Beats Solo 2 - wired or wireless?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylera, Mar 17, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I'm mostly set on picking up a new MacBook 12" after Apple announces a refresh of its lineup. Assuming that the edu deal where you get a free pair of Beats Solo 2 is still going on by then, would it be worth the extra cash for a wireless version of the headphones?

I'm willing to pay the difference for the convenience of wireless, and at the moment, I am listening to a little bit of everything genre wise.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

3. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I think kylera's referring to a "back to school" deal Apple offered last year which we might expect them to repeat.

kylera – I love the wireless Solo 2s. I only plug them in when I'm recording or something and need to minimize latency, but I find the wirelessness fantastic for listening at the computer, plus travelling or walking with an iPhone, et cetera.

4. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

As Starfia says, this is straight from Apple. If you're a student (or even a teacher), you can stand to get a Beats Solo 2 for free when you buy a Mac.

How would you say the sound quality on the Solo 2 is when it's in wireless mode? I'm not expecting the best possible sound quality, but I would rather have an idea of what to expect.

5. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I realized just after I replied that I should have commented on that. I personally can't detect any difference in quality between wired and wireless mode. I'm not the world's most obsessive audiophile, but I'm often a digital music composer.

On that note, I'll submit that regardless of the mode, the Beats headphones all sound a little different than other headphones, as though some of the mid-range frequencies are a little curtailed and the bass and treble are (carefully) amplified. I get the impression this is done deliberately since one of their originally-intended uses was for consuming modern musical genres. I don't trust them for reviewing audio I'm trying to master carefully, but I'd take them almost anytime for just enjoying content, whether it's music, sounds or speech.

6. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Are they generally comfortable for daily use? I know that I could go somewhere and actually try them on and listen to them, but I'm asking this because there aren't any shops near me that I know of that actually have the Solo2 on display, so I'm only going by what others have experienced. Also, how much heat do they build up? Would they be good enough for wearing in the spring and fall?

7. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

They're the first on-ear headphones I've owned. I think I've generally kept away from them, worrying about comfort – I imagined that anything that sat on my ears would only be sufficiently comfortable if they were luxuriously microfibred or something, and relaxation is one of my main goals when favouring headphones over speakers at home. I find EarPods comfortable, and until I bought these Beats Solo 2 Wirelesses, I'd used Sennheiser over-ears, which are very lightweight and fluffy.

It's hard to answer the heat question – it's not something that's ever bothered me so far, and I live in an area that's occasionally hot, but often cool or cold.

Knowing all that – generally comfortable: yes, I find them comfortable – one of the reasons I came to love them. They're not like velvet sheets, but the cups are a slightly rubbery, leathery material; almost like an imitation animal skin. There's a certain amount of plushness and give beneath that surface. It conforms and seals well, eliminating the majority of external noise. If there's any sense in which they're uncomfortable, it's that the sensation nominal pressure accumulates over a period of over an hour or more, and that's just me.

8. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Which Sennheisers did you use? Judging by lightweight and fluffy, I almost want to say HD598.

Do you regularly listen to a certain genre when it comes to music with your Solo 2, or do you listen to just about anything?

9. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

HD595.

No particular music genre – various music, sounds, audio, speech. (Usually not contemporary pop or rock.)

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I didn't see that deal being active. I was trying to see if they would give you a credit for use toward a different pair.

11. jfvelamoscoso macrumors newbie

jfvelamoscoso

I lose the offer trying because I was waiting for some release at yesterday keynote. So I will buy a mac, dk you think based on past expirences, it will be a offer soon?

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The free headphones are only available during August and September for a back to school deal and that deal may well be different this year as it seemed to coincide with acquiring beats last year, it'll probably be back to $100 Apple vouchers again this year.

More importantly beats headphones get consistently bad reviews they are expensive for mediocre cans, do some research in audiophile magazines and buy something worth having....