...because 16gb of RAM in 2020 is not enough for a G5...

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
View attachment 896161
I'm sure I read about this on the forum before and remember that you couldn't actually use the space above 16gb but I don't remember seeing a screenshot of that much RAM in a G5 and thought just for the fun to post this.
I need to have my boss trade in the 2015 MBP they gave me with 16GB ram for a G5 with 32GB!

Amethyst1

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2015
There's no space between 32 and GB - so maybe there's something... fishy going on. The Dual 2.5 doesn't use DDR2 either. I don't believe this.

philgxxd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
It's not mine. It's from eBay and I asked the seller about how he achieved it but still didn't get an answer.

Another screenshot...
20200226_150425.jpg

If it's a quad, shouldn't the bus be 1.25Ghz?

Reactions: AphoticD

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi guys,

Yes there is something fishy with that mac.
The PowerMac11,2 does use DDR2 but the bus for the 2.5Ghz quad runs at 1.25Ghz.
That shot looks like a mix from the 2.3 with some photoshop ;-)

Best regards,
voidRunner

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Ok, I retract my “wow”. It is clearly ‘shopped now that I look at it. Left alignment of specs in first shot don’t line up and letter spacing between “32” is too tight in Sys Profiler.

I hope this shady seller gets busted!
What an idiot seller. Why would someone go to all this effort to deceive a buyer? Seems ridiculous as the buyer, upon discovering it's not the system they thought they were purchasing, would invoke Ebays buyer protection which would undo the deal costing the seller money.

Reactions: z970mp and Nermal

z970mp

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2017
Uncharted Waters
Seems ridiculous as the buyer, upon discovering it's not the system they thought they were purchasing, would invoke Ebays buyer protection which would undo the deal costing the seller money.
To be fair, it would probably help the seller's case if he included in description "I don't know anything about Macs. Item is sold AS-IS." ;)

...Anyway, I disagree. If he wanted to practice proper exaggeration, he should have done it with vigor and abandon!

Here's how you doctor a spec sheet!

20200226_115251.png
20200226_150425.png

Now just slap in a story about finding the unit in your late uncle's attic, and you're golden!

Go big or go home!! :D

Last edited:

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
To be fair, it would probably help the seller's case if he included in description "I don't know anything about Macs. Item is sold AS-IS." ;)

...Anyway, I disagree. If he wanted to practice proper exaggeration, he should have done it with vigor and abandon!

Here's how you doctor a spec sheet!

Now just slap in a story about finding the unit in your late uncle's attic, and you're golden!

Go big or go home!! :D
I understand you're being sarcastic (at least I hope so :) ) but the seller cannot claim ignorance as they've actively taken steps to misrepresent the item for sale. It's impossible for the seller to have taken the screenshot they posted in the listing. It cannot exist because it represents a system which does not exist ( barring some unique prototype which was not made available to the general public). The only way for it to exist is for it to have been created by the seller. Because of this slapping an "as-is" disclaimer wouldn't protect the seller.

Reactions: z970mp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.