Beats/Video Game music

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by AliFun3, Feb 18, 2009.

1. AliFun3 macrumors member

Hey, I have a uni assignment to make a piece of library music, the subject is our choice. I have chosen to do a piece of video game music in a drum and bass style. I'm trying to learn how to make this sorta music better. Was wondering if anyone had any pointers. Such as the best way to create drum tracks, good way to get the old school nintendo sorta sounds.

I'm looking for some free software that I can use to make some decent Drum and Bass beats to. I have Logic express 7 for making the bulk of the track but its not very easy to make decent drum beats using it.

2. mim macrumors 6502

I know you said 'free', but have you considered upgrading to Logic Express 8? In it (I think) you get Ultrabeat which will do exactly what you need and more.

Alternatively you could look at doing it in a tracker. Lots (even most) of the old game and demo music was written in a tracker - FastTracker 2 is probably the most widely used and known.

There is a modern clone that runs on the Mac - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MilkyTracker

Never used it, but it will probably do the job.