Beats1 Is Exactly What the Radio Needed

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 30, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

For a long time I have wondered "what would become of a station that plays good music rather than just the top 100?" and Apple has accomplished this with Beats1. Rather than mindlessly replaying the same popular songs, there have been a lot of genuinely good songs played. This is exactly what unknown artists needed, and I have been taking note of every good song to revisit the artist. I believe a major part of Beats1 will be the time that it is listened to. When Zane Lowe is on you know to expect unknown mostly good-to-great music. Yet I seemed to begin listening at hip-hop hour before since a lot of really obscure hip-hop tracks were played that frankly were not that good. No genre is off-limits it seems. I also appreciate that they do do a top 20 global countdown to break up the music a bit. I'm ready to replace SiriusXM in my car with Beats1! :D Addicted already.

2. Andrei90 macrumors 6502

But why is not live 24/7 !!!? What's the point as European of hearing the same things that I've heard in the morning, in the evening?

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Is it replaying the same programs as in the morning? I assumed Zane wouldn't be live at 5am UK time then live again later in the day.

4. zakarhino macrumors 6502a

zakarhino

Loving Beats 1! Just hoping they add some more native functionality for user interaction with the station. Example: Instead of phoning in for the Valentine Mixtape segment, why not have the UI change to call in or text in? They have the capability.

Also, anyone else hoping they come up with an explicit option? I.e, a button that toggles if you want to hear explicit songs or not. If I select that button, why not play me the explicit version? I might be naive in saying this, I don't know anything about the technology behind the station, but shouldn't there be a technical way to split the audio source from the presenter's mic/sound effects and the raw audio being played? I would have assumed all clean versions of tracks they've been playing have an equivalent explicit version of the same length (or at least, close enough. If not, I have no doubt they can just build something to fade out the beginning and end of longer explicit songs. Somehow I feel it would be a seconds difference, not minutes).

Anyway, I feel like explicit songs would perfect the service. Some songs being played are just painful when there's just _that_ much censoring!

5. Andrei90 macrumors 6502

It's replaying the same programs of the morning.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

An explicit option through two separate feeds or raw audio files is technically possible and would be completely seamless.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Personally I'm appreciating this rather than hearing second-grade programs during the early AM (EST).

8. Andrei90 macrumors 6502

Yes but repeating programs makes Beats1 not feel "worldwide 24/7 on". I expected it to be live for everyone all time, it shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

9. Andrei90 macrumors 6502

Seriously, I really thought Apple was going to revolutionize everything with having Beats1 always on all the time live everywhere. That's what I thought Beats1 was, what a shame.

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That's how it sounded it would be but I like not having to miss 12 hours worth of programming or being able to hear one I missed during the day. But no, it would not be difficult to have it be completely live 24/7.

11. Andrei90 macrumors 6502

Yeah, but let me put you an example. I was in my way home from work yesterday and I was hearing Beats1 launch with Zane, it was amazing. Then today I'm heading work and I wanted to listen Beats1 and it's the same thing as yesterday :(

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I like the other radio stations, but Beats 1 has way too much hip-hop for me.

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Unless Apple changes this, maybe you could settle for listening to your music library or a non-hosted station? Not the greatest workaround, I know.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Maybe it's just the first day (or perhaps a few days) that they are doing this for all the new people trying it out and perhaps still curious how it all launched since it just happened less than a day ago?

15. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It all depends when you listen.

16. Andrei90 macrumors 6502

I really hope so.