Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Got my son some Wireless Beat Solo 3 for Christmas and while he likes them they are awfully fiddly to connect to his Mini 4 - Press the button, nothing happens, go to Bluetooth in settings and reset bluetooth, wait for it to discover again and then press to connect. I thought this was all seamless with iOS10 and the new W1 chip?

I connected it to my iPhone 6s fine i.e. the Solo 3 banner appears on the iPhone when I hold the Beats power button for 1sec.

Not sure why it doesn't work on the Mini 4, any ideas?

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Yep, Control Centre and pressing connect to Solo3 works but I thought this was not required?

On my iPhone I just hold the button on the headphones and hold them close to the phone - the Mini does not seem to be capable of this

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I think they wil connect to the last device used automatically. If that was your phone that's what it will connect to and any other device will require going into control centre which is still better then pairing the normal Bluetooth way.

Reactions: clunkmess

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
On my iPhone I just hold the button on the headphones and hold them close to the phone - the Mini does not seem to be capable of this
That method of pairing works only with iPhones - for some Apple-reason. With all other devices, you have to put the headphones to pairing mode and pair them from the Bluetooth settings. After pairing they should work by just turning them on.

E: Fast/easy switching between devices that use the same iCloud account has to be done through Control Center (iOS) or the Bluetooth menu (Mac).

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
That method of pairing works only with iPhones - for some Apple-reason. With all other devices, you have to put the headphones to pairing mode and pair them from the Bluetooth settings. After pairing they should work by just turning them on.

E: Fast/easy switching between devices that use the same iCloud account has to be done through Control Center (iOS) or the Bluetooth menu (Mac).

I never had to pair my through the Bluetooth settings on either my iPad or MacBook Pro. All I had to do on the iPad is go straight to the control centre and choose the AirPods. On the MacBook Pro I just had to go to the Bluetooth section and again just choose the AirPods. Once they are connected to your iCloud account that's all you should need to do.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I never had to pair my through the Bluetooth settings on either my iPad or MacBook Pro. All I had to do on the iPad is go straight to the control centre and choose the AirPods. On the MacBook Pro I just had to go to the Bluetooth section and again just choose the AirPods. Once they are connected to your iCloud account that's all you should need to do.
Yes, that's how it works once you pair them with one of your devices.

Reactions: Mr.C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.