Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Bought some Jaybird X3s a few weeks ago and promptly returned them for the BeatsX. They're super comfortable and pairing is seamless, but the long wire is super annoying.

Are the PowerBeats as comfortable as the BeatsX?

cyberhound

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2013
Bought some Jaybird X3s a few weeks ago and promptly returned them for the BeatsX. They're super comfortable and pairing is seamless, but the long wire is super annoying.

Are the PowerBeats as comfortable as the BeatsX?

Having had both the PowerBeats3 and the BeatsX, I'd say the BeatsX are more comfortable. BUT... I think that might depend what you use them for.

The PowerBeats3 are less comfortable in the ears. The over the ear wrap arounds are not as comfortable as straight up in ear buds and are not as easy to put in, but they do help the buds stay in place. And, the cord around the neck is better suited for working out and running IMO.

The BeatsX are much more comfortable in ear, and stay in place as well as the PowerBeats3 when you use the right tips and wing set. The cord around the neck is longer and weighted. Not a deal breaker, but depending on whether or not you work out and how you work out, you may not like it. I am fine with the cord and it doesn't bother me during my workouts. I mostly do weights and cardio. I suppose if you did alot of jumping or the like, it might not suit you.

I'll share some other observations about both as well. The PowerBeats3 have more bass, but the BeatsX have much better noise isolation, and to me, sound better. The magnetic clasp is really handy on the BeatsX. The BeatsX are not rated as sweat resistant and the PowerBeats3 are. That said, the BeatsX are pretty sturdy, and I ended up with them due to the fact of returning 2 pairs of PowerBeats3 that stopped charging or turning on after 30-45 days. And, I prefer the lightning port of the BeatsX. One less type of charging cord to keep up with since I have iPhones and iPads in my house.

Reactions: ascender

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Having had both the PowerBeats3 and the BeatsX, I'd say the BeatsX are more comfortable. BUT... I think that might depend what you use them for.

The PowerBeats3 are less comfortable in the ears. The over the ear wrap arounds are not as comfortable as straight up in ear buds and are not as easy to put in, but they do help the buds stay in place. And, the cord around the neck is better suited for working out and running IMO.

The BeatsX are much more comfortable in ear, and stay in place as well as the PowerBeats3 when you use the right tips and wing set. The cord around the neck is longer and weighted. Not a deal breaker, but depending on whether or not you work out and how you work out, you may not like it. I am fine with the cord and it doesn't bother me during my workouts. I mostly do weights and cardio. I suppose if you did alot of jumping or the like, it might not suit you.

I'll share some other observations about both as well. The PowerBeats3 have more bass, but the BeatsX have much better noise isolation, and to me, sound better. The magnetic clasp is really handy on the BeatsX. The BeatsX are not rated as sweat resistant and the PowerBeats3 are. That said, the BeatsX are pretty sturdy, and I ended up with them due to the fact of returning 2 pairs of PowerBeats3 that stopped charging or turning on after 30-45 days. And, I prefer the lightning port of the BeatsX. One less type of charging cord to keep up with since I have iPhones and iPads in my house.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the BeatsX are great, but the wire length is annoying.

I tried the PB3 and returned them already. They hurt after 20 minutes.

Now I'm going to try the Bose SoundSports now. Hopefully these will be a keeper...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the BeatsX are great, but the wire length is annoying.
About the BeatsX wire length, here's a tip that's kinda like one of those "How to tie a double Windsor" tutorials:

* Amazing Newtonian Magic Trick that Makes BeatsX Look Cool On You *

- Place the BeatsX around your neck and leave the buds hanging down on your chest.
- Make sure the thin parts of the cable (between neckband part and buds) aren't twisted. Do this by pinching the cable between thumb and index finger on each side and slide gently downwards until your fingers reach the earbuds.
- The important part: While still holding the buds, turn the left bud 360° counter-clockwise, and the right one 360° clockwise). Now raise the buds (in semi-circular motion, making sure not to un-twist the cable somehow) and stick them in your ears.

Voilá: Instead of hanging in dumb, wide loops that makes the BeatsX look like someone tried to draw Droopy ears on you, the cable wraps neatly below your jawline, just like in those official beats product shots where the cable looks conspicuously tailor made for the wearer.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl

I tried the PB3 and returned them already. They hurt after 20 minutes.

Now I'm going to try the Bose SoundSports now. Hopefully these will be a keeper...
Most find the SoundSports comfortable, I went though the same process. SoundSports sound the best, battery life is the trade off.

sadappleday

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2017
USA
I've had the Powerbeats 3 since March. I'd have to say they are pretty over-priced for what you get. Personally I think the Jaybird X3 is the best since it has the custom sound profiles, and come with comply ear buds which work the best.

The Powerbeats 3 are worth around $60 - $70 at best, imho.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Agree with the comment above. Experience AirPod and you will never touch Beats again :)
Yeah, only... they can't be experienced, as they haven't been available since March or so. Maybe in the US, but certainly not in Sweden. In April the ETA changed to May. In May it changed to June. Early June the ETA was moved to July, and now in late June the vendors have all just given up and replaced the availability date with variations on "unknown". So... August then? Is that when I'll be able to get hold of a product introduced in September 2016?

Brilliant strategy, really:

1) Bravely remove the headphone jack from iPhones
2) Introduce wireless alternative to the EarPods
3) Be totally surprised that more than 10 people want to buy the wireless alternative
4) Do not under any circumstances ramp up production to meet the unexpectedly high demand. This is the most crucial step. Just remain perpetually surprised and stand there for months and months with your mouth open like some human nest box and go "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Airpods trumps them all :)

If this were the case there would not be a debate. I have AirPods in hand and WANT TO, WANT TO, WANT TO keep them, but like that standard headphones. can't get them to stay in my left ear. Yes it's different than my right. I have bought the ear Buddyz off Amazon but they're ok, they help, but not great. And on top of ok, to lose that full range of beats, and have to take a skin on/off every time I use them....not that great at all. HUGE sad face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.