Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Yeah the bass on the pros is fantastic. I could not ask for more. Now I had the studios 2.0, and they broke. I decided after Apple was awesome and gave me a gift card to the Apple Store to get the pros. I then decided to get the studios again as well. The comfort of the studios 2.0 is amazing. I have never had a pair of cans that are this comfortable. With that said, the sound is much improved on the studios. I don't know how they are to other headphones in the price point, but they are really improved. Have you heard them? The bass is only heavy when it's needed, and it does not drowned the mids and highs. The one thing I don't like is the noise canceling. I don't mind NC, but they have a constant hiss in them. It's gone when something is playing, but when nothing is, all the hear is white noise.
Yeah I've heard the Studio 2.0's, the bass still bleeds into the mids though not as bad. I prefer my V-moda M-100's. They kick hard but the mids are not affected like the beats.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Sorry I meant I looked at reviews. I don't have a store near I do not believe that carries them. Are there any chains that carry audiophile headphones? I would like to check some out.

The Microsoft Store used to carry them and so did Brookstone. I think that if you buy them direct from V-Moda you have a 60 day money back trial period. If you have a Best Buy with a Magnolia Home Theater section, you may find some cans in the $300-400 range. Guitar Center carries mostly less than $200 in store, or at least that's what it is out this way. Sennheiser makes some nice sounding and comfortable headphones, but some of them are higher impedance and not as well suited for a phone, etc without an amp.

Check your local area yellow pages for audio shops and see what they carry. Or check the website of the brands you are interested in and see if they have any local retailers. Finding something comfortable for extended use is important. So many of the popular models feel like your head is clamped in a vise. Sadly, Bose are very comfortable, but not audiophile quality.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
So I decide to buy the Beyerdynamic custom one pros. They are being shipped to my local Guitar center. The review I saw said they have great bass, and you can add a mic attachment to them. This is huge for me because I like gaming too. Can't wait to test them out.

Reactions: AreanFSL

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
Beats have a bass that is bleeding in the mid-range frequency, you hear the music loud and with lots of bass. Ath m50s are bass heavy ( m50x) but also represent clearly the mids and treble. Audiophile headphones have a rather flat response because people who buy these, appreciate the music to be crystal clear and everything should sound as it was meant to be. I really like the bass but also a good treble so I have Unique Melody Merlins and I couldn't love them more! The bass is there and it's hitting hard, when the song is calling for it, it doesn't bleed to it other frequencies. It's rather pricey though (880$), you can take a look at rha t10 if you want refinement and a vfm product . Take a look at head-fi but and I'm sorry for your wallet :p

Good info here. I wonder what audiogon.com forum audiophiles personal opinion is about beats.

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
So I decide to buy the Beyerdynamic custom one pros. They are being shipped to my local Guitar center. The review I saw said they have great bass, and you can add a mic attachment to them. This is huge for me because I like gaming too. Can't wait to test them out.

Good choice. Let us know your feedback on it after some use, here on this thread.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Good choice. Let us know your feedback on it after some use, here on this thread.
Thanks. I am picking them up today, so I should start using them this evening. I saw reviews that said they are so much better after they have been burned in a bit. I try to do that as well.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I've been following this thread. I picked up a new pair or Beats studio 2.0 wireless in matte black from Staples. They have a fantastic sale price of $249.99, which is $130 off retail. I picked them up on Monday (not my first pair - as I returned a pair to Apple around Xmas) and I was surprised. I've always liked their active, forward sound. Better balanced bass, but BT range was absolutely horrible. I've had other BT headphones that at least gave me 30 ft. of range including thru walls. Not these Beats. What compelled my to return them was when I want for my 1-mile daily walk. Had my iPhone 6 in my pocket and when I just turned my head to look behind me they broke up. So I'm back to the old reliable Apple earbuds. My dream of BT freedom continues.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
So I picked up my Beyerdynamic custom on pros yesterday. I have been listening to music, and I played Dirt Rally on my computer with them. Wow just wow. The music sounds amazing. The bass sounds great, but I can also hear all the instruments in the song. I really like them a lot. The only thing that's not my favorite, is how they make my ears hot. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch. I am working on burning them in as we speak. All the reviews I read said they sound amazing after being burned in. Can't wait.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Basically you need to retain yourself as to what sounds "good"

Listen to the m50's exclusively for 2-3 weeks then go back and listen to the beats, you should then be able to hear the differences.

When you say flatter, that's usually what happens compared to crappy headphones. Everything is more balanced but yet pops more at the same time.

Takes a bit to get used to, I went through it myself with headphones, car stereos and home theatre systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.