Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Hi All,

May be a stupid question but...

Bought Beats Solo 3 Wireless on eBay for the wife, got them unboxed in excellent condition. £110 on eBay,

They arrived today. They pair as you would expect with a pair using the W1 chip, i was also able to register the serial number to my apple account (As they've not been registered previously).

I'm assuming i'm safe just based on the pairing side, since i doubt counterfeits have managed to fake the easy pairing process. Just double / triple checking as i know the fake Beats stuff is very convincing.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I don't think counterfeiters have gotten out a knock-off Solo3. Apple seems to have really been nailing counterfeiters. Compared to years ago there are none that are particularly easy to order, such as on Aliexpress.

If the packaging and headphone feel real, it's real. I doubt counterfeiters would've been able to knock off the pairing process so quickly either.

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
You an killer deal tho lol I'll give $111 for it lol I bought solo 2 wireless for 200 before Black Friday and since it's my discover they cover Black Friday prices so I just sent the target ad which has them for 120 2 weeks before black Friday and just the refund check of 80 in mail yesterday

Reactions: MICHAELSD

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
You an killer deal tho lol I'll give $111 for it lol I bought solo 2 wireless for 200 before Black Friday and since it's my discover they cover Black Friday prices so I just sent the target ad which has them for 120 2 weeks before black Friday and just the refund check of 80 in maily
For £110 I'd be more concerned they were trying to move stolen product quickly.

If that's an case he would be cover because of eBay. Valid sale lol

tevion

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks guys, guess its genuine then. Didn't think they'd be able to "Fake" the W1 chip - but thought i'd check because of the price i got them for. Plus with the serial registering to my Apple account successfully.

Actually got it for £95 in the end, he refunded £15 due to a slight mark on the cups. Managed to get a friend who does professional cleaning to get it off. All ready for the wife for Christmas (As i've got PowerBeats 3 a couple of weeks back).

For £110 I'd be more concerned they were trying to move stolen product quickly.

No way of me to know that or not unfortunately, i'm covered by eBay if that was to be the case anyway.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
No way of me to know that or not unfortunately, i'm covered by eBay if that was to be the case anyway.

The worst case is it gets reported as stolen to Apple and the warranty is declined on them. Worth the risk for the price anyway.

Since they were sold as used that price doesn't sound too low if the seller needed quick cash. If the box was included the seller bought them himself/got them as a gift.

How does the sound quality of the PowerBeats 3 compare to the Solo3?

Thodoris_Roumeliotis

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
The "(Product) Red" includes also and white 3.5mm RemoteTalk cable except black one? ..I refer to headphones sold at stores other than Apple and Beats..Because I have heard that the "Beats Headphones" who include white 3.5mm RemoteTalk cable, {except "Gloss White", "Silver", "Gold", "Rose Gold" beats headphones}, are fake...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.