Beats X Headphones won't connect to Retina MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hankster, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

OS 10.11.5 on my Retina MacBook. I just purchased the Beats X headphones and it connects to my iPhone right away. However, it will not display on my MacBook at all. My MacBook keeps "looking" but nothing appears. I've pressed the white light button on the headphones, tried everything...thoughts?

2. fokmik macrumors 68000

if your macbook is on your iphones icloud account, then check the volume icon on your mac (top right corner). On Sierra you get all of your wireless devices there,just make sure to turn on your beats

3. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

Easy one...it's connecting to you iPhone first every time....

Click on Bluetooth on your iPhone, click on the Beats X, click on the little "i" information button and "forget this device".

Then try to connect to your rMB and it will come up right away.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

You'll most likely need to upgrade your Mac to 10.12 Sierra. Sierra is listed as a system requirement to use the headphones the way you'd like.
    https://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/beats-x and scroll down to the "Apple W1 chip" section.
    With Sierra you will easily be able to use the headphones with all your devices without having to manually change any settings aside from the output settings.

5. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

My iPhone is not using Beats X. That's no the issue. I have everything turned off on my iPhone and the MacBook still will not even recognize the device. I'm wondering if there is a bluetooth issue with the laptop. And yes, I have the headset turned on.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2017 ---
    Thanks. I'm updated my laptop now. However, my concern is even with my current OS it doesn't even recognize the device. That's a problem with the laptop's bluetooth. I hope the update works.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Even if you're not using them with the iPhone, pair them with the iPhone once. Maybe that will propagate the setup to other devices. The iPhone is also how the headphones get firmware updates so that might make things work better in general, if there's an update available.

7. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I just updated my MacBook to Sierra but nothing has changed. The laptop does not recognize the headset. It has nothing to do with my iPhone. I have 100% removed the iPhone from the Beats X and the laptop will not even discover the device. The laptop's bluetooth is broken. That's disappointing since this laptop is less than two months old.

Also, just to share I know how bluetooth works. I've used bluetooth on all my MacBooks which is about six in the last nine years. This is the first time the laptop won't recognize a device. I'll have to set up a Genius appointment. Oddly, I had the same bluetooth issue on my last Retina MacBook (the early 2015 model).

Thanks for the feedback all.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

Before you take it in for repair, you might try this one last process to reset the bluetooth hardware:
    http://osxdaily.com/2015/12/15/reset-bluetooth-hardware-module-mac-osx/

9. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've seen that already. Didn't work. It's clear the laptop's bluetooth is broken. I even brought out my old Jawbones and they aren't even showing up on the bluetooth list. A bit annoying since I had this same issue on my last Retina MacBook. My appointment is in an hour so will see what's wrong soon.

10. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Update: For those who may have this issue.

Just returned from the Apple store. The issue is software with both my Retina MacBook and the Beats X headphones. They used three laptops and none were able to connect successfully to the Beats X. They would appear as discovered, but the connection would loop and then lag out. After diagnostics the only way to repair this is to perform a full reinstall of the OS on my laptop.

So, for now Beats X only connects to my iPhone 7. It will not connect to anything else (iPad, MacBooks). At the same time the bluetooth on my laptop is broken. It will not connect to anything without timing out.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

I'll bet that won't fix it either.

12. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Apple needs a software patch. My prior Retina MacBook had the same issue after one year. The Bluetooth just stopped working completely. The issue is the Beats X software is not compatible with Bluetooth it seems and the Bluetooth software in the Retina MacBooks have serious issues. I have a friend who has these headphones, he uses a Lenovo laptop and says he cannot get the laptop to recognize the headphones either. It seems these only work with the iPhone. Sort of sad.

13. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

The reason I thought it could be an issue is because of this statement in your original post:

"I just purchased the Beats X headphones and it connects to my iPhone right away."

14. lexmenard macrumors newbie

lexmenard

I'm having the same problem - after reinstalling the OS, did it make a difference?

15. samskow macrumors newbie

i have the solution you need to press the power button of your beats x 10s not just make it on
    it works for me