otherwise.

I don't think you've experienced USB-C to its full potential then.

In my home office, a single USB-C cable connects my laptop to my docking station and:
* Charges my laptop
* Connects all standard USB peripherals from my docking station to my laptop (keyboard, mouse, iPod...yes, I still use one as a hard drive in my car)
* Transfers all video data from laptop to docking station supplying video up to two 4K monitors (I just use one big one though)
* ...and IMHO, it's really the best of both worlds; "non-handed" like the lightning connection while also being small enough to integrate into phones, headphone cases, etc.
* Transfers audio to headphone/speakers connected to docking station
* It's "universal"...companies (like Apple) just need to adopt it instead of lightening cable.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't think you've experienced USB-C to its full potential then.

In my post that you quoted I very clearly said it’s great if you’re all in on USB-C as you are..

For those of us who aren’t though, it’s frustrating and will be a long transition.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
It's not a question of balance. It's the nature of bass. Its meant to be felt rather than heard. Listening to bass without feeling it is like the poster described.

Guess i'm different then. Never been a fan of loud sounds, I love Bass heavy music when listening to it on headphones such as beats, but the second I get in a car with subs it starts making me feel real uncomfortable real fast and I just want to get out of the vehicle. Don't really prefer concerts either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.