Because a) I've tried b) I've gotta

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DohDeckAHeedRun, May 6, 2008.

1. DohDeckAHeedRun macrumors newbie

Hello :apple: folk

No mistake, I love MACs. But I have to export a traunch of email from Mail so it can be made available in Outlook :eek: !!! Sharing my info with another :).

Archiving to .mbox doesn't help. Neither does using the files directly from the mailboxes folder - they're equivalent. Outlook is flumoxed by .mbox.

I've tried the Automator but this doesn't quite appear to have the level of control I'm used to in a programming language, and I didn't achieve quite the right thing. I've searched for utilities to do the job, and there are ones to try but I'd rather not pay if I can help it. I've also wondered if I can resend them all to a local email server and then download them from that server within Outlook, but I've no experience of setting up mail servers. Willing to learn if there's a recommended one.

Any :apple: experts been down this path? :cool:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The basic problem is finding a format that compatible across Apple Mail and Outlook. I don't know of a direct route but, theoretically, the following may work using an intermediary that works on OSX and Windows: Qualcomm Eudora (http://www.eudora.com/).
    1) Import from Apple Mail into Eudora
    2) Copy mail across to windows box
    3) Import from Eudora into Outlook Express
    4) Import from Outlook Express into Outlook

I've never tried all these steps together so can't guarantee it will work, but it may do (and the theory is sound :) )
    Good luck!

3. DohDeckAHeedRun thread starter macrumors newbie

Good Replies

Hi :apple: folk

Good replies:
    • Phil A's sounds like it could work for me from my current situation and unless something simpler comes along I will give it a go and post the results,
    • Consultant's sounds like it would work to avoid the current situation in the first place.

Perhaps I need to clarify: my need is to export a bunch of stuff downloaded from a POP account. There's no option at present to convert to IMAP. And (for this account only), I'll be using Outlook going forward due to co-working. :eek:

So I'm looking for the most immediate solution to that.

Thanks

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If the mail server supports IMAP, then converting to IMAP is possible. It's possible through IMAP to upload messages back TO the server. I don't use Mail myself, but I use thunderbird, and it's just a matter of dragging and dropping your messages to the right folder.

5. DohDeckAHeedRun thread starter macrumors newbie

Intrigued

My :apple: friend, are you saying that if my email provider supports it, all I need to do is configure the account as IMAP and away I go? That'd be :D

6. hamishniven macrumors newbie

exporting emails

Another way to do this should be ( I did the reverse from pc land to mac )
    export everything to thunderbird there is a mac version (and I used it for a day or 2 then moved to iMail then Entourage).
    Its made by the firefox team and is a great email rss app. You should be able to get it to read the emails from entourage or iMail via an export.

Once they are in there you will need to copy all the thunderbird compliant emails onto whatever you are using to transferring to pc, then you will have to mess about with the horrible configurations that pc as with profiles and users and hidden directories etc.

Once you have got thunderbird on pc with all the emails in, you will need to either export them all or import into outlook express. You may have to go via outlook to get to thunderbird....
    I'd use thunderbird in preference to outlook express, but that is a personal choice.

Its a cumbersome method and I needed frequent refernces to forums and following complicated but comprehensive methods that WORKED.
    just back up everything incase.
    It worked in reverse, so if you can export to thunderbird mac you will get them into pc land thunderbird and you can get them from thunderbird to outlook express.

cumbersome but it will work

7. DohDeckAHeedRun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

:cool: But: I'm still missing something - there are references to Outlook Express. Is this a necessary link in the chain?

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Something has gone terribly wrong.

The forums I know and love would have bombarded the original poster with questions as to why he loves mac address codes so much...

;_;

9. DohDeckAHeedRun thread starter macrumors newbie

It has ...

... gone a bit wrong! :rolleyes:

When did the original poster (I) mention filters!?!?

But as it happens, MAC ID address filters are very useful, nay? :p

Back to my original (intended) question. Who's in the know about the simplest process for getting old mail from MAC Mail into Outlook (not Express).

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Mord was giving you a subtitle hint that Macs (as in Apple Macintosh computers) are not MACS (Machine Address Codes). This has been a friendly newbie reminder and not an attempt to ridicule, carry on and welcome to the forums.

11. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I support the IMAP suggestion. If you can figure out how to setup your existing account as IMAP on both ends (very easy with GMAIL but not sure of your settings), it's quite simple. The one thing you have to be aware of is the potential loss/confusion when it comes to attachments. I moved years of e-mails from Outlook 2007 to IMAP and then back to Mail when I switched about 6 months ago, and some (not all) of my old e-mails that had pictures or attached e-mails now show as winmail.dat files. Not sure if the same will happen going in the reverse, but that's just my experience. Other than that, it was very easy.

Just be prepared to spend some time. You'll be moving all your e-mails back onto the original server and then redownloading. Have a movie (or 3) nearby. :D

12. DohDeckAHeedRun thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks. Good enough for me. Here's my plan (something for the weekend):
    • Set up a Windows virtual machine on my iMac :)rolleyes:)
    • Set up an IMAP email server on the VM
    • Network the VM and the iMac
    • Connect iMail to the IMAP server
    • The rest as per your esteemed recommendations
    • Export the .pst from the VM for use on my and my colleague's Outlook
    • Finally, get an IMAP email server service so I don't have to repeat this (too often)
    That's the plan. See any flaws? (no need to buy videos, there's plenty of entertainment on hand).
    :apple:rumors.com = :cool:

PS
    I like the forum thing, but am new to it. I am taken by its Great Spirit. I didn't feel ridiculed, only misunderstood - poor me. But then that was Mord's esteemed point - to be clear yet concise: hence it seems to be good practice to be spot on with your TLAs and *LAs.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

:rolleyes:

More like some of us are rapidly growing sick & tired of the nitpicking. MAC or Mac. OS "ten" or OS "Ex." We know what they're referring to, yet people still insist on stopping everything, derailing the troubleshooting process (AND the thread), and lecture the user on how to "properly" pronounce or type the term.

It doesn't answer the poster's question, and may even succeed in driving people away.

I've ranted about this before.

14. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

The "simplest" method would be to "FORWARD" the emails from one account to the other..

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That would be very easy, but messy. you'll have a hard time organizing your messages because of the header information will be munged. The mail client will see all of you mail coming from YOU, not all of the people who orginally sent you the e-mails.

It's really not that har to go into a local folder, select a group of messages, and then drag them to a folder on your IMAP account. The mail client should then handle the transfer of the messages.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Another vote here for the IMAP solution.

IMAP is essentially drag and drop (on the Mac, at least). So it would be simple to upload all your existing POP email to the IMAP account for access on both machines.

And if you want to keep your POP-only email address, then on one machine set a filter that redirects (not forwards) all incoming POP email to the IMAP account. And on the IMAP machines, set the Reply-To address as the POP account.

Dot Mac provides IMAP email accounts that can be easily accessed from Outlook. I think gMail also has IMAP support, too, but check me on that.

17. DohDeckAHeedRun thread starter macrumors newbie

Success

:):cool::apple:

Phew! It wasn't easy. It took longer than was warranted. But I learnt alot. And I now have a system I can continue using. What did I do?

Followed someone's suggestion (sorry, I know this is slack but my eyes hurt) to use hMailServer and IMAP. It's installed on my PC. Outlook connects to it. Mail on my MAC connects to it across the network. My laptop connects to it. So I have synchronised account on 3 machines (and am still using POP to get the messages in the first place).

Great suggestion
    :apple: