Beats purchase = Better music app/experience?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by BillyMatt87, May 29, 2014.

1. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

Do you think the Beats acquisition will have a positive impact on improving the iOS music app as well as the iTunes store and radio services?

I'm glad to see that Apple still cares about music.

2. Tritto macrumors member

If Apple cared about music they would have bought a reputable headphone brand. Instead they've bought a brand that makes very average headphones but has incredible marketing. Good marketing is something Apple cares great deal about.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

What would be an example of a good brand worth buying but has poor marketing?

4. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

5. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I expect iTunes to have a much more bassy sound soon. ;)

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Tim Cook is quite aware that iTunes sales have declined in recent years because of music streaming services such as Spotify, Rdio, Pandora and others. Instead of building a music streaming service from the ground up I believe Jimmy Iovine (Beats owner) and Apple will work together to possibly improve iTunes Radio and make it more Apple-esque rather than the mediocre service it is now. In Tim Cook's words Beats "got it right" with Beats music.

You may ask why didn't Apple just buy Spotify and get it over with?

With the Beats purchase:

- Apple has acquired another revenue stream with the hardware division of Beats (the headphones). As "crappy" as people think Beats headphones sound they are not only a fashion statement but they bring with it profit.

It's quite possible we may see Apple Beats headphones soon enough to replace the traditional white ear pods we receive with a purchase of a future iPhone.

- Not everyone may know who Tim Cook is but today's youth does know who Dr. Dre is. His celebrity status would improve Apple's "cool" factor in my opinion.

- Jimmy Iovine (co-owner of Beats) has more than 20 years of experience in the record industry. I'm sure his connections to record labels and the rest of the music industry would benefit Apple's future endeavors.

All in all, I don't think the Beats purchase was a bad idea. You can't draw a conclusion about a purchase based on your personal opinion of what a pair of headphones sounds like.

7. white4s macrumors 65816

wouldn't mind an upgraded speaker like with the htc's

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Also, I hear very good things about Beats music streaming service, that they use "human cumulated" algorithms that end up giving awesome playlists. That combined with the iTunes library, would be phenomenal.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This is from a magazine review of Beats Music

"At the moment, Beats Music’s biggest strength is its list of contributors who have helped curate the library of on-point playlists. This selection of guides and reminders lies at the heart of the Beats experience and feels like it’s been put together carefully and with the kind of expertise that music fans really appreciate. It’s also been done smartly enough so as not to seem alienating – if you don’t want to dig into sublist upon sublist you don’t have to. Beats is just as happy firing forward selections of tunes based on your own specific taste."

10. midnightvii macrumors member

Does this means Apple computer will start to have BEATS logo now? Remember how HP laptop always or some did have that logo? I didnt like it.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yeas and stickers too. Here is an example of what you will be seeing in Apple packaging.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this purchase would mean Apple will invest some development on the Music app which seems to have decrease in functionality ever since the iOS 7 update.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I just watched an hour long interview with Eddy Cue and Jimmy Iovine regarding the purchase. A lot of the message they were carrying was regarding the music experience.

14. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I hope it improves ITunes somehow. It's a bloated mess still.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I bet we will see (in 6 moths or so) Radio and Beats combined in a separate App (Renamed too) from the (iTunes) Music App.

On OS X and especially Windows it would be more compacted to make a standalone Radio/Beats App but....we will see.

16. Menel Suspended

Menel

I started up a trial account on Beats yesterday. It was surprisingly fun to use, setup preferences, and picked some fantastic playlists.

I think its great. Not enough to pull me as a paying customer. But I do hope it gets integrated with iTunes Match/Radio.

17. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

This can't be farther from the truth. Apple didn't own HP so they had to endorse them. Apple doesn't have to endorse anything now that they own beats.

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Why? It's their own brand now, I think they are not legally required to use their logo!

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Did you watch the video I linked to? :eek:

20. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    What's kind of strange is that Apple has had good curation in the iTunes Store in the past. I barely use iTunes anymore, but when the store first came out there were these W Hotel playlists (some sort of cross marketing) that were amazing in iTunes. Plus the iTunes editors picked great songs for the free ones of the week--it was just too cumbersome to find them and download them each week. And they had podcasts for a while highlighting new music each week. But the iTunes Store, just like iTunes became an unwieldy mess. I think the original layout of the store was a lot better than it is now.

21. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I don't know, but I recently subscribed to Beats music and I love it. Better than Spotify in the short time I've been using it.

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Sennheiser? AKG? Sensaphonics?

23. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I don't get this logic... Apple acquired Beats.

If anything Beats headphones will from now on have an Apple Logo on them. Not the other way around....

After Sennheiser you just started naming things. The other two are definitely not worth purchasing.

24. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Since when? AKG are a long established and well respected producer of pro quality audio equipment. Sensaphonics are well up in the field of pro in-ear 'phones.

I still think my Senn. HD650's take some beating! :)

25. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I was just looking at the Android version of the app right now and WHAM it hit me! Apple now has a streaming music service AND a music purchasing service on ANDROID. Right now. Just like that, without acknowledging the market presence (dominance?) of Android as would have happened if they had released iTunes for Android. I think that was their game the whole time.