Bebo Friends showing up in iChat Buddy List

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Iamtherealwoody, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Hey, does anyone else have this Bebo Friends group in their buddy list? It just showed up today. Upon searching google, I find that AOL is not supporting removal of this group. WTF? Im pretty annoyed and pissed that it seems as though they're forcing Bebo on AIM users. I never have heard of, much less started a Bebo account, and I even went to their site, logged on with my AIM account and removed the account. The group is still there.

Anyone else having this experience?

2. sdolla86 macrumors newbie

YEs!!!

This just happened today! I don't know what it is -.-

3. Aaron1701NX macrumors newbie

WARNING: don't cancel bebo account first

It seems that the only way to get rid of this stupid new section is to log into bebo and delete the friends you have on there. ONLY THEN will it be ok to cancel bebo membership. I made the mistake of cancelling my bebo account first, and now I'm stuck with the "Bebo Friends" section on AIM. I guess it's time for a new, unsullied screen name. :confused: When will AOL learn how to not piss people off?

http://bumped.org/tek/2009/03/16/aol-bebo-migration-issues/

What really gets me is that we're not able to delete the bebo friends section... What gives?

4. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

they wont ever learn, i deleted my bebo account too. well, it doesnt show up in adium, :)

5. Aaron1701NX macrumors newbie

I agree

I'm pretty annoyed though, 11 years I've had that screen name, and those asshats had to go ruin it. AOL apparently doesn't care about its members, with the way they just killed the profiles, AOL pictures, and AOL Groups (I had a bunch of family members united on there, and now I've lost most of their contact information). They just go pulling plugs and shoving useless stuff down members' throats without giving anyone fair notice. Screw them. And I don't have a Mac, so Adium is out of the question for me -_- The only reason I have a PC is so I can run my flight simulator. Oh I may as well add this: I used Microsoft Vista for the first time yesterday and it struck me within about 5 seconds that the operating system is a complete rip off of Apple's OS X.

Companies that can go to hell:
    AOL
    Microsoft (laid off 5,000 employees, including the flight simulator development team)
    Dell (with its $45 per query customer support, and hardware 30-50% more expensive than it can be found anywhere else)

6. WBMike macrumors newbie

I also want to add, for those of you who don't have "Bebo Friends" yet. As long as you continue using non official AOL/AIM clients, the buddy group will not appear.

This explains why it doesn't appear under Adium. It didn't appear under Gmail AIM either until I signed onto Aim 6.9. So avoid official clients until AOL addresses this issue.

7. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Well for some reason, its gone today. I just deleted my Bebo account and didnt remove the friend I had on it. Sorry youre so frustrated Aaron, I wish i could ditch my AIM account but thats the one that everyone knows.

8. WBMike macrumors newbie

I also made a screen name and purposely cancelled the account with friends on it. I noticed that "Bebo Friends" disappeared on the buddy list the next day. So it could be possible they might be fixing this bug.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's one thing I really hate about AIM - I HAVE to use it. EVERYONE in the United States uses AIM, so I have absolutely no choice.

I wish everyone would jump ship to someone else and let AOL die.

10. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Uh, I don't even know what Bebo is and ever signed up for it but I see 1 of my friends is on it and I keep deleting the group and it keeps coming back. WTF?

I have to log into Bebo? I never even made an account!

11. WBMike macrumors newbie

AOL bought Bebo last year, so what they did was move your AIM profiles over to Bebo.com. They purposely added that group to your buddy list and did not include the option of deleting it. However you can delete that buddy group by either cancelling bebo or deleting friends from bebo.

Log into Bebo.com with your AIM screen name and click Friends to delete all your friends on Bebo. After you sign off and on the group should be gone after a few days. If not you'll just have to Cancel your bebo account.