Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
So I definitely plan on picking up a pair of Beats headphones - and before anyone goes off on a rant about how I shouldn't - they're PHENOMENAL headphones these days. The Pros were always legit, but the Solo 2's have been reviewed to be excellent headphones by audiophiles even (check out InnerFidelity's review of them on YouTube).

There are others that catch my eye, such as the Philips Fidelio X2 or Sennheiser Urbanites or Momentums, but the Pros are accurate and have plenty of low end - which is what I love, as long as it's quality, controlled low end, which the Pros are/have.

I've read many reports by people saying they can't wear them for more than half an hour, with others saying they can wear them for 8+ hours.

Can anyone with a pair of the Pros comment on their comfortability and how easily they're able to wear them, and for what length of time?

zettabyte

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
So I definitely plan on picking up a pair of Beats headphones - and before anyone goes off on a rant about how I shouldn't - they're PHENOMENAL headphones these days. The Pros were always legit, but the Solo 2's have been reviewed to be excellent headphones by audiophiles even (check out InnerFidelity's review of them on YouTube).

There are others that catch my eye, such as the Philips Fidelio X2 or Sennheiser Urbanites or Momentums, but the Pros are accurate and have plenty of low end - which is what I love, as long as it's quality, controlled low end, which the Pros are/have.

I've read many reports by people saying they can't wear them for more than half an hour, with others saying they can wear them for 8+ hours.

Can anyone with a pair of the Pros comment on their comfortability and how easily they're able to wear them, and for what length of time?

I edit video for a living and work on some audio mastering...well and I love music with a passion. I own pretty much all the worthy headphones and to be honest, the Beats are not comfortable for wearing them long term. If you're looking for low end...I'd count out the Sennheiser's, though they are excellent for producing World Class sound. Out of the ones you've mentioned, I would definitely say Philips Fidelio X2's for bass... I use this as my daily driver and love them....the cans do everything well and are very comfortable. This is coming from someone who occasionally wears glasses too....

Note: You might want to look into picking up a FiiO amp as well...they are magic.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I have beats executives but I had a set of Pros. Sounded great I just hated the round ear cups. If I were in the market for beats right now i'd get the studios...either wired or bluetooth.

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I've never like the sound of any of the Beats. If I were to spend the money I'd look at one of these three over the Beats.
V-Moda Crossfade M-100
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Sennheiser MOMENTUM

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks for all the input, but I'm pretty set on the Pros, or maybe the Solo 2's. Again, I implore anyone doubting the NEW Beats headphone performance to check out this review of the Solo 2's - this guy is like THE headphone guru audiophile, and raves about the *new* Solo 2's - and listen carefully to what he says about the old Solo 1's.

Now, if the Philip Fidelio X2's were on Zzounds then I may consider them over the Pros - as then I'd be able to more easily get them with a payment plan. I value excellent build quality and the Pros have that in spades. And again, I love quality bass ;D

Would like to hear from others who own the Pros about the comfortability. Truly do appreciate the other input though.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I have beats executives but I had a set of Pros. Sounded great I just hated the round ear cups. If I were in the market for beats right now i'd get the studios...either wired or bluetooth.

How were the comfort of them though; how long could you wear them, did they start to hurt your head or ears after a while? etc.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
The comfort wasn't there. They're very sturdy headphones and they sound great! I could wear them for 45 minutes to an hour before going crazy. The round cups on my ears and my 2012 Pros were tight and uncomfortable. I'd really get the studios before I got the solos. Studios are the best in their lineup. Could wear the studios all day...if you're dead set on the pros get them they sound phenomenal they're just very uncomfortable and heavy.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
The comfort wasn't there. They're very sturdy headphones and they sound great! I could wear them for 45 minutes to an hour before going crazy. The round cups on my ears and my 2012 Pros were tight and uncomfortable. I'd really get the studios before I got the solos. Studios are the best in their lineup. Could wear the studios all day...if you're dead set on the pros get them they sound phenomenal they're just very uncomfortable and heavy.

Thank you, I think that seals it right there - I need a set of 'phones that are all day wearable. Looks like I may be going Solo2's or maybe even the Fidelios if I can get them.

Shame they discontinued the Execs - sure had excellent design and build quality, and with the updated acoustics of the new Beats they could have sounded fantastic.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I'm no audiophile so to me my executives sound really good to me. I love the design as well like you stated. I absolutely loved my pros they were just uncomfortable. Really don't understand why they designed them with the round ear cups...it's not the natural shape of the ear. If you don't mind me asking what do you have against the studios? They're absolutely great.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I'm no audiophile so to me my executives sound really good to me. I love the design as well like you stated. I absolutely loved my pros they were just uncomfortable. Really don't understand why they designed them with the round ear cups...it's not the natural shape of the ear. If you don't mind me asking what do you have against the studios? They're absolutely great.

I'm sure they're fantastic headphones, but -

I just don't want to deal with batteries. I would be using these headphones for over 5 hours a day, and I don't want to have to NOT be able to use them because their batteries are dead. Nothing against the headphones themselves.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I edit video for a living and work on some audio mastering...well and I love music with a passion. I own pretty much all the worthy headphones and to be honest, the Beats are not comfortable for wearing them long term. If you're looking for low end...I'd count out the Sennheiser's, though they are excellent for producing World Class sound. Out of the ones you've mentioned, I would definitely say Philips Fidelio X2's for bass... I use this as my daily driver and love them....the cans do everything well and are very comfortable. This is coming from someone who occasionally wears glasses too....

Note: You might want to look into picking up a FiiO amp as well...they are magic.

Do you mind if I ask where you got the Fidelio X2's? Amazon appears to be the only place that has them available, but with fakes out there I'm a little hesitant to purchase from there. Places like Zzounds are a different story, as they're the only seller and handle everything directly. Still, even if Amazon is the only place I may take the jump.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I'm sure they're fantastic headphones, but -

I just don't want to deal with batteries. I would be using these headphones for over 5 hours a day, and I don't want to have to NOT be able to use them because their batteries are dead. Nothing against the headphones themselves.

Ok. That makes perfect sense. I was just curious.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Get the Fidelios

I asked before where you got yours, but you didn't respond; did you get them from Amazon, or is there a better alternative to get them? Do you know if there's any kind of physical store that carries them?

I just want to avoid fakes, but if nothing else I think Amazon would be trustworthy enough for these.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Saw it mentioned and would like to add a +1 to Audio-Technica if you're still open to suggestions rather than being dead set on Beats (which you seem, but wanted to mention anyway). I own a pair of M50s and they're well worth the money.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Try a pair of Grado SR60's or SR80's. Fantastic sound and very comfortable for hours. I bought a pair of Beats headphones and they'll probably end up on eBay soon. The sound quality is nothing special and I find it hard to wear them for an hour at a time.

Another downside (I admit this is unusual) is that I generally use headphones at work, on board a ship. The Beats phones cut out external noise so much that at a normal listening volume I couldn't hear the fire alarm :).

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm curios about the solo2 as well, the wireless version though. Read good things about them and the fact you can use them wired when the battery runs low is a plus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.