Becareful leaving your macbook connected to the HDMI adapter.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wallabe, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I left my macbook (2015) connected to the HDMI adapter, which is connected to a 1080p monitor for a few hours after I was using it and I just noticed that the adapter got really hot. I opened the macbook and got a message saying that some USB device was drawing too much power and it was disabled. All that was plugged in was the USB-C and the HDMI cable connected to the monitor. The monitor was in sleep mode for hours, but I think it was still communicating with the macbook and it was hot when i touched it. The regular USB port on the adapter had nothing connected to it.

Anyone else notice this? Just found out about it now.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, that's odd. I'd say reboot to see if that continues, but I think the issue is more at the hardware level and not the OS level

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

Whose hdmi connector...Apple?

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have not had that happen, and mine is usually connected to the AV adapter 5-6 hours a day.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

was it an original Apple USB-C - HDMI adapter ?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I have noticed once or twice that the Apple adapter has been warm. I think it was when I was copying some work files across via an external SDD drive, only around 6G but I thought it was odd at the time

I should note it was the multi HDMI adapter not the single USB one

8. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it's Apple's HDMI adapter. Using ASUS 1080p monitor and Amazon.com HDMI cable.